Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" and Backstreet Boys' "I Want It That Way" join the 1 Billion club

UPDATE: They both hit the mark yesterday, though Shakira did it first :rihclap_rihanna_clapping_applause_yes_yas:

The Max Martin produced 1999 hit's music video is currently at over 996M views on YouTube, since it was first uploaded back in 2009. According to kworb, I Want It That Way is about to hit the 1 billion mark on November 12. 

Coincidentally, Shakira's 2006 smash hit Hips Don't Lie featuring Wyclef Jean also sits at over 996M views and is estimated to hit the 1 billion mark, on November 12 as well.

Let's see who does it first.

Other videos that are expected to join the 1 billion club soon are Rihanna's We Found Love, Camila Cabello's Havana and Reik's Me Niego

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Bambas said:

Probably if that didn't happen she would be much closer or even have reached the 1B mark. I don't remember which videos were taken down but I believe BOMT and OIDIA were among them.

That wasn't just Britney, but all artists. VEVO accounts started in 2009, so if artists had another channel for their videos, they were removed for them, and then uploaded to the VEVO accounts which were now the official youtube channels.

For whatever reason not all videos got uploaded, MATM and Someday weren't uploaded until 2011 and Do Somethin' in 2015 I think. But again, that was the case with most artists. Shakira as recently as 2020 uploaded three old videos.

I Want It That Way and Hips Don't Lie were uploaded in 2009 just like most of Britney's videos, so they had the same chance.

Also that myth of Britney's videos having lots of views before VEVO is false. POM was the only one that had like 80M views in 2008, but the rest weren't even at 50M. Probably just GM, because those two videos were the latest at the time. 

Then I'm not sure exactly how many views the Circus videos had in 2009, but they weren't that many either. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

That wasn't just Britney, but all artists. VEVO accounts started in 2009, so if artists had another channel for their videos, they were removed for them, and then uploaded to the VEVO accounts which were now the official youtube channels.

For whatever reason not all videos got uploaded, MATM and Someday weren't uploaded until 2011 and Do Somethin' in 2015 I think. But again, that was the case with most artists. Shakira as recently as 2020 uploaded three old videos.

I Want It That Way and Hips Don't Lie were uploaded in 2009 just like most of Britney's videos, so they had the same chance.

Also that myth of Britney's videos having lots of views before VEVO is false. POM was the only one that had like 80M views in 2008, but the rest weren't even at 50M. Probably just GM, because those two videos were the latest at the time. 

Then I'm not sure exactly how many views the Circus videos had in 2009, but they weren't that many either. 

Thank you! I wasn't aware/remembered all of that. 

• Like 1

That's weird... "Hips Don't Lie" was a worldwide phenomenon so I get it, and "I Want It That Way" was huuuge but like 10 years before, so I think it's impressive it's about to reach 1B views alongside other much more recent smash hits... And I didn't know that Reik song was that big?

I feel like videos that achieve such huge amount of views get them because they are mostly big on radio (and now streaming)... and our girl Britney has never been big on that, even if she is definitely one of the undisputed video queens.

But again, wow at BSB... If anything, I would have thought that "Backstreet's Back" would get that achievement.

7 hours ago, Bambas said:

But weren't Britney's videos taken down a few years ago and then uploaded again?

Yes. And they are not available in all countries.Gimme More and Piece Of Me should have had 1 billion. Videos were deleted by Britney that went into the 100 millions then put back in without counting the previous views.

When Brit is free, the next thing we should do is take care of:

-All views their musicvideos must be counted and added

-Subsequently a Grammy for Best Album In The Zone and Blackout

-Grammy for lifetime achievement award

-Blackout must be rated as No.1 album

-Nobel Prize in Literatur

-When Brit is older: Rock `´N´ Roll Hall Of Fame (I think that's only possible when you're 50.But no problem, because then we're still with Brit and help her with it.)

