Choreographer Brian Friedman claims that he created the concept for the Overprotected Remix music video

27 minutes ago, Shadow. said:

there's normally a team of people behind an artist on the level that britney was back then, its nothing shocking and anyone who thinks one person was soley behind her image is deluding themselves

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that Britney was the only person behind her image and subsequent success. Wade, Andre & Brian's choreography, Max Martin's production, the styling from Kurt and Bart, the direction from Nigel D i c k, Dave Meyers, Joseph Kahn & Francis Lawrence etc. were all absolutely INSTRUMENTAL in Britney's success. She had a solid team around her and absolutely no one is disputing that. 

What IS frustrating is that Brian doesn't even seem to acknowledge that his treatments (should his claims be true) were based on Britney's original ideas and concepts. However much he fleshed them out, if the original ideas were hers, he should acknowledge that. In his Facebook post, he credits his writing partners. All he credits Britney for is the diamonds scene from Toxic and the casting in the video. There's absolutely no mention whatsoever that the original ideas and concepts came from Britney herself, and THAT is frustrating. He takes every single ounce of credit for himself and his writing partner which seems so incredibly wrong.

• Love 1
  • Like 7

im sure he had some input but i HIGHLY doubt britney would say she came up with the idea if she didnt. shes known across the industry as someone who doesnt push for writing credit, etc. even when she has input (just google articles from people who worked with her). brian needs to relax, it was probably some sort of collaboration. 

I can't believe it's already been 20 years since this video came out :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

But about the concept of the video, I think it must come from a lot of talks and such. Maybe it wasn't just Britney or just Brian, but they would have talks during the tour or the rehearsals or whatever :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Britney was creating videos before Brian came into the picture, so it's not like she would just start stealing credits from the Britney era onwards

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Britney was creating videos before Brian came into the picture, so it's not like she would just start stealing credits from the Britney era onwards

I also don't think she would just stop creating the concepts of her own videos and let it all on the hands of others just when she got more confident and powerful than ever at that point.

• Like 2

Could it be, that maybe both were part of the creative process? :janet_jackson_chewing_eating_food:

Whereas Britney didn't hold back talking about her contribution at the time, he's just coming to it. :weusay_tiffany_cackle_cackling_chuckle_giggle_lol_haha_hehe_laugh:

People don't just come with a complete and ultimate concept. These always come crafted in teams with feedback, debates and permissions. :)

I believe both. 

Spirit Dancing GIF by Britney Spears

• Like 1

He probably did create the concepts

Britney most definitely added her input if he did

Regardless of what happened, I can 100% guarantee the record labels marketing team insured it would appear to be Britney’s creation and Britney would have to say so.

The record label isn’t gonna come out and have the main celebrity say, “Yeah, I didn’t do this” That’s why we don’t find out another celebrity rejected a song first till sometime later. It’s not good marketing.

We only get “leaks” or tailored scandals plus what they want us to see. We’ll never know ALL the ins and outs of ANY celebrity. If we ever did, on that day, the illusion of Hollywood would shatter before our very eyes.

Unpopularity opinion but I’m team brian 

yall just don’t like him n it’s obvious And are quick to follow the general opinion on here. But he’s a creative and was young.

i love Brit but she had a strongggg team behind her to help her become to star she was. Loads of stylist/choreographers/creatives don’t get the credit they deserve in sculpting/ making the star. Or seeing the potential the star has. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, itsxrichiexbish said:

I don't understand how he could come up with this idea..the idea is literally Britney's life, and if HE did have input, it was only from watching BRITNEY.... But anyways.... I will never get over how beautiful and fierce Britney looks in this video. Like OMG... Here I am putting CAPS like Jamie Lynn....

It’s also literally a Janet video remade 

he is taking so much credit over what lol

5 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

What Janet video is that?? I don't remember Janet leaving a hotel in disguise?

I mean it’s more of a tribute!
Wikipedia:

Spears directly referenced Janet Jackson's "Son of a Gun (I Betcha Think This Song Is About You)" in the scenes on the elevator and when she and her dancers walk down the hotel lobby. Both videos also use the same hotel setting, filmed at Los Angeles' Millennium Biltmore Hotel.[32] 

• Like 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block