Adele postpones Las Vegas residency one day before opening, drama behind-the-scenes

Jordan Miller

2 hours ago, Sia said:

You do know that residencies have been going on for decades right? Britney likely went that route because they saw how successful Celine Dion was and it was more cost effective than touring. And before you say that Celine doesn't count because she wasn't a popular artist on the scene, she released several albums and went on world tours WHILE she was doin her residency.

If anything, I'd say Adele is following Celine's footsteps.

Britney made it a trend for young artist because artist at celeines age are there for retirement. Britney have Vegas a whole other value for entertainment. Understand that πŸ’‹

• Like 2
2 hours ago, maki93 said:

Remember when everyone judged Britney for doing Vegas? Now they are lining up for residencies.

(And Yes I know Celine did it first, but Celine was at a very advanced stage in her career compared to Britney).

Β 

Um....Celine released her first English album in 1992 and started her residency in 2003 - 11 years into her career. This was also just 1 year after her multi-platinum album A New Day was released. Also, if Celine was in such an advanced stage in her career, she would not have paused her residency to go on a world tour that sold out across the world.

Britney's residency started in 2013, 14 years after her debut so you could argue that Britney was actually in a much further stage in her career.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Touch my GigaBrit said:

Britney made it a trend for young artist because artist at celeines age are there for retirement. Britney have Vegas a whole other value for entertainment. Understand that πŸ’‹

I don't think that's true for Celine, though... Maybe at that time her team or even she thought that it was time for her to retire but it was a new day beginning for her, plus she was relatively young and had still SO much to offer. She still does. What an amazing singer and performer...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, maki93 said:

Β 

Β 

Celine Dion is a LEGEND. That being said, her concerts in Vegas started in 2003. Her second residency started in 2011.Β  Through ought those years, she was always the major act in Vegas, and no young pop singer or "IT" celebrity joined. It was mostly her.Β 

Britney changed that. After Britney started her residency (and she was credited for revamping Vegas and attracting the young generation there), artists started lining up for residencies. It became a cool thing to have a residency, after it was considered only for older celebrities who are close to retire. Now, it is for everyone! Yes Celine was a huge Vegas success, but Britney changed Vegas once and for all, and it is nice to give her credit for that.Β 

There was a major article written on Britney's influence on Vegas, cant remember if it was Forbes or Vulture.Β 

Β 

Update: It was Vice:Β https://www.vice.com/en/article/ae5qj8/las-vegas-residencies-revived-britney-celine-dionΒ 

Also this:Β https://medium.com/matter/miss-american-dream-31c823ad0e5aΒ 

You do also realize that Vegas went through a MAJOR recession in the 2000's where hotels weren't being built and very few if any acts were being introduced right? Britney started her residency at the heels of Vegas' revitalization. There were hotels that were literally left half finished for almost a decade on the strip because of the market crash.

Additionally, the only reason nobody else was taking up a residency is because there was well, nobody to recruit. Who exactly would you have expected to start a residency before Britney?

-The Backstreet were broken up and releasing albums with missing members...

-Christina was on the voice and releasing mediocre albums

-N*Sync was disbanded and still is

-All the other IT girls were at the height of their careers so it would be a stupid move to move to Vegas.Β 

Β 

Vegas is and always will be where you go to "retire" or get away from the "mainstream" concert schedule. The only reason Britney has remained relevant post 2010 is because of her legal struggles and hit and miss hits. Let's be honest, Britney would NOT be able to fill arenas these days to a residency is her only option and others with the same decline are following suit. The only exception was always Celine...then again, they literally BUILT a concert venue for her show. Now THAT's what you call impact when a venue is built JUST FOR YOU. Britney just took up shop in a venue that was hardly being used.

4 minutes ago, Sia said:

Um....Celine released her first English album in 1992 and started her residency in 2003 - 11 years into her career. This was also just 1 year after her multi-platinum album A New Day was released. Also, if Celine was in such an advanced stage in her career, she would not have paused her residency to go on a world tour that sold out across the world.

Britney's residency started in 2013, 14 years after her debut so you could argue that Britney was actually in a much further stage in her career.

Yes but her first album was all the way in 1981, 11 years before the 1992 English album. As she is an international star, her residency is 22 years into her career.Β 

Anyway, Celine had huge success in Vegas that started in 2003. But we didn't see residencies line up till after the success of Britney's residency in 2014. We didn't see artists lining up for Vegas between 2003 and 2014.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Sia said:

The only reason Britney has remained relevant post 2010 is because of her legal struggles and hit and miss hits. Let's be honest, Britney would NOT be able to fill arenas these days to a residency is her only option and others with the same decline are following suit.

Britney broke attendance records in Europe and Asia in 2016 and 2018.Β 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Touch my GigaBrit said:

Young artists? Britney is nearing 40....what other "young" artists are you talking about? Britney was 32 when she started her residency....Celine was 35. So please enlighten me about this "younger" artist demographic. Literally all of the artists coming on to Vegas are in their 30's.

Talk to me when Taylor Swift or Ariana start a residency.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, maki93 said:

But we didn't see residencies line up till after the success of Britney's residency in 2014. We didn't see artists lining up for Vegas between 2003 and 2014.

Maybe because there were no artists to line up between 2003 and 2014. Please give me a list of artists that could have had a residency between 2003 and 2014 that would have benefited from it?

-The Backstreet Boys (disbanded)

-Christina Aguilera (music career was practically dead)

-N*Sync (disbanded)

-Lady GaGa, Katy Perry, Ke$ha (new to the scene and at the height of their careers)

-There are literally no other "young" artists who could have gone to Vegas.

So again, what exactly did Britney pioneer?

12 minutes ago, Sia said:

Young artists? Britney is nearing 40....what other "young" artists are you talking about? Britney was 32 when she started her residency....Celine was 35. So please enlighten me about this "younger" artist demographic. Literally all of the artists coming on to Vegas are in their 30's.

If you want to deny Britney's impact on Vegas, that is on you. But facts are facts, and big news and financial outlets discussed how Britney reshaped Vegas.Β 

• Love 5

Thought we were here to talk about Adele’s residency, but instead it’s just a bunch of people complaining about the two artists with the most impact in Vegas. Typical. Media reports at the time suggested Britney was key in revitalising residencies for younger artists but I digressΒ :sofedup_fed_up_miss_ny_ms_new_york_done_tiffany_pollard_eye_roll_eyeroll_whatever:

Good for Adele. I did wonder, as years ago she declared retirement from touring but that was before Sony forked out 10’s of mils for her contract. I think Vegas is a good setting for her. The schedules easier, easier to look after your vocals and time for her child too. She’s got a full enough roster of hits and album tracks to get good coin from this for a while. I cringe to think how expensive tickets will be thoughΒ :airpls_gaga_wheeze_eyes_wide_breathe_lady_lmao_lol_haha_hehe_omg_surprised_shocked:

53 minutes ago, Sia said:

I thought celeine was 45 at the timeΒ 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Γ—
Γ—

We noticed you're using an ad blocker Β :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated πŸ’œΒ Β 

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. πŸ™

I've disabled ad block