who owns Britneys music?

Lou

It's not public information, but I'm 99% sure it's her label RCA. I mean they've released previously unreleased material while she is on hiatus which leads to believe this is the case. She (or more like her parents) signed her first contract when she was 15 and her second major contract was when she was under conservatorship so I'm sure that neither times the contract was not favoring Britney or her artistic freedom. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

• Love 1
  • Like 4

These kinda information isn't available to public - your question cannot be answered correctly at all but as Britney was a minor when she first signed onto the label I am sure her parents does or whoever signed the contract then when Jive dissolved to RCA - her catalog moved to RCA when you move a contract is re - worked but by this time Britney was under a conservatorship so this again means she didn't had any legal capacity to even hold the rights to her music. 

Now one thing could've happened Jive was a very small label they took a huge risk with Britney so maybe they never took the ownership of her catalog and it was shifted to her parents and then when Britney became major her catalog went to her but this is a good case scenario. 

Older acts who did sell in pure/hard sales hardly owned their catalogue even artists like Whitney - Celine - Madonna (now she will) etc etc didn't own their catalog. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
Just now, Isla said:

Pretty sure it's RCA. They've (and Sony Music as a whole) already released compilations without Britney's knowledge (e.g. Oops I Did It Again: The Very Best Of Britney Spears in 2012).

Not true - Very best of 'Act' is under every artist contract it comes on sooner or later - MJ - Dolly etc also had it. 

Just now, Prachi said:

Not true - Very best of 'Act' is under every artist contract it comes on sooner or later - MJ - Dolly etc also had it. 

Oh really? The album had a really random release, and it was through a different Sony label as opposed to RCA, and on Wikipedia it said an RCA spokesperson said they had no knowledge of the album when it was released. It also was never released in the US. It's not like Britney herself promoted it or acknowledged it compared to Greatest Hits: My Prerogative or The Singles Collection.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Isla said:

Oh really? The album had a really random release, and it was through a different Sony label as opposed to RCA, and on Wikipedia it said an RCA spokesperson said they had no knowledge of the album when it was released. It also was never released in the US. It's not like Britney herself promoted it or acknowledged it compared to Greatest Hits: My Prerogative or The Singles Collection.

Yes, it's always or mainly under a contract - Britney around 2012 I think was not interested in doing anything tbh commercially. 

USA is not her biggest market is mainly Europe and Latin America - she sells more there than USA but this kinda random compilations shouldn't exist in the first place. 

Circus should've been re-released with 3 came out - TSC ate the sales up - 1.2M+ would've been added to Circus! 

GH : MP was a good move but came on too early - her hits collection ate up her catalog sales like crazy! 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Prachi said:

Yes, it's always or mainly under a contract - Britney around 2012 I think was not interested in doing anything tbh commercially. 

USA is not her biggest market is mainly Europe and Latin America - she sells more there than USA but this kinda random compilations shouldn't exist in the first place. 

Circus should've been re-released with 3 came out - TSC ate the sales up - 1.2M+ would've been added to Circus! 

GH : MP was a good move but came on too early - her hits collection ate up her catalog sales like crazy! 

I feel like GH:MP came at the right time tbh. The Singles Collection seemed a bit premature although I guess it was done to celebrate Britney’s career anniversary. 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block