Britney talking to some flowers during her trip to Hawaii

2 hours ago, strongertomorrow said:

What . Is. With. Her. Voice ??

I believe it must be the smoking, I’m not sure if the medication would have such an effect, trauma maybe? I don’t know, any experts here?

Hi. To answer your question, I will specify that, I am not diagnosing Britney. She could have had a sore throat, right? Having said that, speaking in general terms,  in the field of neuropsychology, this kind of voice alterations belong to a set of behaviors linked with phisycality  called "somatization" and actually, the voice can be deeply affected by trauma. A very good and public example of this is Michael Jackson. 

Here, some extra info:

"The act of speaking is highly complex and involves breathing, the vibration of vocal cords (phonation), resonation (involving the changing in the shape of oral tract cavities), and lip movement.

And, because of this complexity, Monti et al. (2018) state that it is likely that the whole brain is involved in voice production including the brain stem, cortex, and limbic system (areas of the brain that research has shown can be developmentally, adversely affected by childhood trauma) and it is the effect of abuse and/or neglect on the brain that can lead to changes in voice quality and increased levels of voice perturbations.

Voice perturbations can be defined as small changes or fluctuations in the vocal system and are sometimes referred to as microinstabilities.

The emotional effects of trauma can affect the voice, too. 

For example, some adult survivors of childhood trauma may speak in a childlike voice (an example of this is the late singer Michael Jackson, who spoke openly about the physical and emotional abuse he received from his father whilst growing up and spoke and often behaved in a childlike way. Even his sister Janet has some of these inflections here and there.)  which may be due to the trauma having led to arrested development or a tendency when under stress, to regress.

It is possible, too, that speaking with childlike intonation may be an unconscious attempt to elicit caring behavior from others.

According to research by Marmar et al., (2018) it is even possible to objectively differentiate between those with PTSD and those without the condition using speech-based algorithms."

And to finish this off, it`s not as rare as people may think. Many singers suffer with their voices due to trauma. You can look for some interviews with Shania Twain who, for a number of years, said she lost her ability to sing after getting a divorce and having been cheated by her husband with her best friend.

I hope it helps. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Bigno said:

Hi. To answer your question, I will specify that, I am not diagnosing Britney. She could have had a sore throat, right? Having said that, speaking in general terms,  in the field of neuropsychology, this kind of voice alterations belong to a set of behaviors linked with phisycality  called "somatization" and actually, the voice can be deeply affected by trauma. A very good and public example of this is Michael Jackson. 

Here, some extra info:

"The act of speaking is highly complex and involves breathing, the vibration of vocal cords (phonation), resonation (involving the changing in the shape of oral tract cavities), and lip movement.

And, because of this complexity, Monti et al. (2018) state that it is likely that the whole brain is involved in voice production including the brain stem, cortex, and limbic system (areas of the brain that research has shown can be developmentally, adversely affected by childhood trauma) and it is the effect of abuse and/or neglect on the brain that can lead to changes in voice quality and increased levels of voice perturbations.

Voice perturbations can be defined as small changes or fluctuations in the vocal system and are sometimes referred to as microinstabilities.

For example, some adult survivors of childhood trauma may speak in a childlike voice (an example of this is the late singer Michael Jackson, who spoke openly about the physical and emotional abuse he received from his father whilst growing up and spoke and often behaved in a childlike way. Even his sister Janet has some of these inflections here and there.)  which may be due to the trauma having led to arrested development or a tendency when under stress, to regress.

It is possible, too, that speaking with childlike intonation may be an unconscious attempt to elicit caring behavior from others.

According to research by Marmar et al., (2018) it is even possible to objectively differentiate between those with PTSD and those without the condition using speech-based algorithms."

And to finish this off, it`s not as rare as people may think. Many singers suffer with their voices due to trauma. You can look for some interviews with Shania Twain who, for a number of years, said she lost her ability to sing after getting a divorce and having been cheated by her husband with her best friend.

I hope it helps. 

THISSSS!!! That’s totally helps, thank you so much, even just as general information it’s super interesting, and although obviously I don’t want to/cannot diagnose Britney, I can totally see this as a possibility! Her voice has been so different for the past two or three years with just a couple of videos as exceptions here and there. 

thank you!!!! 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, Jaime Jean said:

I think this article I read made me understand what may be going on with her voice of course it’s all speculation but I learned a lot from it:

“On June 23, at a public hearing, Britney Spears finally broke her silence about her 13-year-old conservatorship, which has given her father complete oversight of her estate and health (since 2019, Jodi Montgomery has acted as her temporary conservator). On February 5, The New York Times released the documentary “Framing Britney Spears,”which garnered much support and attention for #FreeBritney, a movement started by her fans to raise awareness about the restrictive nature of her conservatorship. 

At the hearing, Spears spoke of her experiences and trauma, from being forced to take lithium, a psychiatric medication frequently prescribed as a mood stabilizer, to not being able to have her IUD removed. And as fans across the world voiced their support and concern for Spears, many were quick to point out that her voice sounded drastically different from how she speaks in her Instagram videos and more recent interviews. Her high-pitched “baby” voice had been replaced by a slightly deeper tone — one that many speculate is closer to Spears’ “real” voice, which hasn’t been heard since the early aughts.

