Would Britney Have Ended Up like Katy Perry if She Never Had a Breakdown?

2 hours ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

Maybe. I honestly believe if it weren’t for Toxic, Britney would’ve been remembered as a 90s star and would only have been considered a teenage success that burnt out.

Similarly, without the breakdown, people would’ve gotten tired of her. 

People have said the same thing about Madonna since True blue you guys always forget britney was always evolving. 

• Love 5

You guys talk like Katy Perry has completely or mostly faded into oblivion. Let’s be objective... Perry currently has 43.5 million monthly listeners on Spotify (#28 in the world), and her big numbers are constant. That’s more than Britney right now w/ 22.8 million monthly listeners (#126 in the world).

I know success is not only measured on Spotify. And yes, Britney had the bigger impact, just like Madonna had the biggest impact of the three (Madonna currently has 17.5 million monthly listeners and is #209 in the world.)

My point is, Katy is evidently not irrelevant or passé the way some of you are portraying her to be despite the decrease of her popularity. Bon Appétit has over a billion views on YouTube, Never Really Over was a hit, and The Voice is a great gig for her.

To answer the question... The breakdown, as sad as it was, has definitely added to the mystery around Britney, but its culmination into a conservatorship has actually hindered Britney’s artistry and freedom.

The breakdown not leading to that (il)legal state would have been the better outcome; all that controversy, that exposure, followed by a full recovery and Britney coming back stronger than ever without the chains of that guardianship. The music and concerts would have somewhat been different, and we would probably have gotten more collaborations, etc.

Note: No breakdown at all would have been the best outcome, of course, for Brit’s own personal sake.

@jordeezy

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

You guys talk like Katy Perry has completely or mostly faded into oblivion. Let’s be objective... Perry currently has 43.5 million monthly listeners on Spotify (#28 in the world), and her big numbers are constant. That’s more than Britney right now w/ 22.8 million monthly listeners (#126 in the world).

I know success is not only measured on Spotify. And yes, Britney had the bigger impact, just like Madonna had the biggest impact of the three (Madonna currently has 17.5 million monthly listeners and is #209 in the world.)

My point is, Katy is evidently not irrelevant or passé the way some of you are portraying her to be despite the decrease of her popularity. Bon Appétit has over a billion views on YouTube, Never Really Over was a hit, and The Voice is a great gig for her.

To answer the question... The breakdown, as sad as it was, has definitely added to the mystery around Britney, but its culmination into a conservatorship has actually hindered Britney’s artistry and freedom.

The breakdown not leading to that (il)legal state would have been the better outcome; all that controversy, that exposure, followed by a full recovery and Britney coming back stronger than ever without the chains of that guardianship. The music and concerts would have somewhat been different, and we would probably have gotten more collaborations, etc.

Note: No breakdown at all would have been the best outcome, of course, for Brit’s own personal sake.

@jordeezy

I didn't say Katy is irrelevant but if she wants to compete with Doja Cat for that top spot, she is gonna have to hit us with something better than anything on the Smile album which sounds like a watered down Prismatic album

5 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

I didn't say Katy is irrelevant but if she wants to compete with Doja Cat for that top spot, she is gonna have to hit us with something better than anything on the Smile album which sounds like a watered down Prismatic album

You realize most of Doja’s songs were allegedly  meant for Katy right? Say so has Katy written all over it. Kiss me more literally has the exact same beat as the one that got away. Need to know has the same structure and producers as dark horse. Etc etc. If Katy was still working with Dr Luke, Doja wouldn’t be as successful as she is in my opinion. Yep, I said it. Same with Kim Petras - I love her too, but those songs have Katy written all over them too. 
Nene Leakes GIF

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gapeach704 said:

You realize most of Doja’s songs were allegedly  meant for Katy right? Say so has Katy written all over it. Kiss me more literally has the exact same beat as the one that got away. Need to know has the same structure and producers as dark horse. Etc etc. If Katy was still working with Dr Luke, Doja wouldn’t be as successful as she is in my opinion. Yep, I said it. Same with Kim Petras - I love her too, but those songs have Katy written all over them too. 
Nene Leakes GIF

EXACTLY Doja is Dr Luke's new "muse". 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

I did not mean you said that. I actually agreed w/ your post, and I tagged you so you would notice my response to this thread.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

@gapeach704 Should Katy go back to Dr. ****, then? If she won’t go back to him, there is certainly no shortage of musicians and producers in the world! She just needs to keep searching.

I personally don’t think anyone should work with him, and he should be blacklisted for his alleged behavior. But I think Katy should go back to working with Max Martin. But, at this juncture, I think the damage is irreparable. She even took too long to go back to black hair which fans begged her to do for 6 years. I don’t feel bad for her though. She’s had her success, and more than she deserves if she’s as mean as they say behind the scenes allegedly.

I thought about this more and more. In the pop industry, you have to constantly reinvent yourself in order to be successful. That's how Taylor Swift has stayed on top for so long. Love her or hate her, she always changes her sound and brings something fresh to the scene. Blackout was successful because it was fresh and sounded like nothing else out there. If she didn't have a breakdown, I'm convinced it would've been well received.

On the other hand, you can make the argument that maybe she wouldn't have come out with Blackout if she didn't have a breakdown, and that she would've released Original Doll instead. But from what we've heard from the leaks with that, that was going to be fresh and different too. I know Do Somethin' wasn't a big success, but from what we've heard that was probably the most basic song on the album.

