Has anyone in recent memory had as messy a debut as Jesy Nelson?

With her debut that should have been an easy win, Jesy Nelson (of Little Mix fame) managed to...

• Alienate the LM fanbase by using LM for drama + controversy, bullying her prior bandmate after having released a documentary herself about her difficult experiences with it
  • Release a single lacking any creative flare, over-sampling 
  • Release a video that copied that same song and barely added anything to it
  • Collaborate with an artist currently in the news for defending her s**-offender husband and using her platform to silence a r*** victim
  • Fail to take accountability for blatant cultural appropriation and doubled down on it
  • Have an awkward debut performance which was only really talked about for memes

Jesus what a list. :weirdmeout_umm_ok_what_weirded_britney: Am I missing anything?

It sounds like her next single is going to be a ballad. Here's hoping she can somehow recover from this and write off Boyz as a failed promo single....

But! Exhale, has anyone else you can recall ever fumbled a debut this bad?

• Love 1
  • Like 4
14 minutes ago, rennen2.0 said:

whoopi goldberg ghost GIF

But, yes, I thought it would have performed better tbh. 5 weeks in the UK top 40 is nothing to jump and dance about, especially not when coming from an established group.

The song itself grew on me after a few listens even though her annunciation on it is awful. 

When is the next single?

Lmao, well I am rooting for her to turn it around but I think that can only happen if she's held accountable all of those choices. I was a fan of her through the LM days and was really not expecting it to go this way! 

I will say I probably didn't give her enough credit for that debut performance. Unfortunately the awkward moments overshadowed the good parts of it, but clearly gave it her all. Her energy was great and the dancing was on point, unfortunately the setup of it all just made it kind of awkward.

I'm not sure! All I heard was that there was a ballad coming sometime in the new year.

54 minutes ago, ByDemand said:

With her debut that should have been an easy win, Jesy Nelson (of Little Mix fame) managed to...

• Alienate the LM fanbase by using LM for drama + controversy, bullying her prior bandmate after having released a documentary herself about her difficult experiences with it
  • Release a single lacking any creative flare, over-sampling 
  • Release a video that copied that same song and barely added anything to it
  • Collaborate with an artist currently in the news for defending her s**-offender husband and using her platform to silence a r*** victim
  • Fail to take accountability for blatant cultural appropriation and doubled down on it
  • Have an awkward debut performance which was only really talked about for memes

Jesus what a list. :weirdmeout_umm_ok_what_weirded_britney: Am I missing anything?

It sounds like her next single is going to be a ballad. Here's hoping she can somehow recover from this and write off Boyz as a failed promo single....

But! Exhale, has anyone else you can recall ever fumbled a debut this bad?

She got a lot of slack for lipsynching her debut performance and for being photographed what looked like her trying to get with Leigh Anne's ex. It was just a mess. I really loved Jesy in LM. She was so funny. So I was rooting for her solo debut. She has a very unique vocal tone and can belt the big notes. She can dance really well and is gorgeous. She has the X factor. I think she will recover.

As far as any other artist, I mean if they did fumble their debut, they probably aren't even known now haha. As far as coming from a successful group, honestly I can't think of one. I just know some who had tried but never made it (Nick Carter, JC Chasez, Mel B*, Victoria Beckham, most of 5th Harmony...im sure theres more)

Just now, MikeHunt said:

She got a lot of slack for lipsynching her debut performance and for being photographed what looked like her trying to get with Leigh Anne's ex. It was just a mess. I really loved Jesy in LM. She was so funny. So I was rooting for her solo debut. 

As far as any other artist, I mean if they did fumble their debut, they probably aren't even known now haha. As far as coming from a successful group, honestly I can't think of one. I just know some who had tried but never made it (Nick Carter, JC Chasez, Mel C, Victoria Beckham, most of 5th Harmony...im sure theres more)

Ah, Nicole Scherzinger too in a lot of ways. Though she didn't bomb out the gate so much as just failed to really ever make a hit or get near to what the Dolls did.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, MikeHunt said:

She got a lot of slack for lipsynching her debut performance and for being photographed what looked like her trying to get with Leigh Anne's ex. It was just a mess. I really loved Jesy in LM. She was so funny. So I was rooting for her solo debut. 

