Is Born This Way REALLY problematic?

Serious and genuine question.

I just found out new generations are denouncing Born This Way as a LGBTQ+ anthem because ''you're not born'' with your ***uality but you choose it.

I don't get it. I'm listening to the song right now and 11 years later, it still sounds just... Be yourself and don't worry about it.

Is this another reach by SJW?

https://www.google.com/search?q=born+this+way+problematic

I had no clue this song went from being an anthem to problematic wtf

:orangu_orangutan_ape:

1 hour ago, Speed X said:

So in 2022 people are still claiming that our ***ual orientation is a choice? :imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde:

From what google says that idea started in 2020 and ever since new generations say Born This Way is ''problematic'', '''offensive'', ''wrong'' etc.

Spoiler

Personally I think it's another overreach done by SJW. Not even OGH.

And I think we were born the way we are. Although we can choose to suppress it and live a lie, we still can't change what we hide. Fake it until you make it doesn't apply for ***ual orientations (in my opinion)

• Love 1
  • Super Mods

I was in high school when Born this Way came out, and I remember what a big deal it was. I live(d) in California, where a debate was ramping up about legalizing same s** unions/marriages. The anti-marriage crowd was really loud and perpetuating horrible stereotypes about the LGBTQ community, similar to how they’re now promoting even worse rhetoric and stereotypes about transgender people and LGBTQ kids in Florida, Texas, and in multiple other states that are seeking to write LGBTQ people out of existence.

Hearing those messages on TV, in the news, and in casual conversation were really detrimental to me, who was a closeted kid then. But Born this Way premiered, and it felt an empowerment anthem and a call to action. And I think largely, that LGBTQ people and their allies clung to this song because it was a bold statement during these times. 

That being said, I do think the song has aged poorly. Like, the terms “chola descent” or “orient” are not appropriate ways to refer to Latino or Asian people. And, previous thinking used to be that you can’t deny a minority of people rights if they were “born that way.” Like I can’t help being gay because I was born that way, so you can’t deny me equal protection of the law. But homophobic politicians will do that anyway… so idk, I think the song served a purpose when it was released, but as time has gone on, I just don’t think that it’s held up overtime. Just my opinion.

What? So SHW are the ones denouncing it? Saying you CHOOSE to be gay or trans?… that’s crazy, why would anyone CHOOSE a harder life with more obstacles? I mean maybe rich celebrities celebs trying to use LGBTQ to be cool or edgey or give them some kind of personality trait. I think that’s probably some small minority within the LGTBTQ community. There are probably people who don’t like it for whatever reason but nothing about it is offensive to LGBT PPL

• Love 1
4 hours ago, JayTawndre said:

Gen Z is so annoying... 🤨

As much as they annoying they can be (usually 24/7) they didn't have an opportunity to life through the fame era, the fame monster and born this way- Gaga's peaks so they're probably butt hurt about it (even though they won't admit it)

2008-2011 was a golden age of pop and nobody can change my mind. It was amazing to live through those years music wise

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, FreeBritBrit said:

As much as they annoying they can be (usually 24/7) they didn't have an opportunity to life through the fame era, the fame monster and born this way- Gaga's peaks so they're probably butt hurt about it (even though they won't admit it)

2008-2011 was a golden age of pop and nobody can change my mind. It was amazing to live through those years music wise

It really was! Even 2006-2012 😭😭😭😭😭

5 minutes ago, FreeBritBrit said:

Gaga is iconic. I miss when she fully expressed and embraced Pop 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block