What was the general public, fans, media's reaction to Womanizer and her comeback to ''classic'' Britney?

It was huge. I was in 8th grade when “Womanizer” came out and just everyone loved it. I just remember being so excited because it really felt like “Britney was back” . In the sense of like 1998-2004. Like it was just about the music again. I remember when her Circus  tour stopped in Pittsburgh - our schools morning announcements talked about it lol 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Obsessed

There was a 30 minutes Britney special on the music channel, they repeated Womanizer over and over again. 

Many fans were worried and said it like it is: She is a robot now... I was too young to realize what they wanted to say with it. 

A good time for us fans, but a harmful time for Britney, i believe. 

Her stardom overshadowed her problems behind the scenes (her family) 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

I think fans loved it

But when it comes to the GP, at least from MY experience, living outside the US, the people I knew, the comments I heard, etc, was that yeah, people liked it, but I started to see this disassociation in the sense that, for whatever reason, it's like people didn't really connect that this Britney was the same Britney that used to sing BOTM, Oops, Toxic, etc. I know it doesn't make sense, and I don't know about you, but for the longest time I found myself from Circus to BJ, explaining over and over that this was the same Britney, that Britney wasn't gone, that she was still making music, that she never really stopped making music, that no, she was not trapped in 2007 head-shaved and hitting cars with umbrellas, the most ironic of everything was people not knowing that she was the one in Scream & Shout, despite her literally saying "Britney *****". 

It was like the beginning of this blindness to everything Britney was doing from this moment on, and I still don't quite grasp how it happened or how it worked, but it was definitely a thing. For the positive and the negative alike. I mean, just think about it, FF era for example. All fans complained about how she looked and behaved etc. With how cruel the media was and everyone in general, don't you think more people would've made fun of her, like comedians and just like the internet in general, and I'm not talking about Twitter stans, but like, the actual GP, but it's like from the entirety of the conservatorship the GP was blind to anything that Britney was doing, good or bad. They may have HEARD the songs at most, but visually speaking it's like for the longest time they just kept thinking of Britney as this bald person hitting cars, so it was just unconceivable for them to connect that this current hit they were listening on the radio was that same Britney they remembered "ending her career" in 2007. 

Maybe in the US it wasn't the case, but despite the success she had with Circus and FF, it was definitely never the same as back in her early career. Maybe if she actually performed at the VMAs 2008, the impact would've been different. 

But anyways, that's one of the effects I notice since the conservatorship started. 

I know exactly what you mean, I think it was kind of the same where I live (Belgium). I remember so many people throughout the years being surprised she actually still made music, like they thought she had been frozen in time in 2007. They just kind of forgot about her.

• Like 3

Pretty big deal stateside, the media made Blackout look like a flop, compared to circus. 

I mean it was actually a good time to be a Britney spears fan, but again it was 2008, and we had no idea the extent of what was behind the scenes cos our mainstream media controlled the narrative at that time..

The whole world loved Britney cos the media did. I now know why..

But she had one of the best selling albums of 2009.

Circus was number 6 on the Billboard top 200 albums of 2009, it definitely seems like the last time she was on top of the industry.

It was very much a weird time..people loved her she had everybody loving her Music..

It looks different now knowing everything coming to light..

But yeah it was cool to see her on top, but behind the scenes it was a nightmare for her and beginning of something out of a psychological horror film for her..

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, britneyqueenn said:

Simple choreo is not always a bad thing..for example on Vmas 2000 the choreo was simple.. basically Britney just did arm movements for the whole second verse + chorus of oops I did it again on vmas 2000..sometimes is not about the choreo but it's about the execution-the charisma-the stage presence- the energy and the rhythm.. Circusney still had all of that.. Britney lost some of these things during femme fatale era unfortunately...

I think the difference is in the VMA’s 2000 the passion, the fierceness and the fire was all there. From Circys to Bj eras, all of that was gone. She was just moving from point A to point B and looked like she wasn’t enjoying her career anymore. 

• Like 4

It was "classic Britney" back, the build and hype were amazing, everybody was happy, song and video smashed expectations, and then the first performances abroad happened and people started noticing she wasnt really "back" or there was this sadness behind her eyes, of course back then no one even knew how bad the situation was for her.

It was an excellent launch/commercial era, but she was suffering inside 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, davidspears said:

I seem to remember a snippet of the song leaking and it getting bad feedback so they took it back to the mixing studio.

Yeah I mean the clip sounds different to the official version but then again the quality is terrible so it’s very possible it’s the exact same version 

3 hours ago, britney_rocks said:

I think the difference is in the VMA’s 2000 the passion, the fierceness and the fire was all there. From Circys to Bj eras, all of that was gone. She was just moving from point A to point B and looked like she wasn’t enjoying her career anymore. 

