VIDEO: Unseen footage of Britney singing at a kindergarten graduation (1991)

Wow I'm never not amazed whenever I see her performing as a kid before being famous. Is that Lynne at the end? I guess this is the school where Lynne taught?

I agree maybe she wouldn't have become the icon she is if she kept this singing style so it might not be "wasted potential" but man, do I wish we could hear her full voice belting more often!!

• Love 1
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Kaitlyn Johnson said:

I don’t think this is as sinister as people make it out to be. She had a theatrical voice that wasn’t fit for the dance music she wanted to make. Her voice was good, unique and very adult, but never strong enough to carry a career off of vocals alone. She would’ve never made it past a few demos. Even her demo that was shopped of a vocal song wasn’t up to any labels standards, until jive saw something in her mannerisms that they liked. Britney is an entertainer before she is a singer. You can even see it in her movements here. 

Britney is a singer first and foremost, is the video not proof enough? The voice is an instrument, the way she uses her voice makes songs hits. That’s singing. If she was just an entertainer should would have been a model/background dancer. Music has clearly always been her main passion. Maybe you didn’t mean it that way, but calling her an entertainer to me seems disrespectful to her artistry. Thousands have tried to build careers off singing like Britney, none could do it. They tried so hard to find someone who could sing like Britney so they could sell the B8 album of unfinished demos, but ended up proving why she’s impossible to replicate. 

All I know is that a lot of girls have completely embarrassed themselves trying to sing like Britney thinking she’s “just an entertainer.” They completely miss her artistry and therefore her music, which is very good, too good to be the work of some generic entertainer. She is an artist who successfully entertains. There is a difference. :smokney_britney_smoke_cigarette_chaotic_2004_exhale_blow:

• Love 6
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Tar_isa said:

This is true. I think too often people think only big voices deserve to be called "singers", but I've always thought a good singer is the one who connects, and for me that quality is more often than not in the delivery. And Britney is a true master at delivering the sound just the right way to reel you in. Plus, she has a unique sound, which to me is more important than a big sound.

Plenty or frontmen and frontwomen in bands don't have big voices and they still are unique singers, aren't they? Britney isn't any different, but she's constantly undermined because we insist in comparing her to divas with huge voices, which makes no sense because they simply are different ways of singing. To me, it's a little like saying Picasso was less of a painter than Caravaggio because he didn't go for technical academic perfection.

Britney is a master vocalist and musician, what she does she has down to a precise technique that only she knows how to do. Truly what she does to songs is the reason why they are hits. Britney has gotten to where she is because of her MUSIC, she had next to no name recognition to the general public before BOMT. Her music and her voice defined a decade, not her entertaining. No one’s even trying to perform like Britney anymore, her entertaining, her performing did not sell 10 million copies of her greatest hits compilation in addition to 10 million copies of every previous album. Like, this narrative that she’s primarily an entertainer is just so not true and she has tried to personally disavow that her whole career, first with her third album and then really with Mona Lisa and all the other songs recorded between ITZ and BO. She’s just simply got it, calling her an entertainer invites certain connotations… and it was also the narrative mostly pushed by team con with the residencies. It just really seems like an insult to Britney, everything she does is so selflessly carefree and pure from the bottom of her (broken) heart and it seems like there’s always someone trying to tilt or twist her intentions, and it kind of ticks me off! Maybe Madonna really set the wrong expectation, Britney has never been that cloying. Fame finds her, she does not find it.

• Love 5
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Applejack said:

actually britney usually blew it out of the park. The director for "Ruthless" (the off Broadway musical Britney was an understudy for Laura Bell Bundy) said Britney was very talented, and that she took all the songs and wanted to sing them higher, only because she could. Even Jessica Simpson said she didn't make it to MMC because Britney blew the producers away with her voice.

Britney's voice is just a style choice. She's trained at that stuff.

This is false.  Jessica Simpson got shook after Christina’s audition, not Britney’s:mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, BritneyGXKB said:

Britney is a master vocalist and musician, what she does she has down to a precise technique that only she knows how to do. Truly what she does to songs is the reason why they are hits. Britney has gotten to where she is because of her MUSIC, she had next to no name recognition to the general public before BOMT. Her music and her voice defined a decade, not her entertaining. No one’s even trying to perform like Britney anymore, her entertaining, her performing did not sell 10 million copies of her greatest hits compilation in addition to 10 million copies of every previous album. Like, this narrative that she’s primarily an entertainer is just so not true and she has tried to personally disavow that her whole career, first with her third album and then really with Mona Lisa and all the other songs recorded between ITZ and BO. She’s just simply got it, calling her an entertainer invites certain connotations… and it was also the narrative mostly pushed by team con with the residencies. It just really seems like an insult to Britney, everything she does is so selflessly carefree and pure from the bottom of her (broken) heart and it seems like there’s always someone trying to tilt or twist her intentions, and it kind of ticks me off! Maybe Madonna really set the wrong expectation, Britney has never been that cloying. Fame finds her, she does not find it.