As far as any other artist, I mean if they did fumble their debut, they probably aren't even known now haha. As far as coming from a successful group, honestly I can't think of one. I just know some who had tried but never made it (Nick Carter, JC Chasez, Mel C, Victoria Beckham, most of 5th Harmony...im sure theres more)

Aw I don't think Mel C deserves to be in the same category as the others. She was fairly successful, I believe the most successful of all the solo Spice Girls. Granted her success was likely limited to the UK but she had some pretty decent, well performing songs.

I Turn To You, Northern Star and Never Be The Same Again being the only ones I can remember by name mind you haha. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, thebritmaster said:

I like Jesy and her cultural appreciation :raven_thats_so_simone_talking_telling_preaching: I stan the legendary Jingle Bell Ball performance that spawned so many memes. However I don’t like the song Boyz at ALL. It’s reductive :reductive_madonna_mdna_tea_coffee_cup_sips_sipping_drink_spill: I hope she does a beautiful ballad for the next song and quits lip syncing altogether cause she was dragged after the Graham Norton performance 

Yeah, it all really points back to the song not being strong enough to carry a debut. 

I like her as an artist too. Hell, take Camilla as an example of another artist breaking out of a girl group. I think she's an obnoxious, selfish and shady person... but Havana was a bop and she deserved all her success. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, ByDemand said:

You mean I shouldn't have expected that we can have a civilized and fact-based discussion? :sipney_britney_starbucks_straw_sipping_drinking_spill:

I stand with you on everything you listed. But I’ve stated these same things before and I was banished to the depths of Christina Aguilera’s discography for a full week. But everything you stated is a fact. I’m not the enemy. I’m an ally. But, I hope you’re prepared 

:queenriri_rihanna_red_wave_carpet_smile:

• Haha 3
Just now, gapeach704 said:

I stand with you on everything you listed. But I’ve stated these same things before and I was banished to the depths of Christina Aguilera’s discography for a full week. But everything you stated is a fact. I’m not the enemy. I’m an ally. But, I hope you’re prepared 

:queenriri_rihanna_red_wave_carpet_smile:

Totally understood what you were saying! I was just poking some fun at it and weathering for the storm ahead lol

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, rennen2.0 said:

Aw I don't think Mel C deserves to be in the same category as the others. She was fairly successful, I believe the most successful of all the solo Spice Girls. Granted her success was likely limited to the UK but she had some pretty decent, well performing songs.

I Turn To You, Northern Star and Never Be The Same Again being the only ones I can remember by name mind you haha. 

Ooops I meant Mel B! :imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde:

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, ByDemand said:

Yeah, it all really points back to the song not being strong enough to carry a debut. 

I like her as an artist too. Hell, take Camilla as an example of another artist breaking out of a girl group. I think she's an obnoxious, selfish and shady person... but Havana was a bop and she deserved all her success. 

Good point. It really does come down to song choice and Boyz wasn't it for Jesy.

Although Havana wasn't Camila's debut song was it? 

1 minute ago, rennen2.0 said:

Good point. It really does come down to song choice and Boyz wasn't it for Jesy.

Although Havana wasn't Camila's debut song was it? 

True, it wasn't. From what I can recall she had a couple singles (Crying in the Club / I have Questions) that were demoted to promo, then dropped the 1/2 punch of Havana and OMG- two songs that went in very different directions. One was what she wanted (Havana) and one was more mainstream per the label (OMG). Havana won out, she broke out, and here we are!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ByDemand said:

Sorry, this is off topic, but I recently had a thought. It’s bizarre that out of all of the 5H girls, only Camila has released albums. I really wish someone would investigate this because something tells me it’s something in their contracts forbidding them from releasing albums for like x amount of years or something. This is just so bizarre. And we know the legal team and management for 5H was also Britney’s same team I think. So, take that as you will. But everyone involved behind the scenes seemingly seems to have put them aside for Camila. In my opinion

:otears_oprah_crying_tissue_napkin_tears_sobbing_sad:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block