People: "Pam & Tommy Is 'Like Re-Opening a Wound' for Pamela Anderson, Says Source"

jennyj

"It's unfair that she is being re-subjected to this trauma, like re-opening a wound," a source tells PEOPLE

I love Lily James, and she did a phenomenal job with acting in this show. But it seems Pamela and Tommy, who are both still alive, are not even involved with this show. And just like their stolen s** tape which they made $0 from, they're also not making any money from this show as well. 

Similar to what Britney has said about the documentaries she had zero involvement in, the source says Pamela is traumatized by this show as it's "re-opening old wounds" which she closed. While the show tries to bring justice to their story, it's hypocritical by doing the exact same thing by exploiting them and making money off of it.

Last year, Pamela announced she's leaving social media to live in peace and not the let industry control her. Her last post was a blurry screenshot of an old pic with a deep caption mentioning "I am free" and wishing everyone try not to be seduced by wasting time on social media, as these companies are making money while controlling your attention span.  She's been living a quiet life free from the drama and industry.  But now this show is bringing her back into the spotlight without her blessing or go ahead.  

Courtney Love (who's also shown support for #FreeBritney who faced similar media exploitation) 
"I find this so f—ing outrageous," Love wrote in her post. "When Pam / Tommy s** tape was out / myself @pattyschemel @xmadmx were making a record. And the lone women in many recording studios in LA. Where all / ALL! The staff engineers / producers / owners / were watching the s** tape with huge schadenfraude.. Guffaws, It was disgusting. I banned anyone discussing it.. It destroyed my friend Pamelas life. Utterly."

Hulu's new series, Pam & Tommy is revisiting "a very traumatic time" of Pamela Anderson's life, a source tells PEOPLE.

In the late '90s, Anderson and then-husband Tommy Lee were at the center of a scandal when a safe containing an almost hour-long s** tape, which had been filmed during their honeymoon, was stolen by a disgruntled former employee who leaked the tape to the public.

Following the premiere of Hulu's eight-episode limited series on Wednesday, the source, who was close to the situation at the time, says "there's a sense that the show is re-exploiting Pamela."

"After the tape was made public, it was a very traumatizing situation and it's unfair that she is being re-subjected to this trauma, like re-opening a wound," the source says.

"Pamela deserves a level of respect. She's a human being and a mom. There's a sense of hypocrisy about it. It's her life and she should have the decision [as to] whether it's turned into a commodity for public consumption," the source continues.

Anderson became hugely famous after she was on Baywatch and after she married Lee. "Then when [the leaked s** tape] happened, there were paparazzi following her and always outside of her home. She was not seeking any more attention — she had enough," the source says.

"If you go back to her Playboy [cover], she always had the perspective that that was her conscious choice," the source says. "But somebody taking her personal home movie, that was not her choice. When someone steals your home movie, that is criminal and that's a violation. That was her privacy."

The source adds, "This was a very traumatic time of her life. She's a really good person and I think all she's really ever wanted was to be married and have a partner and have a nice life."

The first three episodes of Pam & Tommy were released on Hulu on Wednesday. The miniseries, which stars Lily James as Pam and Sebastian Stan as Tommy, recounts the former couple's four-day courtship leading up to their wedding on a Mexican beach in 1995, as well as the making and subsequent scandal of their s** tape.

At the time, Anderson and Lee tried to block the video's release by suing the distributor, Internet Entertainment Group. They eventually reached a confidential settlement but the tape was still released publicly.

"I've never seen it. I made not one dollar. It was stolen property. We made a deal to stop all the shenanigans," Anderson said on Watch What Happens Live in 2015.

"I was seven months pregnant with [son] Dylan and thinking it was affecting the pregnancy with the stress and said, 'I'm not going to court anymore. I'm not being deposed anymore by these *****, weird lawyer men. I don't want to talk about my ******* anymore or my public s** — anything,' " Anderson said at the time.

Earlier this month, James, 32, revealed in a cover story for Net-a-Porter's Porter that she reached out to Anderson ahead of shooting the series in hopes of having her involved in the project. However, James said she didn't get a response.

"I was really hopeful that she would be involved. I wish it had been different," James told the outlet. "My sole intention was to take care of the story and to play Pamela authentically. I was very hopeful that we would be in touch right up until we started filming."

Though Anderson has not commented on the show, her friend Courtney Love didn't hold back her feelings while addressing the series on Facebook last May.

"I find this so f—ing outrageous," Love wrote in her post. "When Pam / Tommy s** tape was out / myself @pattyschemel @xmadmx were making a record. And the lone women in many recording studios in LA. Where all / ALL! The staff engineers / producers / owners / were watching the s** tape with huge schadenfraude.. Guffaws, It was disgusting. I banned anyone discussing it.. It destroyed my friend Pamelas life. Utterly."

