What was the general public, fans, media's reaction to Womanizer and her comeback to ''classic'' Britney?

Some time ago, I made a thread about reactions to Gimme More. Now it's Womanizer's turn but this thread isn't only about the song but also about her ''comeback'' to the classic Britney. It's honestly shocking when you compare 2007 and 2008. She went so fast from her ''naughty days'' to this perfect pop star she used to be. They changed her hair to blonde, she was releasing a hit after hit, her music videos were ''extra'' again, she started performing again, acting etc. and she was good in it and it looked really good, she looked amazing. And the album and the tour. The ''Circus'' theme... Like can you think of something more ''colorful'' and fun? They tried to save her image and convince everyone that everything was amazing so bad :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

Britney_Spears_Womanizer.png

But I'm pretty sure that a lot of you were excited as hell that the ''early 2000s'' Britney was back :ohmygawd_britney_omg_shocked_wow_holy_crap_gasp_shocked_itz_in_the_zone_white: You got Gimme More, Piece of Me, Break The Ice, Blackout album, Womanizer, Circus, If U Seek Amy, Circus album in such short time period omg. Probably a lot of you weren't aware of what was going on behind the scenes with the conservatorship :sobbing_unbelievable_wow_head_shake_no_crying_sobbing_sad: It honestly seems like a film when it comes to this ''perfect barbie doll'' pop star that behind the scenes is unhappy and totally doesn't have control over her life. 

circusephotshoot_(3).jpg

What was the general public, fans, media's reaction to her comeback to ''classic'' Britney, new singles, album, tour etc? 

• Love 2
  • Like 2

Personally, as part of the general public back then, I thought this was an amazing song, it made me finally respect her and her music for good. And I think that was the general sentiment, at least among my friends (most of whom weren't fans and just knew the hits and the gossip)

I wasn't into popstars at all but how did she do it, bringing not just hits that played everywhere, but hits that even I thought were amazing songs? I remember my flatmate showing me the video, and I think that's when I realized how good she really was, doing that after what she'd been through. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

I think fans loved it

But when it comes to the GP, at least from MY experience, living outside the US, the people I knew, the comments I heard, etc, was that yeah, people liked it, but I started to see this disassociation in the sense that, for whatever reason, it's like people didn't really connect that this Britney was the same Britney that used to sing BOTM, Oops, Toxic, etc. I know it doesn't make sense, and I don't know about you, but for the longest time I found myself from Circus to BJ, explaining over and over that this was the same Britney, that Britney wasn't gone, that she was still making music, that she never really stopped making music, that no, she was not trapped in 2007 head-shaved and hitting cars with umbrellas, the most ironic of everything was people not knowing that she was the one in Scream & Shout, despite her literally saying "Britney *****". 

It was like the beginning of this blindness to everything Britney was doing from this moment on, and I still don't quite grasp how it happened or how it worked, but it was definitely a thing. For the positive and the negative alike. I mean, just think about it, FF era for example. All fans complained about how she looked and behaved etc. With how cruel the media was and everyone in general, don't you think more people would've made fun of her, like comedians and just like the internet in general, and I'm not talking about Twitter stans, but like, the actual GP, but it's like from the entirety of the conservatorship the GP was blind to anything that Britney was doing, good or bad. They may have HEARD the songs at most, but visually speaking it's like for the longest time they just kept thinking of Britney as this bald person hitting cars, so it was just unconceivable for them to connect that this current hit they were listening on the radio was that same Britney they remembered "ending her career" in 2007. 

Maybe in the US it wasn't the case, but despite the success she had with Circus and FF, it was definitely never the same as back in her early career. Maybe if she actually performed at the VMAs 2008, the impact would've been different. 

But anyways, that's one of the effects I notice since the conservatorship started. 

I kind of agree with this (I'm also not from the US, nor the UK).  I think it's because even if we weren't fans, we grew up seeing her everywhere for so many years, first as a teen popstar and then as a party girl in gossip magazines, and then when the conservatorship started she was isolated and we stopped seeing her everywhere, so there was this feeling of her just not being around and when she came with a new hit we didn't have a fresh image of her, so we had a hard time associating her new music with a new image, because we still had the old image in our minds.

There was a feeling of feeling like she wasn't around anymore so some of us were actually surprised when we realized that song we liked so much was actually Britney's. I remember I loved Scream&Shout but didn't realize it was hers until I was in a pub where they played the video, then I said "oh ****, is this Britney's? where has she been??" And she had actually never left!!! 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Tar_isa said:

I kind of agree with this (I'm also not from the US, nor the UK).  I think it's because even if we weren't fans, we grew up seeing her everywhere for so many years, first as a teen popstar and then as a party girl in gossip magazines, and then when the conservatorship started she was isolated and we stopped seeing her everywhere, so there was this feeling of her just not being around and when she came with a new hit we didn't have a fresh image of her, so we had a hard time associating her new music with a new image, because we still had the old image in our minds.

There was a feeling of feeling like she wasn't around anymore so some of us were actually surprised when we realized that song we liked so much was actually Britney's. I remember I loved Scream&Shout but didn't realize it was hers until I was in a pub where they played the video, then I said "oh ****, is this Britney's? where has she been??" And she had actually never left!!! 

Yeah, I mean, fans fans obviously did know what was going on with her latest releases etc, but now you had to actually look for the info about her.

For example, up until Circus, I missed a lot of the leaked stuff, or rumors about upcoming important dates, etc, because I was used to getting all the info related to Britney through TV shows, or magazines, etc, like, Britney was always a topic everywhere during her first four, even five albums, but not anymore.

It was precisely around the release of 3 I guess, that I only found out almost by accident, a few days after it had come out, and I was like wait, why did I not know about this earlier? And that's how I knew I had to start looking online for her news, because tv wasn't telling me anymore. By 2011, I had literally started googling her everyday just to check if there were any news (that's how I found Exhale). HIAM and TTWE videos were barely played on MTV (Latin America). Yes, they barely played videos anymore at this point, but they did have a block early in the morning, right before I went to school, when they would play the "hottest" videos, but these would never come up, so if I was just waiting for them to show me the latest Britney video, I would've never found out if I didn't look for them on the internet. Now, the opposite was for IWG which was played like no tomorrow, and Criminal which was a massive hit on VH1's Top 20, all the way into 2012.

• Love 3

I remember she came across very guarded and secretive like nobody could touch her.  I think everyone could feel the difference betwen ITZ to breakdown and then Circus. Something was just missing. Everybody was trying to figure out what mental health issues she might have. It was like she is here only to get the job done. The conservatorship very much effected the perception about her. She was like objectified as a product making machine you wouldnt see the fun, goofy or even rebellious scandalous Britney anymore, she stoped doing interviews and award shows. This was weird and left us confused because we were used to having something always happen in Britney world. She suddenly went from being a supestar to catering for her fans. The songs were hits tho and still to this day are the most iconic Britney songs with the GP everyone knows Womanizer, If U Seek Amy. 

5 hours ago, Mattbaritone25 said:

I remember it vividly. It was such a hype, really. Everyone just love it, and fans were really impressed. We said "the old Britney is back".

Then, the Circus Tour happened, and everyone was wondering about how simple the choreo were.

Simple choreo is not always a bad thing..for example on Vmas 2000 the choreo was simple.. basically Britney just did arm movements for the whole second verse + chorus of oops I did it again on vmas 2000..sometimes is not about the choreo but it's about the execution-the charisma-the stage presence- the energy and the rhythm.. Circusney still had all of that.. Britney lost some of these things during femme fatale era unfortunately...

• Like 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block