Kim Petras talks Dr. Luke backlash in new interview

• Leader

Kim Petras is still facing heat for working with Dr. Luke. She feels targeted more than others.

Thoughts, Exhale?

From Buzzfeed News:

Like Saweetie and Doja Cat, Petras has been made to answer about why she works with his label. And Petras’s first unofficial statement on the matter, casually dropped during an interview — “I would like my fans to know that I wouldn’t work with somebody I believe to be an abuser of women, definitely not” — upset a lot of her fans.

The comment continues to follow her, and when Troye Sivan asked her in 2018 to join his tour she issued another statement: She did not want to "dismiss the experiences of others or suggest that multiple perspectives cannot exist at once."

When I brought this up in our interview, Petras’s publicist got uncomfortable. Even though we did a preinterview and she knew I’d ask about the backlash, she broke in: “That’s not a fair question to ask her.”

“I just feel like a lot of it is like getting transferred to me,” Petras said. “A lot of people like to blame it on the women.” I asked her if she understood that the questions are all part of a wider conversation around women in music and Svengalis. “Of course. But I think I'm sometimes being held to a different standard than other artists,” she countered.

Some stans have started shifting the conversation from the artists signed to Dr. Luke’s companies to his continued dominance in the industry, and his power over women he signed early on in their career. Doja Cat’s fans theorized that they’re tied to contracts in which Dr. Luke gets publishing credits regardless of his involvement. Becky G eventually sued him because of the restrictiveness of her contract. Petras was guarded on what she could say about her agreement. “So people want me to quit making music?” she said at one point. “Because that’s the option.”

But when news came out of her signing to Republic this year, fans uncovered that it was for a Dr. Luke sublabel, Amigo, and wrote about the ethics of supporting her music. “I've kind of become a punching bag for that, and that’s what it is, and that’s OK.”

Related:

kplu.jpg.28dabb742c4fc20ee86e19518469c407.jpg

• Love 1

Petras was guarded on what she could say about her agreement. “So people want me to quit making music?” she said at one point. “Because that’s the option.”

Girl, there's more than one music producer in the world. :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Tbh it annoys the hell out of me that despite the whole world knowing about the Dr. Luke situation, people continue to play his music and fill his pockets. It's not just Kim's or Doja's fault of course, but they could've done the morally correct thing and simply not have signed with him. Or at least try to get out of their contracts like Kesha has tried to.

• Love 2

Let’s just accept the fact that most of us are hypocrites and we just enjoy cancelling people as long as it’s not our fave artists or songs. We say we think something is wrong, but then support something because it’s linked to a “great” song or artist. Yes, the artist has a responsibility and could potentially do what morally is considered “correct”, but we also have a responsibility as a consumer. And we can’t point the finger when we do exactly the same thing, so bye! 

• Love 2
  • Like 4
33 minutes ago, Mexwero said:

Let’s just accept the fact that most of us are hypocrites and we just enjoy cancelling people as long as it’s not our fave artists or songs. We say we think something is wrong, but then support something because it’s linked to a “great” song or artist. Yes, the artist has a responsibility and could potentially do what morally is considered “correct”, but we also have a responsibility as a consumer. And we can’t point the finger when we do exactly the same thing, so bye! 

This

• Love 1

I'm not taking any side here because I think the topic is complex and we don't know all the contractual details and how all the women involved really feel, but what truly baffles me is people acknowledging a serious matter, being politically conscious and talking about morals, and then... Dancing to "Coconuts" :wyd_wtf_meme_hand_umm_wth_what_the_hell:

My point is, it's pop music. People turn to pop music when they want to unwind and have a good time. So let them. I think we need to find a way to stop abuse and further good causes without cutting out the very few things in the world that are nice and glittery (at least on the surface...)

Won't somebody please think of the gay children?!

spacer.png

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

I'm not taking any side here because I think the topic is complex and we don't know all the contractual details and how all the women involved really feel, but what truly baffles me is people acknowledging a serious matter, being politically conscious and talking about morals, and then... Dancing to "Coconuts" :wyd_wtf_meme_hand_umm_wth_what_the_hell:

My point is, it's pop music. People turn to pop music when they want to unwind and have a good time. So let them. I think we need to find a way to stop abuse and further good causes without cutting out the very few things in the world that are nice and glittery (at least on the surface...)

Won't somebody please think of the gay children?!

spacer.png

Well said :tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus:

2 hours ago, monkeystar88 said:

TBH we don't know what happened between Kesha and Dr. Luke. Just because someone points a finger at someone doesn't mean its true. Should we all go on a witch hunt. By trying to take justice into your own hands to believe and defend Kesha you become the very monster you hate. 

Agreed. 

It's seems the whole "innocent until prove guilty" thing doesn't apply to everyone on the internet. 

The selective outrage is too much for me. 

• Like 1

Kesha did indeed bring the matter of her being **** or psychologically abused to the attention of the label before she got big, so the whole point of her just making this up to get out of the contract is ridiculous and proves another point that this man, no matter what the judge ruled, is allegedly not innocent.

And learning about Lukes involvement still in this industry is despicable. I try to not listen to music by him and his artists, as I am not listening to music from Michael Jackson which is another case that never got solved and leaves a bad feeling when his music is on the radio.

If artists can chose with whom they want to work, it should not be him PERIOD and if they do then they deserve the backlash and if someday the truth comes out, they will be cancelled with him for sure.

(Also Kelly Clarkson stated that working with him was hell and I believe her for sure even if it does not make him a rap***).

21 hours ago, Stefani said:

Girl, there's more than one music producer in the world. :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme: Tbh it annoys the hell out of me that despite the whole world knowing about the Dr. Luke situation, people continue to play his music and fill his pockets. It's not just Kim's or Doja's fault of course, but they could've done the morally correct thing and simply not have signed with him. Or at least try to get out of their contracts like Kesha has tried to.

You can deny he’s a musical genius. also Kesha lost the case and it turned into it that he was framed. He wasn’t guilty as many of us thought before. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block