EU tried to ban the word Christmas for being ''too offensive''

EU is forced to backtrack on 'cancelling Christmas' after outcry over message telling staff to say 'holiday period' instead because it is 'more inclusive'

''The EU has been accused of trying to 'cancel Christmas' after telling staff to avoid the word in favour of 'holiday period' because it could be offensive to non-Christians.

Eurocrats published the rule months ago as part of a guide on 'inclusive communication', details of which leaked this week leading to a furious backlash.

Politicians from Italy - where the story first emerged - accused the EU of waging a war on 'common sense' while the Vatican accused Brussels of trying to 'cancel' Europe's Christian roots.

Brussels has now been forced to backtrack - withdrawing what it called a 'draft document' after a 'number of concerns' were raised. ''

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10262567/EU-accused-cancelling-Christmas-telling-staff-say-holiday-period.html

https://greekreporter.com/2021/12/07/eu-canceling-christmas/

''

The European Union was forced to retract a controversial document after the Vatican accused Brussels of trying to cancel Christmas by “banning” certain Christian words.

The manual, which is supposed to be used for communications in EU institutions, and which is purportedly aimed at avoiding discrimination and promoting inclusivity, has been withdrawn, because it recommended banning the word “Christmas” in communications.

The controversial document, titled “Union of Equality,” recommended the expression “holiday period” instead of “Christmas period.” The document even proposed that traditionally Christian names such as “Mary” and “John” not be used anymore.''

The Grinch reviewed: a Christmas classic for quarantine

4 minutes ago, britney_rocks said:

Iron Man Reaction GIF

4 minutes ago, cocodeluxe said:

:cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

They are brain dead. Imagine cancelling Xmas on a continent where first you have a Christian Xmas and then, Orthodox one. They aren't taking those away from me. Esp since there's a nice Slava in January.

Idgaf if Xmas is offensive to some gen Z tiktok kids and woke soccer moms, I AM CELEBRATING IT 2 TIMES (as I've always had)!

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Imagine being triggered by a holiday. :shadelaugh_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: The most amusing part is that I've never seen anyone online or met anyone in real life who was "offended" by Christmas. I figure that literally only the most hardcore Twitter SJWs who lurk in the deepest part of that cesspool would even be bothered by a ****ing holiday, but their angst shouldn't be enough to cancel Christmas. Mariah stays winning. :mcwave_mariah_Carey_kiss_bye_goodbye_wave:

• Love 4
  • Haha 1
  • Like 4

Ew.  This is where I fear we’re headed.  

I’ve been thinking about this since I said “Merry Christmas” to someone the other day and they replied “Happy Hanukkah” to which I instinctively replied “Happy Hanukkah”

The guy seemed like he was being bitter, but I’m over trying to fight with people so I thought it would just be nice if I said that and then in a perfect world he could’ve said “Merry Christmas” too.

Why can’t we be adult enough to have this be the norm?  These aren’t holidays that represent terrible things, so idk why people can’t just be respectful.

It’s government trying to slowly strip away at our identities and freedoms.

• Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, IRunAway said:

Ew.  This is where I fear we’re headed.  

I’ve been thinking about this since I said “Merry Christmas” to someone the other day and they replied “Happy Hanukkah” to which I instinctively replied “Happy Hanukkah”

The guy seemed like he was being bitter, but I’m over trying to fight with people so I thought it would just be nice if I said that and then in a perfect world he could’ve said “Merry Christmas” too.

Why can’t we be adult enough to have this be the norm?  These aren’t holidays that represent terrible things, so idk why people can’t just be respectful.

It’s government trying to slowly strip away at our identities and freedoms.

Try to celebrate every holiday like it's your last because of bs like this. Censorship and the absurdity are on the rise. Maybe one day, they even put this bill and manage to censor Christmas and other holidays too.

SJW and just the whole ''woke'' propaganda among the censorship is strong, regardless how annoying it is.

That's why all of us should enjoy the fact we can still celebrate holidays, say what we mean (in our closest circles, not online though)... Just make as much memories until you can. Because of bs like this.

I'm personally scared of the future- all censored up, everything is shipped online in a metaverse like bs, social credit score- basically a never ending Black Mirror episode. That's why I'm trying to make the most of the present, regardless of how ****ty it seems to already be.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

This is so far from being true.

First all of it was an internal note for people who work in EU institutions - no one ever tried to put a ban on anything. 
Also it was meant to be inclusive which is exactly what LBGT+ community stands for - or should stand for. Being inclusive means accepting and co-existing with all genders, ***ual orientations, religions, cultures. 

Personally, I am proud to be an European citizen. Europe was founded on principles such as human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality and respect for human rights. Criticizing these choices (intentions in this specific case) means not sharing them which is quite hypocritical especially because the USA should be the land of the free. And because you all are commenting on Exhale. 

• Love 3
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, hernameis said:

First all of it was an internal note for people who work in EU institutions - no one ever tried to put a ban on anything. 
Also it was meant to be inclusive which is exactly what LBGT+ community stands for - or should stand for. Being inclusive means accepting and co-existing with all genders, ***ual orientations, religions, cultures. 

Personally, I am proud to be an European citizen. Europe was founded on principles such as human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality and respect for human rights. Criticizing these choices (intentions in this specific case) means not sharing them which is quite hypocritical especially because the USA should be the land of the free. And because you all are commenting on Exhale. 

If you want to be so inclusive to say holidays instead of Christmas and remove names like John, Mary etc...

You do you boo, but we ain't joining.

:gloss_mirror_young_little_girl_smile_child_makeup_lipstick_lipgloss_lips_pink:

• Love 3
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, FreeBritBrit said:

If you want to be so inclusive to say holidays instead of Christmas and remove names like John, Mary etc...

You do you boo, but we ain't joining.

:gloss_mirror_young_little_girl_smile_child_makeup_lipstick_lipgloss_lips_pink:

Again, no one tried to remove or cancel anything. Also, since when is it offensive to wish someone happy holidays? They are indeed holidays. This is mad. 

• Love 1

Horrible mentality thats makes people hate the European Union.

Why do they keep on saying we're in 2021 if christmas doesn't exist anymore ?!

Every single day they find a new way to destroy the roots of our civilisation, they should know we won't stay sitting nicely forever.

Wokism is an illness. 

Period.

• Love 2
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, hernameis said:

Europe was founded in wars 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block