Taylor Swift will face a jury for "Shake It Off" lawsuit

Jordan Miller

• Leader

Taylor Swift will have to face a jury in an ongoing lawsuit regarding lyrics from "Shake It Off" - the claim is she ripped off 3LW's 2001 tune Playas Gon' Play.

Both tracks feature "players gonna play" and "haters gonna hate." :tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:

From the BBC:

In his original ruling, District Judge Michael W Fitzgerald cited 13 earlier songs that featured similar phrases, including Playa Hater by The Notorious B.I.G. and Dreams by Fleetwood Mac.

However, songwriters Sean Hall and Nathan Butler appealed against the ruling and a federal appeals court reversed his decision.

That sent the case back to Judge Fitzgerald. Swift asked for a summary judgment - an immediate ruling that she had not infringed copyright - but on Thursday, he refused.

Seems wack to me. Thoughts, Exhale? :staysalty_hands_rub_so_there_blue_walk_away_made_my_point:sw.jpg.de58d4a81b3c38fa80fe4256ebe357a5.jpg

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, jordeezy said:

I mean...I always thought it was a lot like 3LW's song so I see where they are coming from.

The phrase "haters gunna hate /playas gunna play" is common slang/phrasing and 3LW did not invent it nor is it their intellectual property or something LMAO

This lawsuit is a joke.:haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

• Love 7
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, thebritmaster said:

Same goes for Tay stealing credits from Olivia. 

She didn't steal sh-t, though. I know it's easy to think Taylor/her team might have threatened Olivia with a lawsuit because they have a tendency to sue people, but that's highly unlikely since they're clearly friendly. If anything, Olivia/her team just wanted to be on the safe side in response to the plagiarism accusations. In fact, "accusations" is putting it lightly - there was a whole lot of drama. Moreover, it could've just been a PR move as well. I guess Taylor could've declined the offer, but I don't think there's any reason to point fingers or speculate when we don't know the details and the two are, at the very least, on good terms.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, anthony7226 said:

Playas gonna play, hata's gonna hate are not unique lyrics. They are repeated ad nauseam in tv shows, movies, every day conversations, and yes, lyrics.

This, the group sueing her is like them trying to take credit as being the genious masterminds behind these lyrics when they're in fact so common way before they used it...

• Love 4
  • Like 1

Taylor Swift is one of the best song writers of this generation. Last time I checked, "haters gonna hate" and "players gonna play" are well know publicly used statements that should not be referenced lol. It is a joke, similar to when Britney was sued over : "If I said I want your body, would you hold it against me?". 3LW can go get publicity elsewhere, noting that I have no idea who they are or what they do in life :lollipop_britney_sucker_dancing_party_2012:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block