Hilary Duff comments on how society treated Britney when she shaved her head

Are u 4real? Hilary seriously?

Lol.

If she would like to shave her head one day looking like a normal woman people would be shock too, but not in that kind of a sense. She did in publicly after another wild night, she did it herself in the middle of nervous breakdown. Two completly diffrent stories - can't compare to "just shaved". Lol.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Persona said:

What angers me most about fans who are oh so concerned with how Britney will be looked upon by people for her Instagram is that it does nothing to de-stigmatize Mental illness and mental health. Not only that, it does the exact opposite. This faux concern is just judgment but with seemingly good intentions. How about we just stop judging people? How about we stop forcing people, yes celebs too, to act a certain way? Because god forbid total strangers online or in real life think Britney isn’t “normal”. Or a high class celebrity with a legacy because apparently her legacy is more important than her right to do whatever the **** she wants and express herself however she wants after having been abused for over a decade. 

sometimes I feel like not even spelling it out like this makes people realize how dumb all of this is, how toxic it is. we as individuals should not be forced to be something we’re not for the sake of total strangers and to be deserving of safety from bullying and accusations.

Preach it :bparty_piece_of_me_pom_britney_clubbing_blackout_2007_dancing_dance:

A few of us were trying to tell someone in a thread that it’s ok to be unstable and like not to be so judgmental

p.s. sorry battery 🔋 spacer.png

17 minutes ago, TheRealLou said:

Are u 4real? Hilary seriously?

Lol.

If she would like to shave her head one day looking like a normal woman people would be shock too, but not in that kind of a sense. She did in publicly after another wild night, she did it herself in the middle of nervous breakdown. Two completly diffrent stories - can't compare to "just shaved". Lol.

"publicly" is a super unfair word to use ... that woman could not do ANYTHING or go ANYWHERE without it being blasted in the media. She tried to go to a salon to have it done. Is that not what anyone wanting their hair done would do? When the salon refused, she did it her freaking self. It was absolutely an act of rebellion, a defiant act of power and freedom. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

But as I said, that still continues to this day, everyone criticizing her IG posts or captions or worried about how "they make her look" aren't any different than those that called her crazy for shaving her head 

YES. 100%!!!

Even us fans do this. It's hard to catch yourself, because it comes from a place of good intentions, but it's not our place. Also, Britney really was the last superstar that was a "commodity" in terms of how her brand capitalized on her popularity in society -- I think that is what has kept her in this cycle, she hasn't fully integrated herself as a superstar of this generation yet, in terms of exposure, publicity, etc. She was the last of monoculture, where everyone followed the same thing and celebrities did not have as much control as they do now (I write about this on my Medium post, here). 

The stars these days are their own commodities; part of their brand they created themselves thanks to social media and their engagement on Instagram. Britney never had that in her prime, so it was very much a cause and effect type of superstardom, rather than one of merging. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Stannedforever said:

Honestly, her shaving her head was probably so ******* satisfying for her. For the first time ever she got to do something that was 100% her own choice, it was the ultimate act of freedom and rebellion against the image that she was forced to portray by her label, family media and GP. We should look it back as empowering moment, not something that was shameful. Society should normalize any hairstyle for any person. Also she still looked so freaking beautiful without hair that I don't get why GP still tries to make fun of her baldness :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

tumblr_oaomhtIvd61qe28lco1_500.png

I will DIE defending the headshaving. It was a badass move and a big statement. And my god, she looked freaking gorgeous. 

I'm forever bitter everyone still to this day finds it so shameful, including herself. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Stannedforever said:

Honestly, her shaving her head was probably so ******* satisfying for her. For the first time ever she got to do something that was 100% her own choice, it was the ultimate act of freedom and rebellion against the image that she was forced to portray by her label, family media and GP. We should look it back as empowering moment, not something that was shameful. Society should normalize any hairstyle for any person. Also she still looked so freaking beautiful without hair that I don't get why GP still tries to make fun of her baldness :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

tumblr_oaomhtIvd61qe28lco1_500.png

She looked so adorable :makeitrain_britney_blush_headphones_omg_wow_happy:

• Love 1

Sorry but let's be real she's sweet but very wrong (just like her career actually :bieber_justin_smirk_weird:).

It's not a matter of women shaving their heads, it's about WHO shaved her head ! Britney Spears until then was considered as the utlimate human BARBIE with beautiful blond hair. She was the American sweetheart and the American princess for the whole world. Her brand is like Mcdonald or Coke/Pepsi or Disney.

Honestly if it wasn't sad for Britney I would say that these pictures of Britney shaving her head are like Andy Warhol 's portrait of Marilyn Monroe. They are a WOW image of an American figure in a time of huge impact of the whole American culture/Hollywood/ superstar-paparazzi/Pop culture.

It's like Barbie shaving her head or like Disney's princess Aurora shaving her head.

So comparing this moment to some Haley or Heyley or Ashley or whoever she mentioned is not very clever, if not dumb.

PS Also Britney was gorgeous with her head shaved and I proud of her for being courageous enough to feel free to do whatever she wanted with her body.

:mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

• Love 2
  • Like 2

i understand where she is coming from but i think she is in many ways wrong, and in some ways i feel like it is somewhat disrespectful and undermines what she was going thought at the time.

in Spanish there's a saying that translates as: “It is Impossible to Cover the Sun with a Finger." and it aludes to the fact that Britney just didn't shave her head one day because she wanted to change her hairstyle... that is undermining and disrespectful to what actually happened. i feel that when we trivialize Britney's head shaving we are further perpetrating the problem and the stigma around mental health.

in FTR Britney said "people shave their heads all the time" and yes, that is correct; but HER case was more of a cry for help / rebellion and a strong desire to control something, as she didn't have control of anything. so she chose her hair, that she could control. and not only control but her perfect long blonde hair also symbolized her status as a perfect person; which she wanted to shed.

it was a decision made in the heat of the moment and the result / outcome of a poor mental health state at the time; which is completely understandable and honeslty it must've been very empowering and satisfying for her at the time; i am glad she did that because she did something real and showed the world that she was hurting and that she needed a break. she was strong when she did this. not crazy as many claim. but also her shaving her head was not "nothing".

and this is why the hairdresser refused to do it. she could tell the decision wasn't coming from a good place. if it was the case it would've been at a better salon, with an appointment, in normal business hours; she would've sat on the chair and worn a robe and the shaving would been done correctly and finished correctly. same with the tattoo she got before or after. she needed to take control of something. this is similar to her ***** on IG they are a statement she isn't just posing there like a kardashian, she is taking back control and it is meaningful and it is powerful. we aren't really helping her if we say "omg people take ***** all the time" no cause again it is not the same; and again labeling her as crazy for this is what is wrong.

so i think that rather than undermining what she did and simplifying it to "people shave their heads all the time" we need to remember that the problem was that people started making fun of her, criticizing her, ridiculing her and labeling her as "crazy" because of the heads having. but it is clear that this head shaving meant a lot more than just changing her hairstyle and that is what we should honor and respect. she was in a fragile mental state when she did it; and ignoring that is not healthy. you only grow when you face your truth and the issues you are dealing with.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block