Amanda Bynes' conservatorship is officially terminated

Cap87

Happy for her. I hope she can find a good support system. Happiness is possible with mental illness and no one should be forced to give up their rights because they’re struggling.

one of the biggest flaws in this system is how judges are allowed to grant conservatorships on a whim even though the law clearly defines what a cship is for and when it’s supposed to be used. Yet judges strip people off their rights and freedoms for simply struggling in life and no one ever intervenes because judges have too much power, no one gives a **** and mentally ill people in general aren’t protected from abuse in the justice system. The opposite, they’re the most abused.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, DonMegaX said:

Depends on the parameters of the Power of Attorney. There are Special Power of Attorneys, where a narrow focus of what the person has control of, and General Power of Attorneys, that give total control. General Power of Attorneys are usually frowned upon because...total control over another person's...everything. I had to get a Power of Attorney for my deployment to Iraq,

I should really shred it one of these days.

wouldn't general power of attorney be the same as a cship, if it gives total control?

it seems to that me if a Special Power of attorney could focus on control of a certain area, like medical, then I think this would have been a better alternative for Britney and amanda

1 hour ago, queenofhearts said:

wouldn't general power of attorney be the same as a cship, if it gives total control?

And that is why they are greatly frowned upon.

1 hour ago, queenofhearts said:

it seems to that me if a Special Power of attorney could focus on control of a certain area, like medical, then I think this would have been a better alternative for Britney and amanda

Except, you have to be seen as of being of sound mind and body. And when they're talking 5150s and the media has done a full on blitz saying something is wrong with you, you not getting that POA notarized. Because they, Amanda and Britney, would have to initiate that paperwork. 

• Like 2
On 3/22/2022 at 11:47 PM, DonMegaX said:

Depends on the parameters of the Power of Attorney. There are Special Power of Attorneys, where a narrow focus of what the person has control of, and General Power of Attorneys, that give total control. General Power of Attorneys are usually frowned upon because...total control over another person's...everything. I had to get a Power of Attorney for my deployment to Iraq,

I should really shred it one of these days.

In my case, it would only give someone control to make health care decisions for me if I'm completely incapacitated, if I'm physically unable to make decisions for myself. Like if I get in a serious accident or something. So I'm guessing that's special power of attorney right?

• Like 1
Just now, danny1994 said:

In my case, it would only give someone control to make health care decisions for me if I'm completely incapacitated, if I'm physically unable to make decisions for myself. Like if I get in a serious accident or something. So I'm guessing that's special power of attorney right?

That's more living will, something you set up in case you get in a bad accident that leaves you unconscious or in a coma, which can lead into DNRs and such. I literally just shredded all of that stuff (it was eleven years and a marriage ago old, so as y'all would say, dated) or else I'd be able to go into better detail. This is just off the top of my head.

6 minutes ago, DonMegaX said:

That's more living will, something you set up in case you get in a bad accident that leaves you unconscious or in a coma, which can lead into DNRs and such. I literally just shredded all of that stuff (it was eleven years and a marriage ago old, so as y'all would say, dated) or else I'd be able to go into better detail. This is just off the top of my head.

I think a living will is when someone says in advance what decisions they want to be made in what-if scenarios, a power of attorney is when you give someone you trust discretion to make decisions. The latter is what I have arranged.

Actually now that I think about it, what I have might be called a "health care proxy". I'll need to double check.

Edit: Yep, that's what it is. Health Care Proxy.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block