Is "What it Feels like for a Girl" Madonna's best song?

Problematic as hell, Madonna, labeled the Queen of Pop by many made the best music from 1998-2001 for me personally. Absolutely beautiful music and I can’t believe how much this song means to me in every variation. There’s just something so spiritual and wonderful and fluid about this song 

I legitimately can’t get over it and haven’t 

The video version too 

This fan made William orbit mix 

wow 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, RreestriReegliReedi13 said:

i can say i like half of Rebel Heart more than this song

call me original :D :D

Omg that is original actually. The main song off that record I like is Best Night but I still don’t like the album as a whole as much 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, thebritmaster said:

I love What It Feels Like :urite_wendy_williams_red_yes_earrings_nod_proud_wow_impressed: It’s so vibey and the video is random but amazing 

It’s so great! The video is random. Why is she attacking so many men with this older woman from a senior home in the car? Is it supposed to symbolize them breaking all the rules regardless and remembering all the gendered trauma endured or something? It’s truly random but the imagery is cool. Was the video not put on MTV’s nighttime rotation because it was considered to be too graphic? 

I personally love the original mix the best that made it onto the album!  

• Love 2
Just now, rennen2.0 said:

I say it all.the.time. but I miss this Madonna SO much. I love this track, and just now is the first time I've listened to it in so long. I feel ROL and Music on repeat for the remainder of the weekend. 

Happy to be that person delivering that nostalgia to you

I wish I got to experience her at this time. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Rik said:

Happy to be that person delivering that nostalgia to you

I wish I got to experience her at this time. 

Me too. I was too young at the time to appreciate her (or anything for that matter). It wasn't until 2007/8ish that I started to dig deeper into her back catalogue. :otears_oprah_crying_tissue_napkin_tears_sobbing_sad:

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, MikeHunt said:

I remember when it was announced this was to be Madonna next single, there was talks that she wanted to have Britney as the main subject for the video. 

That would have been amazing. 

I believe she dedicated the song to Britney when performing at the Brixton Academy, London in 2000. The same night she had Britney Spears embezzled on her t-shirt. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, rennen2.0 said:

Me too. I was too young at the time to appreciate her (or anything for that matter). It wasn't until 2007/8ish that I started to dig deeper into her back catalogue. :otears_oprah_crying_tissue_napkin_tears_sobbing_sad:

I feel that! That’s when I started to check in with some of what was playing on the radio from hard candy and it wasn’t really for me. I was too into Circus 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, rennen2.0 said:

That would have been amazing. 

I believe she dedicated the song to Britney when performing at the Brixton Academy, London in 2000. The same night she had Britney Spears embezzled on her t-shirt. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I think if Brit had done the video, they could’ve really humanized her. Like how Framing Britney showed the misogyny, the unfair media treatment, s exism, and exploitive nature of a young woman. A missed opportunity but times were different than and even if they did make a video like that, it probably would’ve fell on deaf ears.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
49 minutes ago, Stefani said:

The album version is beautiful, but the music video remix is awful. It completely ruins the gentle trip hop feel of the original by turning it into a generic early 2000s Euro-dance track, and the video itself was pretentious as fuck and unnecessarily edgy. :grimace_judging_judge_squint_ew_gross_red_white_annoyed:

I’ve heard from others that people weren’t ready for the euro dance mix which is why is underperformed (YouTube comments)… but was euro dance  mainstream?

I think of this

2 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I think if Brit had done the video, they could’ve really humanized her. Like how Framing Britney showed the misogyny, the unfair media treatment, s exism, and exploitive nature of a young woman. A missed opportunity but times were different than and even if they did make a video like that, it probably would’ve fell on deaf ears.

I had no idea she was offered 

56 minutes ago, Stefani said:

The album version is beautiful, but the music video remix is awful. It completely ruins the gentle trip hop feel of the original by turning it into a generic early 2000s Euro-dance track, and the video itself was pretentious as fuck and unnecessarily edgy. :grimace_judging_judge_squint_ew_gross_red_white_annoyed:

It gives more trance vibes,  I think it’s a great remix :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block