Facebook hires Britney Spears’ lawyer to fight an upcoming TV show

vinay

Via The Verge:

Facebook probably wishes it had a delete button for its timeline now that it’s threatening an upcoming TV show with a lawsuit for potentially tarnishing the brand’s reputation.

Doomsday Machine is the upcoming television adaption of An Ugly Truth, a book that exposes Facebook’s missteps on issues like misinformation, hate speech, user security. The drama will star Claire Foy as Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg and will tackle the chaos surrounding misinformation during the 2016 election, as well as more recent controversies like the XCheck program, which let celebrities and other high-profile figures bypass content moderation.

As the series begins to come together, Facebook is threatening producers Anonymous Content with a lawsuit — and it’s using Britney Spears’ lawyers to do so (via Deadline). According to Deadline, Mathew Rosengart, the same lawyer who helped free Spears from her conservatorship, sent a letter to Anonymous Content CEO Dawn Olmstead, detailing the legal action Facebook might take if any false statements or exaggerations about the company appear in the show.

As stated in the letter obtained by Deadline, Rosengart says that “the First Amendment does not protect knowingly false statements or portrayals — or those made with reckless disregard for the truth — even about public figures.”

He then goes on to attack the accuracy of An Ugly Truth, noting that it’s “replete with false and defamatory statements, characterizations, and implications about Facebook and its leadership.” If Anonymous Content decides to put any of these so-called falsities in its television adaption, Rosengart says that “Facebook will take all appropriate legal action.” To our knowledge, Facebook hasn’t taken legal action against the authors or publisher of An Ugly Truth.

Rosengart even mentioned that Facebook is willing to work with Anonymous Content to ensure that the series is “accurate and truthful.” As for whether Anonymous Content will consider getting Facebook’s input, that’s still up in the air. The Verge reached out to Anonymous Content for a statement and hasn’t heard back.

Facebook is probably just blowing smoke, but there’s no way to tell until the series debuts and Facebook finds something it doesn’t like. This may be one of the only times that Facebook is actively trying to squeeze into the plaintiff’s chair, considering Facebook’s long track record of being on the opposite side of lawsuits.

Facebook is in so much trouble with Congress right now since January 6th.

They've basically had to admit in court that they were A-OK with misinformation, fake news and extremists all on their website.

Everyone should watch that whistleblower who went on 60 Minutes talking about how Facebook cares more about profits than safety or privacy. Their algorithms are set up in a way that they bombard you with content that gets reactions. Clicking one thing and commenting on it, will lead you to getting tons of referred posts of the same content. It's not hard to see how so many people have been brainwashed by extremism on that site from the algorithms giving them more of the same content.

I hate Facebook and wish it could be broken up. The best decision i ever made regarding social media years ago was to delete all my accounts and not look back. I've had to watch my family and loved ones get sucked into QAnon and other scary cult-like stuff on there. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block