22 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

Sarah Connor from Germany

It’s giving Mary J Blige :lizzie_oops_dancing_red_maguire_hillary_duff:  me pressing play and automatically boppin like “Let's get it crunk up on 
Have fun up on, up in this dancery
We got ya'll open, now ya floatin'
So you gots to dance for me
Don't need no hateration 
Holleration in this dancery
Let's get it percolatin', while you're waitin'
So just dance for me” :tifflmao_lol_haha_hehe_miss_new_york_laugh_ms_tiffany_pollard_cackle:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

It’s giving Mary J Blige :lizzie_oops_dancing_red_maguire_hillary_duff:  me pressing play and automatically boppin like “Let's get it crunk up on 
Have fun up on, up in this dancery
We got ya'll open, now ya floatin'
So you gots to dance for me
Don't need no hateration 
Holleration in this dancery
Let's get it percolatin', while you're waitin'
So just dance for me” :tifflmao_lol_haha_hehe_miss_new_york_laugh_ms_tiffany_pollard_cackle:

I didn’t even make that connection but you’re so right :spit_lmao_spitting_spraying_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_jlaw_jennifer_lawrence: Mary J and nasty bob haircut 

spacer.png

• Haha 1
On 3/4/2022 at 8:21 PM, DonMegaX said:

I wouldn't call Jessica Simpson a clone per se. More like a victim of trying to replicate Britney. She was a 19 year old Texan who was adverse to dancing. With double Ds. Columbia and Tommy Mottola gave that girl body issues trying to get her to "be Britney".

Agree with you! But I would call Jessica Simpson trying to be Mariah Carey meets Britney Spears.

IMO/how I interpret it: Jessica Simpson was signed to Columbia by Tommy. Around 99 Tommy was mad at Mariah about the divorce/she leaving Sony for virgin and wanted to use Jessica to recreate that sounds/look. Yes he wanted his own Britney aka the look but also wanted someone with a big voice aka mariah. Jessica didn’t work out as needed and he used J.Lo… the rest is history. 

Again my opinion/how I interpret it or maybe I’m just crazy and trying to make two puzzle pieces that don’t connect to connect spacer.png

And the thing is, Sweet Kisses was their Mariah attempt, yes. But visually, they were trying to s** her up. Now yes, she was/is older than Britney, but...because she developed early, she wasn't comfortable in her skin for that. Like, where Britney tied her shirt up and scandalized the children, Jessica was NOT going to do that. She literally, if Columbia let her be herself, could have been the Britney everyone wanted Britney to be, openly virginal, "conservatively" dressed with the addition of this booming voice. But they threw that out the window come her second album and she's quoted him as saying he wanted Janet Jackson abs.

Jessica, in her own words, was simply trying to please all these people, to the detriment of her health and self-esteem. And it's a shame, because I personally believe Sweet Kisses was a better album than Baby One More Time. But she had to escape the pop landscape for her own health. Highly recommend reading her book.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

In Sweden - we have a a lot of amazing pop girls, inspired by Britney. Maybe mainly because Britney music is Swede-produced. But I would say this one is the most "Britney copycat" from the 2000's. Fun fact - Produced by Jörgen Elofsson (He wrote Sometimes and Crazy)

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Sweet Kisses may have sounded more Mariah, but Britney’s influence is definitely seen in the promotion. I think that the “I Think I’m in Love with You” video would have looked a lot different without Brit’s influence.

I love the John Mellencamp sample here! I remember seeing this on the Disney Channel when I was little and it was the first song of hers that really resonated with me. While they shouldn’t have pushed her to be Britney, I do think ballads as pop hits were much more a 90s thing and pretty much on the way out of pop radio around this point. I wonder what her 2nd album would have been like if she were allowed to evolve her own way

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block