Jump to content

Mimi does it again: ‘All I Want for Christmas’ is #1 at Billboard Hot 100


Recommended Posts

Twist off, Chubby Checker: Your double run just got lapped.

The yuletide is high for Mariah Carey’s 1994 holiday staple “All I Want for Christmas,” which moves into the top spot on the Billboard Hot 100 today — becoming the first song to top that tally in three separate chart runs.

The hitmaking singer’s track breaks its tie with Checker’s smash “The Twist,” which hit No. 1 in 1960 and returned to the summit two years later. “All I Want for Christmas” first climbed to No. 1 in 2019, made it back there last year and moves up from No. 2 this week to complete the feat. All told, it has amassed six weeks at No. 1.

The track also nudged Checker from another Hot 100 record as it now boasts the longest spans between chart-topping runs. “The Twist” did it in one year and three months-plus.

Carey also extends her personal chart record of most total weeks at No. 1 for any artist in the Hot 100’s 63-year history: 85, spanning 19 songs. One more chart-topper, and she would match the Beatles for most No. 1s.

The singles chart for the week dated December 25, 2021, also includes five other holiday hits: Brenda Lee’s 1958 classic “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” in No. 2, Bobby Helms’ “Jingle Bell Rock” from 1957 ranks fourth, Andy Williams’ 1963 chestnut “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” is No. 7, and Wham!’s “Last Christmas” from 1984 returns to the Top 10 at No. 9.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Style. said:

Nicki should have ended this brat long ago, this is music to my ears and much better than her ugly Christmas song! :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat: @Prachi hand me the gun sweetie :gunney:

 

The way mimi promotes this song from mariah cookies to McDonald's menus no wonder this has become the most played holiday song now! Let's file a petition for nicki to write a holiday song like queen album 😁

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well, there are no surprises there mediabase reported high radio plays for this song along along with last Christmas! Mimi is playing her cards rights making her the only artist to have this feat for 4 decades on BB no 1! I don't think this song will slow down at all considering how much label and mimi invests in it. 

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Prachi said:

The way mimi promotes this song from mariah cookies to McDonald's menus no wonder this has become the most played holiday song now! Let's file a petition for nicki to write a holiday song like queen album 😁

We get it, the song hit #1 but can we please not normalize this? I’m so fed up with Mariah popping out on Christmas and then nobody knows about her existence for the rest of the year (thank God) :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

I would love a Nicki Christmas inspired song. It will sell and she will be serving ‘cause it’s Nickiiiiiiii :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

Link to comment
Just now, Style. said:

We get it, the song hit #1 but can we please not normalize this? I’m so fed up with Mariah popping out on Christmas and then nobody knows about her existence for the rest of the year (thank God) :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

I would love a Nicki Christmas inspired song. It will sell and she will be serving ‘cause it’s Nickiiiiiiii :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

Nicki always sells her old mix tape sold without zero promo, haters gonna hate nicki Invented female rap and is the queen of rap! Mariah has now became a Xmas person her other 18 (discounted) hits are forgotten worldwide let her have this! Anaconda alone washes her hits. 

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Prachi said:

Nicki always sells her old mix tape sold without zero promo, haters gonna hate nicki Invented female rap and is the queen of rap! Mariah has now became a Xmas person her other 18 (discounted) hits are forgotten worldwide let her have this! Anaconda alone washes her hits. 

Nicki did NOT invent female rap. Saying otherwise is just delusional. Don't mistake your fave for the original. 

Link to comment
1 minute ago, anthony7226 said:

Nicki did NOT invent female rap. Saying otherwise is just delusional. Don't mistake your fave for the original. 

Nicki did invent female rap, no one was checking for female rappers before Nicki came out. Business and music wise, Nicki made a lucrative genre and everything you hear and see in today’s music is thanks to Nicki! :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat: 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Prachi said:

Nicki always sells her old mix tape sold without zero promo, haters gonna hate nicki Invented female rap and is the queen of rap! Mariah has now became a Xmas person her other 18 (discounted) hits are forgotten worldwide let her have this! Anaconda alone washes her hits. 

Come thru mama, I never knew you were such a casual Nicki fan. :emma: 

Can you imagine in 2021 Nicki selling out her mixtape without any promo while a 3x Grammy winning artist using a lot of payola couldn’t crack 2k pure sales? REAL HOT CLOWN SHIIII :emma:

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Style. said:

Nicki did invent female rap, no one was checking for female rappers before Nicki came out. Business and music wise, Nicki made a lucrative genre and everything you hear and see in today’s music is thanks to Nicki! :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat: 

Lil Kim, Missy Elliot, Foxy Brown, Queen Latifah ... to name a few ... These Queens were selling records WITHOUT streaming. Kim and Missy alone were the go-to features for R&B and pop records years before Nicki even came onto the scene. You act like no females were rapping and selling before Nicki and that is just downright ignorant. Like, I can't even believe this is still a conversation. We get it, you stan Nicki. But check your history, please. 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...