VIDEO: Unseen footage of Britney singing at a kindergarten graduation (1991)

Like I really don’t even think Britney’s level of fame pre-BOMT would be comparable to Billie before WWAFA or Olivia before Drivers License. She was a complete unknown. The way she describes her life before 1998 sounds so mundane. BOMT being better than CA or JT definitely helped Britney breakthrough more than anything. Honestly, if Britney hadn’t debuted like she did I don’t see any of the other MM Club members making it half as big as they did especially considering they really copied Britney’s first era in look, sound, and content. Jessica Simpson was literally signed as the “anti-Britney” and ended up being a one hit wonder easily outdone by her sister. Look around at all the young girls signed and debuting in 1999 and 2000 compared to  1998 and before and know that Britney obviously did that. 

:thirsty_britney_onyx_drink_flirt_drinking_sipping_fan_hot:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
On 5/11/2022 at 4:32 PM, IconicShow said:

What potential was wasted? There was no guarantee that her normal voice would sell nor be as marketable!

Britney and her iconic baby voice sold a ton of albums and singles, yes it be great to hear her sing in her more natural voice on some songs! I just don’t think she would’ve become the icon she is today without the sound the world got from her!

This! At the end of the day, her voice had already started to change in her late teens and you could hear this in videos taken right before she got her record deal. It's even more evident in songs like "Luv the Hurt Away" where you can start to hear the strain in her voice. Whether it was lack of vocal training or her just losing some ability, I think people overlook the possibility that Britney's voice may have actually gotten weaker as she aged. 

This idea that the reason her label made her "change" her voice because her natural voice was not as marketable is such a fallacy because at the time, the label would have had no reason to make her change it. The teen girl pop phase hadn't started so they had nothing to base her marketability on. What likely happened is that they knew she could not compete (vocally) with the likes of Mariah, Whitney, Celine and the other female girl groups that heavily relied on vocals. Perhaps her label noticed early on that her vocal abilities would not sustain her appeal but they saw an opportunity to do something different.

Either way, I think we give Britney way too much credit for her vocal ability. Not saying it's bad, after all, I didn't become a fan because I thought she was the next Mariah Carey. If I wanted a vocal powerhouse I'd follow so many other girls. 

• Love 2

Britney never had the 'best' singing voice, and that's not taking anything away from her - rather she has/had a unique voice which gave her edge over her peers when she first entered the pop world - others were belting out high notes a la Whitney, Celine, Mariah, but who else had a voice like Britney at that time?  She is actually a pioneer - everyone knows The Britney voice! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BritneyGXKB said:

How was it her big break if nobody knew about it? She sang on Mickey Mouse too.

Girl xtina cannot sing a SONG. She is not a great singer and in fact a great many people cite her as having the most annoying voice of a generation. 

LMFAOOO!!!!!!

Most delusional post I’ve read on this forum by far. Thank you for the laugh:haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, BritneyGXKB said:

How was it her big break if nobody knew about it? She sang on Mickey Mouse too.

Girl xtina cannot sing a SONG. She is not a great singer and in fact a great many people cite her as having the most annoying voice of a generation. 

By break, I meant it connected her to the industry and helped her resume …. I don’t think she would’ve gotten a record deal without MMC. 

but this is a moot point, we can agree to disagree 

• Love 1

To those in this thread criticizing Britney's voice - ask yourselves would BOMT, oops, etc have sounded better being sung by someone like Christina?

I think it's a perfect example of how in music, and art in general, oftentimes less is more.

Better technical ability does not necessarily mean a better musical effect on the listener. Sometimes it's the opposite.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, sunny_liston said:

To those in this thread criticizing Britney's voice - ask yourselves would BOMT, oops, etc have sounded better being sung by someone like Christina?

I think it's a perfect example of how in music, and art in general, oftentimes less is more.

Better technical ability does not necessarily mean a better musical effect on the listener. Sometimes it's the opposite.

I don't know why people can't appreciate both voices. It's like you can only like one and not the other. I like her poppy voice and her big voice. But let's be honest half those pop songs she's sang sound better in her poppy voice. Regarding Christinia, yes, she should take a lesson in less is more

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block