Idk about Blackout….

Hi everyone,

so I am a new Britney fan. Since watching the “Framing Britney Spears” documentary this summer I have become infatuated with Britney and her music! I’ve been listening to her albums in order and I’ve finally gotten to Blackout. So far, I loved all the albums and enjoyed them right away. In the Zone being my favorite followed by Oops. Yesterday, I heard Blackout for the first time and I honestly could not get through it. Please don’t attack me lol. I know this is THE Britney album but i found it tough to listen to the album. It feels really loud and in your face. Not as easy to listen to as her previous from my experience. I listened to it for the second time today and still having similar experience. Is this the type of album that grows on you???? Or is it the type of pop that I might just not prefer as much?? Please don’t attack me! Just genuinely asking lol

• Love 7
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, Demi Garcia said:

I know this is THE Britney album but i found it tough to listen to the album.

:oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

43 minutes ago, Demi Garcia said:

Is this the type of album that grows on you????

:nopingout_meme: in my experience, you get to tolerate it over the years, but if you didn't like it at first, you'll hardly get to like it ever

It IS very different than any other music Britney released before or after. Actually starting with that record is when I noticed a shift in Britney's audience/fanbase overall. A lot of people claim that they were fans since before, and still loved Blackout, in my experience, most of the people that grew up with Britney or that just liked her early records, they stopped after she released this album, then they never came back to check the material she released afterwards. Yet I know a lot of people that weren't into bubblegum Britney, but they loved Blackout (the kind of people that then believes nothing post Blackout is good enough, and have a special hate for songs such as Ooh La La, Pretty Girls, or any album tracks that are more pop/cheesy).

Sometimes I wonder where would I be now, because if it wasn't because of Break the Ice videoclip, I probably would've stopped checking for her after Gimme More and Piece of Me, and the whole album. Well, probably I would've been drawn to her again with Womanizer and Circus, but if she wasn't put in the conservatorship and forced to make that record, I don't know what direction her career would've followed, and probably I wouldn't be a Britney stan at this point :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised::sobbing_unbelievable_wow_head_shake_no_crying_sobbing_sad:

• Love 1

It has some awesome songs (Break the Ice being my fav and Gimme More)but definitely is very repetitive and it has not aged that well. I must say, it was innovative cause pop artists were not doing that back then, but I totally see what you mean. Get Naked after the thrilling hard hitting base of the first verse, turns into a never-ending loop of dullness. That can be said for many other songs on the record.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

As someone who’s been a fan since day 1 pretty much, ITZ is still my favorite album of hers to date. Blackout is good and very influential, so much so it even has been added to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but to me, I just don’t find it as enjoyable because it came out during her darkest days, so I always associate it to her breakdown. And the infamous VMA performances.

Since you’re a new fan, I highly recommend you check out some of the older performances. Britney at her prime was a beast on stage.  

• Love 2

:gagacrash_driving_run_hit_lady_sunglasses: I think the album's a grower. It does have some low points, but overall it's very cohesive record. Some songs have so many hooks and layers that you need to listen them multiple times and preferably with good sound system, to fully enjoy them and I get why they can be bit too much for first timer (Looking at you Get Naked (I Got a Plan)).

Also to understand it's true greatness you should keep in mind A) Britney's personal history, especially from 2003-2007 because it's very important to understand what she was going through during the recording, B) the albums/music that came out during and after the timeframe (since pop music was taking major turns in 2003-2009) and how impactful Blackout was compared to almost everything at the time and C) that it's very "punk" and rebellious record that breaks a lot of pop music's "rules".

It may be hard to understand the album now, but I promise that it's gonna be worth it if you give it another chance. I recommend reading about Blackout, or watch videos/listen podcasts about it if you want to understand what makes it so great. :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

• Love 5

Thank you for coming here and saying this, Blackout is overrated by miles it's a great record it invented Dark electro record and I love listening to blackout while working out but people treat it like woooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww when In the zone - Britney are literally right there same for circus! 

Anyway, first of all welcome to the club and also what kind of music you listen to then your question can be answered in a better way. 

• Love 1

Blackout was the entire edginess that ITZ was missing in some tracks and that's why a lot of people loved it even outside her fandom. But you can see her transition from ITZ to Blackout and those two in my opinion are totally what Britney really wanted at the time. If you're a real fan since the beginning, you can see how she was finding her own sound and image on each record as she was growing up. It was natural and understandable since she was a teenager when she started doing bubblegum pop... I mean, she was definitely not going to stay that way forever lmao. :weusay_tiffany_cackle_cackling_chuckle_giggle_lol_haha_hehe_laugh:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block