Doja Cat covers Rolling Stone and talks Dr. Luke

Jordan Miller

• Leader

This marks the first time Doja Cat has commented on Dr. Luke.

Excerpt from the interview:

I ask Doja whether she feels the same as Saweetie, i.e., if she will continue to work with him in the future. At first, she is reticent: “That’s not a question I feel really comfortable answering,” she says, then pauses. “I haven’t worked with him in a very long time,” she finally says. “A lot of those songs were . . .” She pauses again. “There’s **** that he’s credited for, where I’m like, ‘Hmm, I don’t know, I don’t know if you did anything on that.’ ”

“Like what?” I ask.

“It doesn’t matter,” she says. “The point is he’s gotten some credit for ****. And, you know, it’s whatever. I don’t think I need to work with him again. I don’t think I need to work with him in the future. I know that.” She pauses. “I think it was definitely nice of me to work with him,” she says, emitting a dry chuckle. (Reached for comment, a representative for Dr. Luke wrote that “Luke is very proud of Amala (Doja Cat) and the work they have done together,” and that Luke has “written a uniquely large amount of hits and career-defining songs, and continues to do so. As it is his daily work, his practice, as is the industry’s, is to receive publishing when he creates songs.”)

A few weeks later, Doja sends a follow-up statement regarding her comments on Luke. “I wanted to clarify something that I had been thinking about since the interview,” she wrote in an email sent through a representative. “When asked about Luke I may have said something that someone could interpret as me saying that he had taken credit on things he didn’t deserve to. I just want to be clear that I have no firsthand knowledge of that being the case and I don’t want to participate in the rumor mill. The credits on my music are accurate, and I don’t want to imply anything else.”

She added that her previous comments were borne out of her “sensitivities in the past about certain people attributing my general success to the work of others — in particular, men.” She continued, “As a young woman I think it is always important to fight for the credit that we are all due, and that was the point I was trying to make there.”

djcrs.jpg.4000921a9b21f2f0cc2b74de28468ab9.jpg

• Love 1

I actually loved her response, and even her clarification afterwards. Whether people like it or not, Dr Luke is a fantastic producer, but the media should stop mentioning him as if he were the sole responsible for Doja's success.

PS: Dr Luke's lawyer calling her "Amala" in a public statement as if they were besties was kinda cringe. That even sounded extorsive to me, as in... "Girl, I KNOW YOU..."

• Love 2
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Style. said:

Ayo look’ like I’m going for a swim :emma: JORDAN MILLER, WHY DID YOU NOT POST SAY SO BY NICKI MINAJ SETTING A GUINNESS WORLD  RECORD? ARE YOU A PRESSI PLAIN JANE? DO NOT PUSH MY PEN JORDAN    :gunney:

a guinness world record for best case of tacking herself onto a song that is already topping the charts with a half-hearted feature that doesn't become half as popular as the original

then exposing herself as fake by failing to acknowledge that artist again or feature on a song that is a damn tribute to her

:bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, ByDemand said:

a guinness world record for best case of tacking herself onto a song that is already topping the charts with a half-hearted feature that doesn't become half as popular as the original

then exposing herself as fake by failing to acknowledge that artist again or feature on a song that is a damn tribute to her

:bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

The song was already predicted for falling off the top #10 before the remix. Barbs made the song number #1 and the same gullible Barbs are the ones who follow these rap girlies. Female Rap is dominated 90% of Nicki ducking Minaj. They are here because of her. Now suck my toes! :emma: 

ByDemand they say, but by whom? If I come back in exhale , it will be COVID knockout for some of y’all. :emma:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block