Nope. On the contrary Britney would be bigger than she is now and would have been bigger than she was ala "FF-Glory eras". Simply because she was really building herself each era and shedding another layer and exploring the way an artist should. That Debbie Gibson comparison only came around during her first album and was QUICKLY deaded once Oops I did it again released and sold over a million records in a week. The diff btwn Britney and Katy is Katy depends on a niche to to hold her stardom and to breathe life into her endeavors and it's also why I think she...."went through some breakdown" and couldn't separate herself from "katy Perry" etc. Britney was indeed changing each era, she was also a teen who was inevitably going to grow up and change. Katy was already 24 when she released I kissed a girl. Britney also is more of a chameleon and resonates with moods, vibes & feeling where as Katy is way more camp to her core and can read more superficial. She's not a risk taker and follows a method often ( that works for her till it doesn't). If Britney was given the liberty of living life, taking breaks like she wanted to then she would def be richer, better brand deals and expressional music.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Arckangel said:

@jordeezy

If you really cared for Katy and she was as relevant as you said, you'd know she's on American Idol and not The Voice :bwink_britney_pepsi_wink_black_and_white_bw_flirt:

(Just teasing bb I had to :bigkiss_britney_kissing: I actually think Katy is a great judge on the show, which is how I caught that haha)

• Haha 4

If Britney did not have a breakdown, she would likely be closer to Beyonce's current status, but with less grammy's and higher overall album sales. Britney has always been incredibly creative and, before the conservatorship, always seemed to want to push the boundaries of pop and her vocal range/persona. I could see several themed and experimental albums. I could see a visual album filled with great story and fun bops. I could also see tons and tons of songs full of growth and personal touches. The problem is that the breakdown lead to the conservatorship which basically froze her growth in place and in some ways made her regress since her puppet master was her daddy.

The problem with the Katy comparison is that Katy Perry is just not all that innovative. Her video concepts are tired and basic. Her stage concepts are basic. She relied on established producers to create her sound. Her childish image and big ***** filled in the rest until she hit "30" and then everyone moved on to someone younger who was doing the same hits, but with a new voice. 

If you look at Britney's career, she took a lot of real and true risks. Baby One More Time as a video concept and a song by an only mildly known producer was a risk for a 16-year-old. Changing up her hundred million dollar brand from innocent lolita into full blown s** maven with Slave and Pharrell was a real risk too. Then with In The Zone, Toxic was strange and unlike anything else on the radio which, at the time, was all about R&B and pop tinged with hip hop. Throughout it all, Britney developed her own iconic vision of what she wanted her videos to be like, how her outfits would go, etc. and her vision was not only eye catching, but iconic to boot. Other than the whipped cream tatas, I really don't have any good sense of Katy's iconic-ness. For years, people mistook her Zoey Deschanel

• Love 6
10 hours ago, jordeezy said:

Katy just needs experiment more and she will find success again. The modern image in the When I'm Gone video is the new look but now we need an evolved sound. Maybe incorporate rock again.

Her residency is everything. When I saw it on YouTube I was SHOOK. She literally created a world on stage. It's like a pop broadway show. I live for the singing couch and toilet 💀💀💀

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

Britney was bigger than all of those people.  I think Britney would have taken a long break and maybe come back with new music.  Remember her old manager saying Britney didn’t really want to do it (meaning make music)? I always got the feeling that Britney was over it.

and Katy Perry wishes she was as big as Britney.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, TheBestFan said:

If Britney did not have a breakdown, she would likely be closer to Beyonce's current status, but with less grammy's and higher overall album sales. Britney has always been incredibly creative and, before the conservatorship, always seemed to want to push the boundaries of pop and her vocal range/persona. I could see several themed and experimental albums. I could see a visual album filled with great story and fun bops. I could also see tons and tons of songs full of growth and personal touches. The problem is that the breakdown lead to the conservatorship which basically froze her growth in place and in some ways made her regress since her puppet master was her daddy.

The problem with the Katy comparison is that Katy Perry is just not all that innovative. Her video concepts are tired and basic. Her stage concepts are basic. She relied on established producers to create her sound. Her childish image and big ***** filled in the rest until she hit "30" and then everyone moved on to someone younger who was doing the same hits, but with a new voice. 

If you look at Britney's career, she took a lot of real and true risks. Baby One More Time as a video concept and a song by an only mildly known producer was a risk for a 16-year-old. Changing up her hundred million dollar brand from innocent lolita into full blown s** maven with Slave and Pharrell was a real risk too. Then with In The Zone, Toxic was strange and unlike anything else on the radio which, at the time, was all about R&B and pop tinged with hip hop. Throughout it all, Britney developed her own iconic vision of what she wanted her videos to be like, how her outfits would go, etc. and her vision was not only eye catching, but iconic to boot. Other than the whipped cream tatas, I really don't have any good sense of Katy's iconic-ness. For years, people mistook her Zoey Deschanel

This, people tend to forget that how much Britney was evolving during her career it's naive to think that her breakdown gave her legendary status, her breakdown and then conservatorship actually froze her creativity and control over her music. I never could see an album like Femme Fatale and it makes sense she never even have performed the songs off from it much. Looking at Blackout rejects it's clear Britney wanted to move towards R&B direction she actually would've left dance pop area by this time. Britney looked up to Janet and Madonna her creativity never would've allowed to make things like FF or BJ.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block