Circusney was on fire too..''She was just moving from point A to point B and looked like she wasn’t enjoying her career anymore. '' yeah you just described femme fatale britney not Circusney ..

• Like 2

I was at first a little disappointed with Womanizer, because I had seen the Mannequin rehearsal video that leaked and it was amazing, along with her dancing energy. Womanizer came out and it took a few days to grow into it, but then I got into a terrible car accident and it must have hit "reset" in my mind (I had a concussion) because suddenly all I could do was listen to Womanizer on REPEAT!!!! :cardi_b_yes_tongue_haha_cocky:

The GP seemed to really like it, I remember everybody using it as their ringtone or saying, "Womanizer, woman, womanizer," because it was so catchy, but also I think a lot of people were scared to talk about Britney in a positive light due to peer pressure. However, clearly it was a serve.

I knew about conservatorship because of Jordan posting about it but I sort of thought it was being used to stop the paparazzi. When she started doing promo for Womanizer and Circus, I was very confused because her energy was totally different from the Mannequin rehearsal video. We now know she had started to be forcibly medicated and this is what most likely changed her way of performing... not her fault. :canthandleit_cry_katy_sob_sad_tears:

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I think it made people forget about the 2007 days and remembered that she was a pop machine with huge hits under her belt.

Although I remembered that a lot of people started talking about her dance moves, she was more rigid and danced in a very different way.

However, the song and the video made a huge impact! People went crazy requesting the song on the radio. 

Talking about the video… it came out during the last days of TRL , does anyone knows if it charted within TRL’s countdown? And if it reached the #1?

• Love 2
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, britneyqueenn said:

Circusney was on fire too..''She was just moving from point A to point B and looked like she wasn’t enjoying her career anymore. '' yeah you just described femme fatale britney not Circusney ..

Circusney was far from Primeney though 

if you’ve been a fan since day 1, you could tell a big difference between Britney 1999-2004 to Britney Circus area. She had already lost her passion for her career and she was burned out. Her moves were not as fluid and she did a lot of walking and stiff movements. And knowing what we know now, I don’t blame her. Being surrounded by money hungry leaches will kill your passion. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods

It was seen as the resurrection of her career.

The song, the comeback and even her conservatorship were fully supported by the GP.

To be honest, 

I was one of those supporters but hey I was 14/15, I was still a young minor at the time who of course

didnt know about the legal stuff going on with Britney.

I do remember that it was an exciting time for fans including me cause it felt like Primeney 2.0.

This was the first era where I FULLY became a stan and bought her cds for the first time.

Womanizer was one of the first songs I downloaded on my 1st ever Ipod Nano when I turned 15.

so I remember it as an exciting time.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

It was seen as the resurrection of her career.

The song, the comeback and even her conservatorship were fully supported by the GP.

To be honest, 

I was one of those supporters but hey I was 14/15, I was still a young minor at the time who of course

didnt know about the legal stuff going on with Britney.

I do remember that it was an exciting time for fans including me cause it felt like Primeney 2.0.

This was the first era where I FULLY became a stan and bought her cds for the first time.

Womanizer was one of the first songs I downloaded on my 1st ever Ipod Nano when I turned 15.

so I remember it as an exciting time.

It was exciting! Womanizer was the first video I ever downloaded to my phone, and would watch it several times a day

Like she said in FTR,  "Its going to be like Toxic, but better" at the time it felt that way

• Like 1
  • Super Mods
8 minutes ago, reVolution said:

It was exciting! Womanizer was the first video I ever downloaded to my phone, and would watch it several times a day

Like she said in FTR,  "Its going to be like Toxic, but better" at the time it felt that way

Agree!

I remember the momentum she had with FTR and the VMAs,

it was perfectly calculated to revive her career and it worked.

Although I hate to admit it,

without Team Con, her career would be seen as a forgotten tragedy.

She would be a has-been.

I DONT support the conservatorship btw

• Love 1
14 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Yeah, I mean, fans fans obviously did know what was going on with her latest releases etc, but now you had to actually look for the info about her.

Yeah that's it, exactly! It seems crazy how different her presence in the media was pre and post conservatorship...so sad too, now we know more about it

• Like 1

I remember when a clip of Womanizer leaked when some radio person recorded a phone call preview of it, and that delayed its release by a few weeks. Everyone was so annoyed.

We also got For the Record, so we could tell that even if things looked okay on the outside, Britney wasn't exactly happy...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block