-Her album, DVD and single sales need to be recalculated

They did Brit really dirty and I´m SO pissed!!!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

That's weird... "Hips Don't Lie" was a worldwide phenomenon so I get it, and "I Want It That Way" was huuuge but like 10 years before, so I think it's impressive it's about to reach 1B views alongside other much more recent smash hits... And I didn't know that Reik song was that big?

I feel like videos that achieve such huge amount of views get them because they are mostly big on radio (and now streaming)... and our girl Britney has never been big on that, even if she is definitely one of the undisputed video queens.

But again, wow at BSB... If anything, I would have thought that "Backstreet's Back" would get that achievement.

Tbh, I'm not surprised. I don't know where you're from, but over the years I've noticed a lot of people, especially from the US, don't know how big BSB were globally. Actually, I just learned this year, or last year, that their first album wasn't released in the US, until much later after it had been released internationally, which now makes sense why they kinda looked like the copy of NSYNC there, while everywhere else NSYNC were the BSB copy.

That album of theirs was huge, I think it's the only album that surpassed ...Baby One More Time in sales that year, and I Want It That Way being the lead single was super popular as well.

If any, I think Britney's videos should have way more views. BOMT is in the 660M mark, so it's getting there, but it took a lot of years before it exploded. For many years it was the newer videos the ones that got more views, like Womanizer, I Wanna Go, Work *****, and it wasn't until 2015 or so that suddenly the classics started to gain lots of views. And I guess that's the thing, that the BSB for a long time didn't have any newer videos, so their classics were the only ones getting attention all this time, plus they don't have as many videos as Britney.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

Tbh, I'm not surprised. I don't know where you're from, but over the years I've noticed a lot of people, especially from the US, don't know how big BSB were globally. Actually, I just learned this year, or last year, that their first album wasn't released in the US, until much later after it had been released internationally, which now makes sense why they kinda looked like the copy of NSYNC there, while everywhere else NSYNC were the BSB copy.

That album of theirs was huge, I think it's the only album that surpassed ...Baby One More Time in sales that year, and I Want It That Way being the lead single was super popular as well.

If any, I think Britney's videos should have way more views. BOMT is in the 660M mark, so it's getting there, but it took a lot of years before it exploded. For many years it was the newer videos the ones that got more views, like Womanizer, I Wanna Go, Work *****, and it wasn't until 2015 or so that suddenly the classics started to gain lots of views. And I guess that's the thing, that the BSB for a long time didn't have any newer videos, so their classics were the only ones getting attention all this time, plus they don't have as many videos as Britney.

bish you're from México, I'm from Argentina, you invited me to Exhale Latinx, hello? :wyd_wtf_meme_hand_umm_wth_what_the_hell:

BSB was huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge, but my point is that I'm surprised that that video kept getting so many views because even though they were HUGE back then, they also disappeared pretty fast after their album "Black and Blue". I mean, BSB is NOT an act that kept working steadily or successfully after their peak, they dropped like flies. Even I stopped following them, and I'm one loyal pop fan.

21 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

THIS 

They have way less songs than Britney, and logically less hits.

IWITW is the only HUGE and iconic hit of theirs globally so of course it got all the views. And Britney has to split those views to BOMT, OIDIA, Toxic etc. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Lil-Jay said:

THIS 

They have way less songs than Britney, and logically less hits.

IWITW is the only HUGE and iconic hit of theirs globally so of course it got all the views. And Britney has to split those views to BOMT, OIDIA, Toxic etc. 

True :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

however they do have other videos with considerable views:

• As Long As You Love Me and Everybody both have over 300M views.
  • Shape of My Heart and Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely have over 200M.
  • Incomplete, Drowning and Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) are over 100M.

And I think Larger than Life would be up there with those, but it wasn't uploaded until 2012. Also, The Call should have more views, but for years they only had that ugly remix, and the original one wasn't uploaded until 2019. 

But yeah, overall, they have about half of Britney's total views combining all the channel: BSB have 3.4B against Britney's 6.3B. Which both pale against Shakira's 20.9B

In a closer comparison to BSB, we have NSYNC. Their most watched video, Bye Bye Bye, only has 277M views. This I Promise You has 204M and It's Gonna Be Me, despite the meme, only has 146M. The rest of their videos are not even close to 100M, and overall their whole channel only totals 975M. 

