Is Max Martin (or any producer) the real artist behind a song?

Over the weekend I embarked on a little research journey about uncredited singers mostly on electronic tracks.

There is a variety of reasons of why that happens.

During my research on this topic, I came across a claim that caught my attention :

Much of the mainstream pop music is the same artist, that is, Max Martin. He and/or the label use different singers on his tracks as a marketing tool. That way people are under the impression to be listening to different artists.

Exhale… what do you think?

Yes and No.

The pop star or the front person was always kind of replaceable in music. The mega stars were the ones who wrote and produced their own music. Which is why in the last 20 years so many artist take writing credit and its used as a way to push their celebrity and notoriety. When the image started to become more popular than the voice in 70s/80s, it helped sell records. Which is why there was such a wave of manufactured artist that came out. And it's still happening to this day, it's just marketed(lied about) differently to control fans and influence.

I agree that Max is the real artist, but he also doesnt want to be on stage singing either. He knows his music wouldnt sell if it was just him singing.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, jordeezy said:

Production, sound engineering, instrumentation, poetry and singing are all arts separately - a pop song is a combination of all of these. Therefore, all pop songs are collabs between artists. 

This is the most objective explanation about it.

Thank you.

• Love 1
On 3/10/2022 at 6:14 AM, Avatar said:

The mega stars were the ones who wrote and produced their own music.

That doesn't explain how Rihanna became a mega star considering that she neither writes nor produces her own music (not counting the times she changed a single word in the lyrics and got a co-writing credit by default). 

18 hours ago, Stefani said:

That doesn't explain how Rihanna became a mega star considering that she neither writes nor produces her own music (not counting the times she changed a single word in the lyrics and got a co-writing credit by default). 

I was talking about the artist from the 60-80s, most of the ones that had staying power, were the ones that had the most control over their career and finances. Literally the reason why we stop hearing from so many artist is because they go broke (bad deals and not writing their music) or don't care for the fame once they get it.

Rihanna was actually going to be dropped from her label after the first/second album, but she had to come completely out of pocket to get another chance which is when she got her hit Umbrella and had one of the best selling albums of the year. Her team and consistency is what made her a mega star. I think the only reason she put out albums almost every year, was so she could take a break now and finally become financially free. I think she just missed out on when 360 deals became prominent where the label gets a cut of tour and sponsorship money.

I think fans still glamorize entertainers because of the fame. But it's really like any other job. They all get underpaid in the beginning and can be fired without notice at any time. Mariah got dropped because of Glitter. It didnt even matter that she wrote 20 top ten singles. Britney was going to be dropped after Blackout if Circus wasnt a hit.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block