Matches - Demo by Selena Gomez - Snippets

That sounds like Selena, and frankly, I think she sounds good, very laid back for what is a dance track, which always plays to her strengths. I guess the key to how ended up being a BSB collab is interesting. 

Matches is a very strange song in regards to how it was passed around. So we know it was recorded after Glory to be on B10. Justin Tranter wrote the song, then went into become EP on what was B10. I'm guess it was intended as a solo track in 2017-2018, and then the Britney Hiatus happened.

It was then supposed to appear on BSB's 2019 album DNA, released in January 2019, as a collab, which explains how it came to be, but I remember one of the band made it clear that Britney wasn't involved so it seemed like it was a demo that was sent around quite a bit.

At this point in time, 2019, b10 isn't happening and neither is a new BSB album anytime soon, so the demo was then passed to Selena, for Rare possibly, but it was then not used.

The Sample, the Egyptian sounding strings, was then used by Zara Larrson in her song Love Me Land, written by Justin Tranter, which was released mid-2020...

...and then we got the Glory Vinyl, which I fully believe was a cashgrab as Jamie's Lawyer made it clear that they were looking for passive forms of income in 2020 given Britney's protest.

So the common threads as to how so many people got this song are Justin Tranter and Lou Taylor, but I believe Justin is managed by Lou or was, so....

There you go!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

That sounds like Selena, and frankly, I think she sounds good, very laid back for what is a dance track, which always plays to her strengths. I guess the key to how ended up being a BSB collab is interesting. 

Matches is a very strange song in regards to how it was passed around. So we know it was recorded after Glory to be on B10. Justin Tranter wrote the song, then went into become EP on what was B10. I'm guess it was intended as a solo track in 2017-2018, and then the Britney Hiatus happened.

It was then supposed to appear on BSB's 2019 album DNA, released in January 2019, as a collab, which explains how it came to be, but I remember one of the band made it clear that Britney wasn't involved so it seemed like it was a demo that was sent around quite a bit.

At this point in time, 2019, b10 isn't happening and neither is a new BSB album anytime soon, so the demo was then passed to Selena, for Rare possibly, but it was then not used.

The Sample, the Egyptian sounding strings, was then used by Zara Larrson in her song Love Me Land, written by Justin Tranter, which was released mid-2020...

...and then we got the Glory Vinyl, which I fully believe was a cashgrab as Jamie's Lawyer made it clear that they were looking for passive forms of income in 2020 given Britney's protest.

So the common threads as to how so many people got this song are Justin Tranter and Lou Taylor, but I believe Justin is managed by Lou or was, so....

There you go!

What sample are you referring to?

19 hours ago, studlygeorge said:

What sample are you referring to?

There's a little instrumental part in the second verse, after she sings "like it here on your chest". The strings. I was wrong when I said Egyptian, the sample is known as the Arabian Riff, or "The Streets of Cairo", or "The Girls in France".

It's used in Matches, Love Me Land, as well as Take it Off by Kesha, as well as Lana Del Reys Music to Watch Boys to, which is unrelated but might help you recognise it.

Just thought it was an interesting tidbit bit that this idea made It's way into two songs Tranter wrote, particularly as one of them appeared like it wasn't going to be used 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block