Westlife, another band that gets underrated, has 2.1B views on their channel, with My Love being the highest at 279M, and four other videos with over 100M. 

The one that surprises me the most is Spice Girls' Wannabe, which only has 545M views. It was uploaded since 2009, and being so iconic as it is, one would think it'd have 1B views already, or at least be close to it. None of their other videos has even 100M views.

Aqua's Barbie Girl, for example, has 958M views. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

True :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

however they do have other videos with considerable views:

• As Long As You Love Me and Everybody both have over 300M views.
  • Shape of My Heart and Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely have over 200M.
  • Incomplete, Drowning and Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) are over 100M.

And I think Larger than Life would be up there with those, but it wasn't uploaded until 2012. Also, The Call should have more views, but for years they only had that ugly remix, and the original one wasn't uploaded until 2019. 

But yeah, overall, they have about half of Britney's total views combining all the channel: BSB have 3.4B against Britney's 6.3B. Which both pale against Shakira's 20.9B

In a closer comparison to BSB, we have NSYNC. Their most watched video, Bye Bye Bye, only has 277M views. This I Promise You has 204M and It's Gonna Be Me, despite the meme, only has 146M. The rest of their videos are not even close to 100M, and overall their whole channel only totals 975M. 

Westlife, another band that gets underrated, has 2.1B views on their channel, with My Love being the highest at 279M, and four other videos with over 100M. 

The one that surprises me the most is Spice Girls' Wannabe, which only has 545M views. It was uploaded since 2009, and being so iconic as it is, one would think it'd have 1B views already, or at least be close to it. None of their other videos has even 100M views.

Aqua's Barbie Girl, for example, has 958M views. 

NSYNC really surprises me🙊at least in comparison with BSB 

And yeah, I remember the times when Wannabe had more views than BOMT but those days are long gone... 

And weird how non of their other songs have more than 100M 

Or actually, I think this is the better way to put it:

Spice Girls and NSYNC have pretty normal views  for an old non active groups. and quite decent considering it's been 20 years.

What really is surprising is the BSB right?!:britlol_britney_surprised_wow_oh_shocked_choatic:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Lil-Jay said:

NSYNC really surprises me🙊at least in comparison with BSB 

And yeah, I remember the times when Wannabe had more views than BOMT but those days are long gone... 

And weird how non of their other songs have more than 100M 

Or actually, I think this is the better way to put it:

Spice Girls and NSYNC have pretty normal views  for an old non active groups. and quite decent considering it's been 20 years.

What really is surprising is the BSB right?!:britlol_britney_surprised_wow_oh_shocked_choatic:

Well, sadly that's how things are, so you're right, but the newer generations of GP should show more respect and appreciation for the classics :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

• Love 1
On 11/7/2021 at 10:01 AM, Cinderella85 said:

Yes. And they are not available in all countries.Gimme More and Piece Of Me should have had 1 billion. Videos were deleted by Britney that went into the 100 millions then put back in without counting the previous views.

When Brit is free, the next thing we should do is take care of:

-All views their musicvideos must be counted and added

-Subsequently a Grammy for Best Album In The Zone and Blackout

-Grammy for lifetime achievement award

-Blackout must be rated as No.1 album

-Nobel Prize in Literatur

-When Brit is older: Rock `´N´ Roll Hall Of Fame (I think that's only possible when you're 50.But no problem, because then we're still with Brit and help her with it.)

-Her album, DVD and single sales need to be recalculated

They did Brit really dirty and I´m SO pissed!!!

Britney is eligible for the hall of fame in 2023, your first recording has to be 25 years old..

Her debut single turns 25 in 2023..

If she gets inducted, she'll break Michael Jackson's record as the youngest to be inducted at 42 years old in 2024, but that's only if she gets it based of her first year of eligibility, but the fan vote should carry her in 2024..

@PokemonSpears

@Jordan Miller

@Urbanney

@Prachi

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block