BTS Makes History As They Win Artist Of The Year At 2021 American Music Awards

Antidote

spacer.png

BTS won Artist of the Year—the biggest honor of the night—at the 2021 American Music Awards!

The 2021 American Music Awards is taking place at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles on November 21. BTS attended the ceremony in person and snagged all three awards they were nominated for, which are Favorite Pop Duo or Group, Favorite Pop Song for “Butter,” and Artist of the Year. For Artist of the Year, BTS was up against Ariana Grande, Drake, Olivia Rodrigo, Taylor Swift, and The Weeknd.

BTS has become the first Asian act in history to win Artist of the Year at the American Music Awards, and this also marks BTS’s third consecutive year winning Favorite Pop Duo or Group.

Announced as winners for Favorite Pop Duo or Group, BTS came up on stage to receive their trophy. J-Hope said, “Thank you ARMY, and thank you AMAs so much for this. For three years in a row, wow!” Jin took the mic and thanked their fans, saying, “This is all possible thanks to ARMY. You’re our universe.” RM wrapped up the speech by sharing, “It took four years to be on this stage to get this trophy. Thank you so much. Actually it means to us even more because we’re actually a small boy band from Korea. We just got united by the love for our music, and all we want to do is just spread love, the good vibes and energy through music and performance. But without you guys, ARMY, we couldn’t have done anything. Thank you so much.”

Watch them receive the Favorite Pop Duo or Group award:

The group was back on stage to receive the Favorite Pop Song award, and Jimin expressed, “Thank you ARMY, thank you AMAs, and thank you everyone for loving our song ‘Butter.'” Jungkook added, “‘Butter’ is a special song to us. We hope it makes you feel smooth like butter.” RM concluded the speech once again. “Thanks to you all, ‘Butter’ has received so much love this year. All we had to do is just put out positive energy despite these hard times. This award truly proves that this song reaches many people’s hearts. Never take for granted. Thank you so much,” he shared.

Watch BTS give their speech for Favorite Pop Song award:

Lastly, for the Artist of the Year award, RM shared that he forgot what he was supposed to say, but he continued on by saying, “Thank you AMAs, we’re truly honored to be on this stage with such amazing, tremendous artists right over here. We’re so honored. Thanks for that.” After a pause, he admitted, “I’m nervous, yeah.”

He gave the rest of his speech. “Four years ago, we gave this first-time-ever TV live performance at this stage, AMAs, it was ‘DNA,’ and we were too excited and nervous at the time. And it’s been a long and amazing ride since then, but nobody could have ever bet on the odds of us standing here receiving this award. Except you all, ARMY. Except you all. Seven boys from Korea, united by a love for music. We met the love and support from all the ARMYs all over the world. This whole thing is a miracle. Seriously, we’ll never take this for granted. Thank you so much. We love you all, we want to give this honor to you guys. Thank you HYBE, thank you staff, all the people.”

Suga delivered his speech in Korean, saying, “We made our U.S. TV debut four years ago at the AMAs, and I had no idea we would be able to receive the Artist of the Year. I think it’s all thanks to ARMY, thank you ARMY!”

Jungkook shared, “We just wanted to make people happy with our music. We believe that this award opens the beginning of our new chapter. In the past few years, we learned that each and every moment is precious. So in 2022, we want to focus on…” and stopped. V took the microphone and said, “I’m deeply touched by this award. I appreciate your love. Thank you ARMY, thank you AMAs. Thank you, we purple you!”

Check out BTS’s speech for Artist of the Year below!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Dussiniers said:

BTS Makes History As They Win Artist Of The Year At 2021 American Music Awards

What? ...But, they're not American :mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure::disbelief_britney_surprised_shocked_wow: It is like Britney win a BET Award :imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde::meltdown_panic_scream_falling_die_ahh_scream_yell:

Is that racism or just ignorance?

Do you know that the American Music Awards are not limited to just American artists?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dussiniers said:

What? ...But, they're not American :mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure::disbelief_britney_surprised_shocked_wow: It is like Britney win a BET Award :imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde::meltdown_panic_scream_falling_die_ahh_scream_yell:

The ignorance in this statement is mind blowing. The American Music Awards are there to highlight popular music that has trended in the US throughout the year. It's not limited to music made by American artists. The BETs were created to highlight and celebrate black entertainers/producers/directors/etc. -- of which it's also not limited to American black entertainers. 

• Love 5
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, IndoJabijin said:

The ignorance in this statement is mind blowing. The American Music Awards are there to highlight popular music that has trended in the US throughout the year. It's not limited to music made by American artists. The BETs were created to highlight and celebrate black entertainers/producers/directors/etc. -- of which it's also not limited to American black entertainers. 

Is that really the case with the AMAs? Cause I was just thinking that I thought those awards had an emphasis on American artists, but then I noticed that BTS won artist of the year and they aren't American, there are no 'international artist' categories. The BRIT Awards in the UK recognise British artists but then have separate categories for international artists.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Isla said:

Britney won a BET Award?? When?

Sorry, I typed it  bad, it was misspelling. :imok_goo_ooze_yellow_slime_mess_blonde:

2 hours ago, IndoJabijin said:

Sorry, I forgot to mention I was just kidding. :meltdown_panic_scream_falling_die_ahh_scream_yell:

3 hours ago, Antidote said:
Is that racism or just ignorance?

Do you know that the American Music Awards are not limited to just American artists?

Sorry, I know what the Amas are, just joking. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Isla said:

Is that really the case with the AMAs? Cause I was just thinking that I thought those awards had an emphasis on American artists, but then I noticed that BTS won artist of the year and they aren't American, there are no 'international artist' categories. The BRIT Awards in the UK recognise British artists but then have separate categories for international artists.

The conception of the AMAs was to be a competitor to the Grammys.  But nominations have always been based on sales, airplay, streams, and music video views. They follow what trends in the US - it's not necessarily limited to American artists. Same applies to the Latin American Music Awards, they feature artists from Europe & South/Central America all the time.

2 hours ago, LikeTheMoonAndSun said:

you should stop using racism so lightly when somebody dislikes your faves, it isn't the first time you do this.... asking why an asian artist win a award titled "American" has nothing to do with racism... stop victimizing your boys at that point

The original poster already said they were joking but it's not simply an asian artist winning an award titled "American" -- they also mentioned the BETs. It was a micro aggression. It may not have been intention but by questioning it they unintentionally discriminated/undermined both BTS and black creative artists. You can't tell me it wasn't in poor taste, lol.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, IndoJabijin said:

The conception of the AMAs was to be a competitor to the Grammys.  But nominations have always been based on sales, airplay, streams, and music video views. They follow what trends in the US - it's not necessarily limited to American artists. Same applies to the Latin American Music Awards, they feature artists from Europe & South/Central America all the time.

I see I see, if it is similar to the Grammys in a way that makes sense.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block