When she first began singing as a young child, Spears’ voice sounded deep and soulful, and over the course of her career, her sound has drastically evolved to a higher-pitched, nasal tone that matches the singing voice she’s known for. Journalists have speculated that this change may have been due to Spears’ reported rhinoplasty (AKA “nose job”), but experts point out that there is also a link between vocal fry and trauma.

“ADD TRAUMA TO THE MIX AND BEHAVIORS CAN CHANGE.”

According to the National Institute of Health, the voice can change naturally due to the muscles in the larynx — or voice box — becoming weak over time, and can also evolve as a defense mechanism in response to external stressors in one’s life. According to clinical psychologist Michelle Solomon, PsyD, this is a product of the body’s fight or flight response when experiencing an external or internal threat to our sense of self or wellbeing. “This response is different and unique for everyone — there is no one size fits all for processing challenging emotions,” Solomon tells Her Campus. “Some people get quiet, some people dissociate, and some people become impulsive. If anyone is put in a difficult situation, add trauma to the mix, and behaviors can change.” 

“THE THROAT IS WHERE WE HOUSE OUR ABILITY TO COMMUNICATE AND SPEAK AUTHENTICALLY.”

Stephanie Simpson, an optimal performance coach and performing artist who holds a Master’s in Clinical Psychology from Columbia University, tells Her Campus that the body has a clear reaction to psychological stress. “Our bodies literally go into a stress cycle,” she says. “A spike in cortisol and all of the catabolic hormones come out, and that comes up in different ways for people. The throat is where we house our ability to communicate and speak authentically. So, if we feel like we aren’t being heard or seen as who we are, or valued as who we are, that can get blocked. A lot of times when it gets blocked, the throat gets constricted.”

Simpson recalls experiencing vocal constriction firsthand at a young age, and has since made the connection that it may have been due to trauma occurring in her life. At the time, she was diagnosed with strep throat four times, as well as mono, and not only noticed a shift in her physical voice, but in her ability to perform under pressure. “When I rehearsed for a show, I would be really great with my voice teacher or at home, and then I’d get to an audition and [my voice] wouldn’t quite be the same,” she says. 

Today, Simpson uses a combination of psychological and mind-body techniques to help clients overcome life’s challenges, whether it’s rehearsing for a public performance or, like the case of Ms. Spears, navigating a traumatic situation, and speaking about it publicly.

THE VOICE CAN BE A POWERFUL VESSEL FOR COMMUNICATING EMOTIONS.

For Spears, a woman in the spotlight navigating a difficult life change, a vocal shift is not uncommon. According to research from Logopedics Phoniatrics Vocology, an academic journal focused on speech, language, and voice pathology, women are nearly twice as likely to report a vocal health problem than men. Research suggests that improper use of the voice, or speaking in a “fake” voice for long periods of time — similar to what Spears has been doing for years — can also be physically damaging

A 2016 study of 51 singers conducted by the National Library of Medicine noted that feelings of attachment, shame, and emotional neglect can also be linked to vocal intensity — all of which are themes present in Spears’ testimony. A 2019 study of 29 women conducted at the University of Pittsburgh suggests that the human voice carries a wealth of information about a person’s physical and emotional states, personality, and even their past traumatic experiences.

That said, the number of factors contributing to Spears’ vocal change, from voice health, psychological distress, and trauma to age, are pure speculation. The voice can be a powerful vessel for communicating emotions, and fans and experts alike have noted the significance of Spears’ tone during her heartfelt testimony.

“For so long, the media dictated and created a narrative around Britney’s personal and professional life,” says Dr. Solomon. “Her choices, emotional well-being, body image, and overall identity appeared to be constantly critiqued under a microscope — it seemed she had little control over what people said about her. That’s why it is so important for anyone to be in control of their own narrative. It is important for women to feel empowered and based on reports, and Britney did not have that opportunity.” 

Love this - where did u find this? 

2 minutes ago, strongertomorrow said:

THISSSS!!! That’s totally helps, thank you so much, even just as general information it’s super interesting, and although obviously I don’t want to/cannot diagnose Britney, I can totally see this as a possibility! Her voice has been so different for the past two or three years with just a couple of videos as exceptions here and there. 

thank you!!!! 

I am glad I helped! You are very welcome. :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

• Love 1
3 hours ago, strongertomorrow said:

What . Is. With. Her. Voice ??

I believe it must be the smoking, I’m not sure if the medication would have such an effect, trauma maybe? I don’t know, any experts here?

She sounds like she may still be sick? She has been throwing up and before that she got really sick. Maybe her voice is still sore.

1 hour ago, Bigno said:

Here, some extra info:

I hope it helps. 

This is true. After trauma as a kid, my voice did change as well for a while. I went through a lot of abuse as a kid from a narcissistc parent.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, frederiickx said:

This is true. After trauma as a kid, my voice did change as well for a while. I went through a lot of abuse as a kid from a narcissistc parent.

I am sorry to read that. Are you doing better now? I hope you are. Truly. I send you a big hug. 

• Love 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block