How Would ''Britney'' Album Perform Without The Radio Ban?

So from what I read Britney was banned in radio because of her pepsi contract during that time or something like that and it had negative impact on her career :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:

''Britney'' album didn't even flop. Britney debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 745,750 copies. But no #1 hits on Billboard Hot 100 :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad: And the sells of the album could have been even better :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:

Britney.jpg

Radio really sold records back in those days. The Britney album would probably be closer to 7x platinum now if she had that support then. With better singles the album probably would have gone even further. 

Who knows though. But yeah, definitely not a flop either way! Especially considering it gave us the iconic I’m a Slave 4 U song, video and performance! 

• Love 4
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, e_ffen said:

Radio really sold records back in those days. The Britney album would probably be closer to 7x platinum now if she had that support then. With better singles the album probably would have gone even further. 

Who knows though. But yeah, definitely not a flop either way! Especially considering it gave us the iconic I’m a Slave 4 U song, video and performance! 

First - Britney wasn't 'Blacklisted' I did ask this a couple of months back in here and someone gave me awesome receipts but yes she had less radio play. 

Secondly Britney album is near 6x but won't reach 6x considering how forgotten this album is. 

This time of the year market collapsed due to Piracy latin America was one of the major markets that hit bad, this album sold upwards of 12M+ all thanks to insane promotions of Britney. 

Around the same time Beyonce also debuted with her solo record and did better than Britney but nothing extraordinary considering iy was her debut. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Prachi said:

First - Britney wasn't 'Blacklisted' I did ask this a couple of months back in here and someone gave me awesome receipts but yes she had less radio play. 

Secondly Britney album is near 6x but won't reach 6x considering how forgotten this album is. 

This time of the year market collapsed due to Piracy latin America was one of the major markets that hit bad, this album sold upwards of 12M+ all thanks to insane promotions of Britney. 

Around the same time Beyonce also debuted with her solo record and did better than Britney but nothing extraordinary considering iy was her debut. 

No, she was definitely blacklisted by Clear Channel.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, very_urban said:

No, she was definitely blacklisted by Clear Channel.

Blacklisting is illegal, I have her charts but yes she was heavily low on radio plays she was up there on AOL charts - people used to choose songs where Britney peaked always but on radio charts she always was very low but she did had plays. 

2 minutes ago, Prachi said:

Blacklisting is illegal, I have her charts but yes she was heavily low on radio plays she was up there on AOL charts - people used to choose songs where Britney peaked always but on radio charts she always was very low but she did had plays. 

She was blacklisted by Clear Channel. Obviously she still had SOME airplay but the ban by Clear Channel had a huge effect.

Source: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-feb-25-fi-clear25-story.html

Last month, Rep. Howard L. Berman (D-Mission Hills) urged the Justice Department and the Federal Communications Commission to probe reports that Clear Channel punished stars, such as Britney Spears, by refusing to play their songs on Clear Channel radio stations because the musicians declined to hire the company as their tour promoter.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, very_urban said:

She was blacklisted by Clear Channel. Obviously she still had SOME airplay but the ban by Clear Channel had a huge effect.

Source: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-feb-25-fi-clear25-story.html

Yes, that's where my point was also directed she had less to no airplay Clear channel was notorious with her congressman wrote a letter to them also. 

Kinda crazy what things Britney did for Pepsi 😁

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Prachi said:

It might reach with spotify streams

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, FreeBritBrit said:

Its still on her top 10 most popular list. The album has over 300mill streams, which is still something in sales

Of course, 300M streams / 1500 does not equal to WW sales as a lot of countries have no SPS formula to begin with and Britney's streams are about 30% from USA. 

20 minutes ago, FreeBritBrit said:

So around 100 mill is from us. Thats still something in sales.

But doesnt matter because all her eras- all albums and singles are undercertified.

100M probably only for Spotify maybe 100M+ from AM and Tidal and then there is of course YouTube views that accounts into RIAA units - maybe her new team will bother certifying. In terms of singles she's about 4-5M certified and she has more than 70M+ singles in USA. 

• Love 1

Besides Britney Jean I find Britney album is the one I listen to the least. I like the singles, Cinderella, Bombastic Love and Lonely but I feel like they should have did the Crossroads soundtrack and had the Britney album as completely separate. 

She’ll Never Be should have made the album. I feel like it could have been better. I loved the era though. 2001 and 2002 was her peak beauty and she looked genuinely happy. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, MeAgainstTheMusic_ said:

Besides Britney Jean I find Britney album is the one I listen to the least. I like the singles, Cinderella, Bombastic Love and Lonely but I feel like they should have did the Crossroads soundtrack and had the Britney album as completely separate. 

She’ll Never Be should have made the album. I feel like it could have been better. I loved the era though. 2001 and 2002 was her peak beauty and she looked genuinely happy. 

It really sounds like the original Britney and Crossroads album smacked in one. A shame tbh. I think both should've been amazing projects on their own.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, FreeBritBrit said:

It really sounds like the original Britney and Crossroads album smacked in one. A shame tbh. I think both should've been amazing projects on their own.

Blame Jive and the production team in charge of Crossroads for the mess that is the Britney album.

Still better than Britney Jean tho....

• Like 1

I remember back in the day the media and the press called it a flop, while she sold around 10/12 millions copies worldwide and 4.5 million in the US. They were already sabotaging her around that time, and constantly bringing her down in the media meanwhile..

..Albums released by female popstars around the same time that were labelled as big success, and who had radio airplay, and sold the same : "Dangerously In Love" by Beyonce, "Stripped" by Christina Aguilera, "J.Lo" by Jennifer Lopez, "Missundaztoood" by P!nk.

I think without the radio ban she could have easily sold 3/4 million additional copies.

• Love 1
  • Like 5

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block