Why did Britney turn down S&M

Does anyone have the list of songwriters for the remix?  Everyone says Britney wrote her verse and wiki lists her as “songwriting” on the remix, but I can’t find any actual sources for this.

Britney’s verse is what I love most about that song - it would be cool to have a credit source that she wrote it.

• Love 3
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, GODNA IS A QUEEN said:

Girl what? S&M is an ear-candy pop masterpiece. Also, there’s literally no difference between the original versus the remix aside from Britney’s voice being added in and slightly different lyrics. 

Ok, I don't have to break out my copy of Rated R. I've been blind, but my ears always worked. Had me thinking I was crazy for a second.

• Haha 3
7 minutes ago, G-unit said:

Does anyone have the list of songwriters for the remix?  Everyone says Britney wrote her verse and wiki lists her as “songwriting” on the remix, but I can’t find any actual sources for this.

Britney’s verse is what I love most about that song - it would be cool to have a credit source that she wrote it.

Britney didn’t write her verse. It was confirmed back in the day that the verse was written by Mikkel Erikson and Sandy Wilhelm. It was supposed to be sung on the OG solo version by Rihanna but they felt it was too explicit and gave it to Britney when she decided to hop on the remix.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I wouldn’t say the original is a disaster, but I do think it’s significantly better with another verse and the rest of the changes they made with the Britney remix. It’s a shame though that Britney’s vocals are not good and she literally sounds like she’s singing with a cold (which, knowing her team, they probably did make her sing with a cold). 

Both versions are boptastic. :matches:

22 minutes ago, Stefani said:

The song is repetitive nonsense - half of the lyrics are just "na na na", "come on", and "S S S and M M M" said over and over again. And the bridge is literally crap too with that "make my body say ah, ah, ah, I like it, like it" bit being the worst part.

The whole song just sounds like an adult version of the theme song from the Madagascar movies. :airpls_gaga_wheeze_eyes_wide_breathe_lady_lmao_lol_haha_hehe_omg_surprised_shocked: Plus the beat is basically the same as Disturbia's. Lyrically and sonically, it's unoriginal imo. :byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat:

Disturbia and S&M’s beat don’t sound anything alike. Are you deaf? It’s a completely different instrumentation, completely different producers. Even if you thought they sounded alike, so does Baby and Oops/The Call. So does TTWE and Blow. So does Tik Tok and California Gurls. Even then, at least those tracks had the same producers. Disturbia and S&M do not. Completely opposite themes too. :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: Also, ear-candy pop usually follows a certain formula so I don’t think it’s fair of you to even say that when I can name so many songs that also sound alike (yet are both good).

Also, a lot of pop masterpieces (especially in the late 00s/early 10s) repeated their catch lines. Poker Face, Gimme More, S&M and Blow are a few that come to mind. Doesn’t diminish the value of the song in any form or way. In fact, it was extremely refreshing to see Rihanna talk about pure s** and Sadomasochism when most pop girls were releasing overdone empowerment anthems in 2010-11. Lyrically and sonically, it was in fact original then and that’s why it’s regarded as one of her best tracks. Play it at the club today and everyone would still vibe with it 10+ years later. 

• Love 8
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Brat said:

The song fits Rihanna's aesthetic

And I think that's why having Britney on the remix works better, because even though she has a number one song about asking for a threesome, it's somehow still surprising to people that she could possibly down for something like this.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Well that's kinda weird she'd turn the song down for her own album but then she appears on the remix. 

I actually really like the song and could see it fitting on Femme Fatale. Although I'm not a big fan of Britney's vocals in the remix.

Edited by Isla
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, GODNA IS A QUEEN said:

Britney didn’t write her verse. It was confirmed back in the day that the verse was written by Mikkel Erikson and Sandy Wilhelm. It was supposed to be sung on the OG solo version by Rihanna but they felt it was too explicit and gave it to Britney when she decided to hop on the remix.

Wikipedia and Genius both list Britney as a co-writer on the remix (not Spotify though). I remember this was mentioned in a thread a while ago about songs Britney co-wrote/solely wrote and I think we all just accepted it as the truth lol

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block