What was Britney’s smartest career move?

I’ve been wondering about this a little bit lately. You can tell even from the really early videos of Britney performing BOMT at shopping malls that she had star quality, but there are also a lot of talented performers who just fizzle out at that level. What do you think was the smartest thing Britney and/or her team did to push her into the next level of stardom? Was it the iconic Oops video, or was it even earlier when she rejected the “power rangers” BOMT video in favour of the schoolgirl outfit? What do you all think?

• Love 1
  • Like 2

it depends on what sense. I think in the end any decision, smart or not, defined the outcome of her career. 

Some may say the BOMT video, but if I'm not mistaken, they had already recorded like half the album before she worked with Max Martin. If she didn't work with him, we wouldn't even have BOMT, the song, in the first place. So that was a really important decision. Whose decision, probably someone in the record label 

• Love 3
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods

Tying up her shirt for the BOMT video, it’s a small decision but look how it catapulted her and her image. It would’ve been a forgettable typical school video as girls her age wore those types of uniforms too but showing her belly in a uniform caused controversy and had people talking and felt conflicted about it. Not to mention it made it look cool rather than cheesy and dorky. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1

I would say a lot of the music videos and performances. Some of which include:

-Videos: BOMT, Oops, Toxic, Lucky, Stronger, Slave

-Performances: 2000 VMA's, 2001 VMA's, 2003 VMA's

I think her music videos are some of the best of her generation. They inspired so many other artists. These are the things that built her legacy and continue to live on years later. These are the reasons why her name sold tickets even when she wasn't getting # 1 hits. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, hotasice2007 said:

I would say a lot of the music videos and performances. Some of which include:

-Videos: BOMT, Oops, Toxic, Lucky, Stronger, Slave

-Performances: 2000 VMA's, 2001 VMA's, 2003 VMA's

I think her music videos are some of the best of her generation. They inspired so many other artists. These are the things that built her legacy and continue to live on years later. These are the reasons why her name sold tickets even when she wasn't getting # 1 hits. 

of her generation? :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay:

Name a video this generation that's better? 

• Haha 1
  • Like 3

After the insanity that was 2006-2008, Circus really did help salvage her career and establish her as a superstar. I mean, who else goes on a 5 year hiatus from music, go through several mental situations, and come back like nothing's happened?

Unfortunately, this was the beginning of her family taking over, which sucks, as it tarnishes the legacy of an otherwise impeccable album.

• Love 2
  • Like 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block