Britney’s voice is mediocre tbh.  She doesn’t sing live, and the very few times she does it’s pretty bad.  She had a great voice as a child but can’t even come close to that anymore.  It’s depressing to hear how she sounds now.  I’m so pressed:crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad:

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, mythology said:

Britney’s voice is mediocre tbh.  She doesn’t sing live, and the very few times she does it’s pretty bad.  She had a great voice as a child but can’t even come close to that anymore.  It’s depressing to hear how she sounds now.  I’m so pressed:crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad:

Yes you do sound pressed. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

• Love 2
  • Haha 5
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, mythology said:

You sound VERY pressed. Lol We haven’t heard her in years actually sing naturally, putting effort into it. Same with her dancing. This IG stuff is just in a whim. 

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, BritneyGXKB said:

I agree on some of your points and I disagree on others, like I don't see being an entertainer as negative at all but I also disagree with those who use the word as opposed to "singer" because I think singers are entertainers too (and she is both, in my opinion). I also don't think saying she had no recognition before BOMT is a great point, since BOMT was basically the first thing she did... how was she supposed to have any recognition before that?

But I'm 100% with you on her voice defining a decade and her music being the main reason of her success. Of course other aspects like image and performing are important factors but people all over the world were (and are) listening to her music, more than looking at her dancing. She has many many good songs over many many years, andmost of those songs wouldn't have sounded as good had they been sung by someone else.

• Love 3
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Tar_isa said:

I agree on some of your points and I disagree on others, like I don't see being an entertainer as negative at all but I also disagree with those who use the word as opposed to "singer" because I think singers are entertainers too (and she is both, in my opinion). I also don't think saying she had no recognition before BOMT is a great point, since BOMT was basically the first thing she did... how was she supposed to have any recognition before that?

But I'm 100% with you on her voice defining a decade and her music being the main reason of her success. Of course other aspects like image and performing are important factors but people all over the world were (and are) listening to her music, more than looking at her dancing. She has many many good songs over many many years, andmost of those songs wouldn't have sounded as good had they been sung by someone else.

I just meant that Britney debuted with MUSIC, she was a child prodigy who literally did it all, but music is what propelled her to stardom. She could have done anything if she were just looking to entertain. She wasn’t like a lot of girls going from acting or modeling fame to music, she trained to do whatever she wanted to do and she chose being a musician. 

Britney made a name off primarily music, she should be known as a musician first and foremost. :makeitrain_britney_blush_headphones_omg_wow_happy:

• Love 5
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, BritneyGXKB said:

I just meant that Britney debuted with MUSIC, she was a child prodigy who literally did it all, but music is what propelled her to stardom. She could have done anything if she were just looking to entertain. She wasn’t like a lot of girls going from acting or modeling fame to music, she trained to do whatever she wanted to do and she chose being a musician. 

Britney made a name off primarily music, she should be known as a musician first and foremost. :makeitrain_britney_blush_headphones_omg_wow_happy:

Ohh ok I'm sorry I misunderstood your point, I agree then! I think her musical talents are constantly undermined, yes.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BringTheAction said:

You sound VERY pressed. Lol We haven’t heard her in years actually sing naturally, putting effort into it. Same with her dancing. This IG stuff is just in a whim. 

We’ve heard her sing live plenty of times on IG and she sounded horrible:crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad:

• Haha 1
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, BritneyGXKB said:

Britney is a singer first and foremost, is the video not proof enough? The voice is an instrument, the way she uses her voice makes songs hits. That’s singing. If she was just an entertainer should would have been a model/background dancer. Music has clearly always been her main passion. Maybe you didn’t mean it that way, but calling her an entertainer to me seems disrespectful to her artistry. Thousands have tried to build careers off singing like Britney, none could do it. They tried so hard to find someone who could sing like Britney so they could sell the B8 album of unfinished demos, but ended up proving why she’s impossible to replicate. 

All I know is that a lot of girls have completely embarrassed themselves trying to sing like Britney thinking she’s “just an entertainer.” They completely miss her artistry and therefore her music, which is very good, too good to be the work of some generic entertainer. She is an artist who successfully entertains. There is a difference. :smokney_britney_smoke_cigarette_chaotic_2004_exhale_blow:

I meant every word of what i said. Britney is not a “good” singer by definition. She has a unique voice and can carry a tune. She would’ve never made it on vocals alone. This video shows nothing, other than a lot of discipline and hard work at a very young age.  Her voice as a kid was very grown up. Britney would’ve never even had been signed to jive had it not been for some creepy men enjoying the way she rolled her eyes to the back of her head when she sang. She was signed on a conditional contract. She worked hard, and was able to really work with her voice and give it that unique Britney sound we love. Britney Spears is an entertainer the same way Janet Jackson is. Mariah and Christina are vocalists. There’s no shade here. Britney is talented and one of a kind. 

• Love 2
  • Haha 1