Love also called out James, writing, "My heart goes out to Pammy ♥️♥️ further causing her complex trauma. And shame on Lily James whoever the f— she is. #vile."

Pam & Tommy Is 'Re-Exploiting' Pamela Anderson, Says Source | PEOPLE.com

actress-pamela-anderson-attends-coco-eco

On a side note, I noticed Lily James who plays Pamela and who also gets anxiety when doing 1-to-1 interviews has very similar anxious movements like Britney (foot shaking, hand grasping/fiddling, hair flipping, extra blinking).  It's pretty interesting, but shows these are common coping mechanisms when doing something you're anxious/nervous about and not some Britney-only weird thing. Even I sometimes do these kind of things but moreso when presenting in front of large groups than small.  Lily looks gorgeous btw. 

• Like 2

I read that when they casted Lily and Pam said she didn't like that their were doing a show without her approval. :decisions_britney_thinking_confused_focusing_unsure_xfactor_bw_black_white:

Lily looks so much like her! And sounds like I remember she sounds :wigsnatched_point_you_wow_yes_yas: I was shook to know that she was Cinderella :fakewow_selena_surprised_shocked:

Does someone know why they can make movies/series about people without their approval? I never thought of that until Drag Race and how they can't do fictional characters on Snatch Game because of copyrighy, bu they can do the actress/actor and act like the character lol

• Love 1
7 hours ago, stanLOONA said:

I read that when they casted Lily and Pam said she didn't like that their were doing a show without her approval. :decisions_britney_thinking_confused_focusing_unsure_xfactor_bw_black_white:

Lily looks so much like her! And sounds like I remember she sounds :wigsnatched_point_you_wow_yes_yas: I was shook to know that she was Cinderella :fakewow_selena_surprised_shocked:

Does someone know why they can make movies/series about people without their approval? I never thought of that until Drag Race and how they can't do fictional characters on Snatch Game because of copyrighy, bu they can do the actress/actor and act like the character lol

Janet Jackson said it best.

She did the documentary cos they are several unauthorized bios, and only one by the artist that's authorized.  

For janet that was True you, I'm shocked she dealt more with rene cos in 2011, on True you, she said due to legal reasons she wasn't allowed to discuss him or anything about their time together due to court agreements by both parties.

Honestly both are in better places. 

But you can do unauthorized on anything and because it seems Pamela might not like it, maybe this is Tommy actually giving it the go..

As for Pamela she was vilified..

Even in their yearbook for entertainment weekly 97, they stated instead of filming what everybody does behind closed doors. 

Appropriate home videos is the birth of your children, not how they are conceived.  

So she was shamed. And it's something that has haunted her for years.  

Because she pretty much if you look at her roles, she was pretty much type casted as the blonde that's over ***ed and is only their for her looks cos she can't really act. 

That's how I understood the media portrayal of her. 

Her husband  Tommy Lee, was unscathed as that was typical Rock N Roll behavior film the activities like conquests 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, stanLOONA said:

Right? When I first heard Lily was casted I was like WTF?? She looks nothing like her. But whoever the makeup and costume artists are did an incredible job on her transformation.

I wonder that too, especially when they're still alive.  I remember there was lots of drama with the Aaliyah movie, but never got made because I think her family was against or some other drama.  So maybe they are ways to prevent it from happening and Pamela just doesn't know how or doesn't have a strong legal team to protect her?  Pamela stays off social media and the internet now, so it could very well be she wasn't aware of it until her friends brought it up... but still who knows. There's no official response from either her or Tommy.

• Like 1

I started watching the series last night, and I’m looking at more of the personal story. You can see how she was just wanting to be a big serious actress. There was this one scene which stuck out for me, where she was filming Baywatch. The script had this intense monologue for her to say, which she had practiced very hard on, but on the day of shooting they handed her a new script with her monologue removed and replaced it with more body shots. Just seeing how sad she was, that people only saw her as an object. I’m definitely going to continue watching the story.  

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Because she pretty much if you look at her roles, she was pretty much type casted as the blonde that's over ***ed and is only their for her looks cos she can't really act. 

I see that now reading about her, like the tape f-up her acting career but not her "persona" tbh

But dou you WHY they can do things without approval? Doesn't the persons involved can sue for defamation or something?

4 hours ago, Who Can I Trust said:

There was this one scene which stuck out for me, where she was filming Baywatch. The script had this intense monologue for her to say, which she had practiced very hard on, but on the day of shooting they handed her a new script with her monologue removed and replaced it with more body shots.

This was made for character development, sadly nothing confirms it actually happened :wontcry_tears_crying_sad: but who knows

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block