How Would ''Britney'' Album Perform Without The Radio Ban?

2 hours ago, SonOfSun said:

I remember back in the day the media and the press called it a flop, while she sold around 10/12 millions copies worldwide and 4.5 million in the US. They were already sabotaging her around that time, and constantly bringing her down in the media meanwhile..

..Albums released by female popstars around the same time that were labelled as big success, and who had radio airplay, and sold the same : "Dangerously In Love" by Beyonce, "Stripped" by Christina Aguilera, "J.Lo" by Jennifer Lopez, "Missundaztoood" by P!nk.

I think without the radio ban she could have easily sold 3/4 million additional copies.

That's the beauty of it Beyonce debut sold less than Britney album WW and people say it's a hit but not for Britney the double standards are for real. 

Britney album in USA - 5.5M 

WW - 12M+

How is this a flop?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Prachi said:

First - Britney wasn't 'Blacklisted' I did ask this a couple of months back in here and someone gave me awesome receipts but yes she had less radio play. 

Secondly Britney album is near 6x but won't reach 6x considering how forgotten this album is. 

This time of the year market collapsed due to Piracy latin America was one of the major markets that hit bad, this album sold upwards of 12M+ all thanks to insane promotions of Britney. 

Around the same time Beyonce also debuted with her solo record and did better than Britney but nothing extraordinary considering iy was her debut. 

She was blacklisted. How Christina get her #1s and Britney doesnt? Christina was way more better in Hot100 in 90s and early 00s. I dont know, but she had to be nonofficially (not confirmation as well..........) banned. 

6 hours ago, Prachi said:

Yes, that's where my point was also directed she had less to no airplay Clear channel was notorious with her congressman wrote a letter to them also. 

Kinda crazy what things Britney did for Pepsi 😁

It wasn't because of her contract with Pepsi, it was because she signed to tour with Concerts West (AEG) instead of Clear Channel (Live Nation)

2 minutes ago, TheRealLou said:

She was blacklisted. How Christina get her #1s and Britney doesnt? Christina was way more better in Hot100 in 90s and early 00s. I dont know, but she had to be nonofficially (not confirmation as well..........) banned. 

I'm not sure "blacklisted" is the right word, but there was definitely some radio suppression going on with Britney's singles as a result of her pissing off Clear Channel by touring with AEG instead.

But, a lot of Britney's low peaks on the Hot 100 during that time are due to the fact that some of her singles weren't released physically in the United States. Whereas Christina released all of her singles physically. Britney's team had the theory that by not releasing singles physically, it would drive album sales higher, and it worked. While Christina had more number one hits than Britney (at that time), Britney eclipsed her in overall record sales.

4 minutes ago, BlackoutITZ said:

I'm not sure "blacklisted" is the right word, but there was definitely some radio suppression going on with Britney's singles as a result of her pissing off Clear Channel by touring with AEG instead.

But, a lot of Britney's low peaks on the Hot 100 during that time are due to the fact that some of her singles weren't released physically in the United States. Whereas Christina released all of her singles physically. Britney's team had the theory that by not releasing singles physically, it would drive album sales higher, and it worked. While Christina had more number one hits than Britney (at that time), Britney eclipsed her in overall record sales.

I didnt know that about singles. 

So basically we can say that Christina and Britney had similiar success in debut eras. Maybe Christina could sell her album as much as Britney using this theory? ;) In USA is about 3-4 millions more only (for sure Britney would won worldwide anyway)

Retoric question.

18 minutes ago, TheRealLou said:

did I say xtina wasn't doing better? BB weighs single airplay more than albums did any of xtina album sold 6M+ during this era where she was good supported via radio? 

Your proof

https://web.archive.org/web/20031225154847/https://www.house.gov/berman/newsroom/clear_channel_letter.html

Just now, Prachi said:

did I say xtina wasn't doing better? BB weighs single airplay more than albums did any of xtina album sold 6M+ during this era where she was good supported via radio? 

Your proof

https://web.archive.org/web/20031225154847/https://www.house.gov/berman/newsroom/clear_channel_letter.html

Did i say that u said something????????? I asked.

Christina sold offically about 9 million copies in USA of debut and 4,5 from Stripped. And Stripped wasnt supported by radio (exception for Beautiful). Dirrty was banned when in UK hit #1 easily. Fighter and Cant Hold Us Down were too heavy - rock song and explicit lyrics for another one.

6 minutes ago, TheRealLou said:

I didnt know that about singles. 

So basically we can say that Christina and Britney had similiar success in debut eras. Maybe Christina could sell her album as much as Britney using this theory? ;) In USA is about 3-4 millions more only (for sure Britney would won worldwide anyway)

Retoric question.

Not really, considering Xtina debut was also huge but couldn't touch diamond status not her 2nd album also though with immense grammy respect as well. 

Xtina had single airplay during this time, stripped era also she had the support but not enough. 

Just now, TheRealLou said:

Did i say that u said something????????? I asked.

Christina sold offically about 9 million copies in USA of debut and 4,5 from Stripped. And Stripped wasnt supported by radio (exception for Beautiful). Dirrty was banned when in UK hit #1 easily. Fighter and Cant Hold Us Down were too heavy - rock song and explicit lyrics for another one.

Stripped did excellent work in UK - her biggest album there by miles with good support of radios. She also as been under top 20 most radio played artists in UK. 

1 minute ago, TheRealLou said:

Yes in UK, im talking about (all the times...................) USA

Xtina did wonderful in UK for stripped, in USA also she had good support looking at her charts but never I able to understand how she didn't hit big in Latin America considering xtina roots. 

Sooner or later her debut will hit diamond - it's at 9.2M+ right now.

5 minutes ago, Prachi said:

Not really, considering Xtina debut was also huge but couldn't touch diamond status not her 2nd album also though with immense grammy respect as well. 

Xtina had single airplay during this time, stripped era also she had the support but not enough. 

For sure surname is important as well. Nobody is selling crazy numbers with latin surname. Thats for sure. So Britney had intresting strategy and english surname. So basically.............. Christina did awesome.

Just now, TheRealLou said:

For sure surname is important as well. Nobody is selling crazy numbers with latin surname. Thats for sure. So Britney had intresting strategy and english surname. So basically.............. Christina did awesome.

I am not downlplaying her, I work in this business so have knowledge. She didn't hit big in most markets though except U.K but seeing how non promoted her eras became her success is still amazing to see.

1 minute ago, Prachi said:

Xtina did wonderful in UK for stripped, in USA also she had good support looking at her charts but never I able to understand how she didn't hit big in Latin America considering xtina roots. 

Sooner or later her debut will hit diamond - it's at 9.2M+ right now.

Do u have spanish speaking friends? Mi Reflejo was extreamly successful all around Latin world. Its hard to see due to our english oriente taste. Ven Conmigo was a massive hit. The album is 6 times latin platinum. For 2000 year that was huge. Her Spanish songs were EVERYWHERE in South America. But she didnt care because she wanted to do diffrent staff later.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block