Why Does Britney Have Tons of Iconic Pop Culture Moments and Other Artists Like Almost None?

Everyone knows that Britney has tons of moments that really had a huge impact on pop culture... They were shocking phenomenons. Everyone knows they are iconic af. 

Baby One More Time, Oops! I Did It Again, naked bodysuit during VMAs 2000, the snake performance during VMAs 2001, kiss with Madonna during VMAs 2003, Toxic, VMAs 2007 performance and I hate to say it but shaving her head as well if we like it or not (don't look at me, people eat it like crazy to this day and call it iconic)... 

And what about other artists? Only Madonna comes to my mind with Like a Prayer and the burning crosses and obviously kiss with Britney. And Miley's gross VMAs 2013 performance :queenie_falling_dying_dead:

Beyonce, Taylor, Ariana, Bieber, Rihanna, Billie, Gaga etc? Tons of hits, a lot of controversy as well with some of them but still nothing as iconic and beautiful as Britney :emma:

Looks like Britney did it all before them and artists after her were left with nothing :emma:

Imagine looking at the list and saying Beyonce, Ariana, Gaga or Taylor had bigger impact on pop culture than Britney, some people are so delusional :queenie_falling_dying_dead: 

GettyImages-74703731.jpg

Btw do you think Britney on purpose tried to be controversial/shocking like Madonna? Well it worked anyway! :emma:

• Love 1

the word "iconic" is so overused nowadays but I must admit I use it as well on random occasions that i think nowadays generation creates "iconic" moments of their idols 

either is some drama going on

either a decent looking performance 

and other things that they might exaggerate to think that they are gonna be memorable in pop culture 

With Britney, I don't think she did on purpose, which is what separates her from Madonna (if she did it on purpose tho, then she managed to do it more naturally and effortlessly).

In addition to Like a Prayer and burning crosses, Madonna also has the Like a Virgin and Vogue at the VMAs, the Live and Tell performance at the Confessions tour etc.

Iconic word is thrown around a lot these days it happens as Twitter culture is rotting kids brain, Britney during her peak was constantly pushing boundaries her evolution was surreal to witness it's hard to rank her best performances because during her peak she was giving it all. 

Now, moving on from this Madonna always made controversies she was a fearless women and always have been Britney on the other side was mainly looking to put out great stuff and for not making headlines considering Britney is a very shy person. 

The pop stars you mentioned like - Ariana - Taylor etc are not performers though they are singers so their iconic performances won't span out outside fandom while artists like MJ - Madonna - Janet - Britney did things when things weren't acceptable as they were seemed to be much controversial those days I remember how much Britney was shamed for Slave video now it's seen as iconic this happens with females in general iconic status isn't achieved suddenly it takes time. 

For Beyonce - she also has iconic performances but being a R&B artist her iconic performances aren't spanned out WW but rather in some specific countries while Britney being pop has been recognised WW this happens as pop is more famous than R&B in general. 

I think it has a lot to do with the changes in the media and how music and pop culture is consumed nowadays as opposed to the time when Madonna or MJ were everything and later on when Britney was coming up. Back then  whenever Britney pushed the limits of her own image it was a big deal, it would make the news and those news reached you, because she was everywhere, even if you weren't a fan. But now with the internet and whatnot, that "everywhere" presence is impossible to achieve for a celebrity, not in the same degree I think. There are soooo many outlets and our pop culture news go through so many filters, we end up only getting the news we're interested in getting.

That means "iconic" moments are only iconic to fans, because your random neighbour who isn't interested in popstars probably won't even know that "iconic" thing happened. I think after Britney, the only one close to achieving that was maybe Gaga, because she went all in just for the sake of shocking people.

Regarding Britney's own iconic moments, I think she did follow Madonna's lead in pursuing a little shock and a little controversy (although mostly she tried to use to her favour the controversy that was pushed against her), although it never felt she was going too far, just that she was breaking out of the mold she was always put in. 

I LOVE Britney. Like...hardcore. 

She has a ton of iconic pop culture moments but others do as well. Maybe not Taylor, Bieber or Ariana(yet) but Beyoncé and Gaga FOR SURE! 

Those two I would put in the same league as Britney when it comes to pop culture moments and influence. You can't deny that. Each in their own way shaped and inspired pop culture in more than one way. 

I think it's because Britney didn't just play the popstar, she represents an iconic character in the sense that she refers to very strong archetypes of our civilization, few exemples :

First she looks like a Barbie, the symbol of the perfect American blond hair beautiful young girl.

She is also the virgin.

She's also almost naked with a snake around her neck, she's clearly playing Eve.

She's the pure virgin bride who, out of nowhere, feels rebelious and trow away her veil and kiss a woman. So she's playing with very strong symbolic costumes (the wedding dress)

etc etc etc..

Basiclay she understood that she was a character, a name, a brand, that was playing with symbols to create the WOW factor.

Most artists in major music companies don't have the strength or capacity to bring this level of symbolism with their music and visuals.

:tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus:

• Love 2

I think Gaga is the last performer to create a show in her perfomances.

2 hours ago, Prachi said:

Iconic word is thrown around a lot these days it happens as Twitter culture is rotting kids brain, Britney during her peak was constantly pushing boundaries her evolution was surreal to witness it's hard to rank her best performances because during her peak she was giving it all. 

Now, moving on from this Madonna always made controversies she was a fearless women and always have been Britney on the other side was mainly looking to put out great stuff and for not making headlines considering Britney is a very shy person. 

The pop stars you mentioned like - Ariana - Taylor etc are not performers though they are singers so their iconic performances won't span out outside fandom while artists like MJ - Madonna - Janet - Britney did things when things weren't acceptable as they were seemed to be much controversial those days I remember how much Britney was shamed for Slave video now it's seen as iconic this happens with females in general iconic status isn't achieved suddenly it takes time. 

For Beyonce - she also has iconic performances but being a R&B artist her iconic performances aren't spanned out WW but rather in some specific countries while Britney being pop has been recognised WW this happens as pop is more famous than R&B in general. 

I agree

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, warioaddams said:

I think Gaga is the last performer to create a show in her perfomances.

I agree

Absolutely gaga peak couldn't last even 2 albums but gaga made fashion statements and her meat dress was indeed one of the most thing remembered kids of today don't even know what iconic word is its earned and not given. 

Pop of today is afraid to push boundaries and the thing is that they won't be able to everything has been done I don't see anybody coming even close to britney prime perofmances, now people call twerking dancing what more low you can imagine

• Like 1

While I think it's mostly true, I do think Gaga was the last to create a real impact. I mean the meat dress, her "bleeding" for her VMA's performance, Born This Way, Bad Romance as a whole. Those were huge at the time but I agree that when we think huge pop culture phenomenons, we think Britney and/or Madonna first 

Well, Britney was the last pop star to rise to fame without the help of Internet and social media.

Back in the day, pop stars had to work their ***** off to deliver, and Britney was the ring leader. Just watch her many rehearsals and, boy..., she was the best. Every time Britney showed up, the world would stop. If you wanted to keep up with her and her career, you had to buy her physical albums, watch her award show performances and her music videos on MTV.

Think of Michael and Madonna. Both became king and queen of pop before the rise of internet social. Then, Internet and social media screwed things up. Nothing was special anymore. No one was special anymore. Nowadays, you don't have to be talented to become a star. You just have to be popular.

Everyone strives to be special. And when/if everyone is special, no one is.

That's why Britney was, and still is, unique. She was/is rare. That's why she's the Princess of pop

• Love 2
  • Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block