This Day in 2008 the new Britney Spears website was launched (October 17)

2 minutes ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

How long did that last for? Her regularly posting, I mean?

I don't think she ever posted, I mean, maybe they made it seem like it was her, but for the most part I remember just like those bts pictures and stuff but it was always posted by those contributors like "Britney shared us this picture with her kids" or pictures from the Circus Tour, or the set of the videos, etc.

There were people like Britannica and other users that were regularly updating the blog, with news, or remembering things from the past, etc. Then we had the introduction of Cassie that would "debunk" tabloid rumors, etc.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

How long did that last for? Her regularly posting, I mean?

She didn’t contribute or post at all. It was just that video introducing it. Her team would use the site to post announcements, behind the scenes content and HQ tour photos. It was very ahead of its time in how it capitalised on the new digital era, as this was before social media was used as the huge marketing/PR tool it is today. Although once the tour kicked off the content got repetitive and then they seemed to give up on it by the FFT era as I guess FB was the better tool then.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Tear the floor up up said:

She didn’t contribute or post at all. It was just that video introducing it. Her team would use the site to post announcements, behind the scenes content and HQ tour photos. It was very ahead of its time in how it capitalised on the new digital era, as this was before social media was used as the huge marketing/PR tool it is today. Although once the tour kicked off the content got repetitive and then they seemed to give up on it by the FFT era as I guess FB was the better tool then.

Exactly. The thing is that that was the point of the digital tools / internet promotion before social media arrived.

Even since the original version of the website in 1999, it was a way to share news, promote upcoming performances, share bts pictures, Lynne's letters, it wasn't until later that Britney started uploading her now famous letters to the fans, but that wasn't the norm.

As you say, the website, and then when there was myspace, Facebook, Twitter, it was always like sharing Britney Spears content in a third person way, like "her team" sharing updates to the fans. Even on Facebook, before there were "official pages", there was the Britney Spears page, and then there was a Britney Spears "personal account" that you could befriend (or try to befriend) until that one was made private or deleted or something.

Even the early tweets were always signed by either Britney, Larry, Adam, Brett, etc. It was like a brand thing.

In the following years there were other social media sites that they ventured in too, but those eventually flopped, like social cam or Google+

Other platforms, like YouTube were also used in a weird way, again, before there were even VEVO accounts. And that's how her official channel now has videos like these

But then VEVO happened, then there was like the official mark or verified mark added to Facebook, Twitter, etc, and suddenly there was like an standardization of all social media, posts were made across all the different platforms at once, etc.

But I think it wasn't until Instagram happened, that people started considering artist's accounts as if they were the accounts they used personally. Well, there were many factors, also the spread of the smartphones across the population (as opposed to all Internet things being handled on computers in the past). Also the fact that this wasn't like Facebook Page against Facebook accounts, but they were like all the same, artists or public. Well, Twitter is that way too, but yeah, I definitely think IG had the most impact in how we perceive social media these days, especially in terms of the connection to artists or celebrities. And even in the very beginning we still had some posts on her IG like "here's Britney arriving at the X Factor audition" etc.

And tbh, many artists DO use their official accounts nowadays, but that wasn't always the case, and even if they have access to them, they most likely have a team curating the content, or in charge of all the stuff regarding the promotion, etc. And I suppose they also have their own personal accounts they use to talk to their families and friends, at least like the biggest names. I doubt Beyoncé has her official IG account logged in on her phone, receiving millions of notifications all day, for example. Or the youtube account receiving a notification for every comment, like, etc.

Also off topic, but speaking of being ahead of its time, the Bionic album... jk no, the Famos surprise, well, not the surprise, but the whole project of what Famos was supposed to be, THAT was really ahead of its time. This was before we had all those ads and paid promotion we now have on Facebook, IG, etc, and the idea was basically to pay the fans for spreading the word about what the artists were doing. So if the fans shared that they were attending a concert, or sharing a song, a video, etc, that was gonna be considered promotion for the artists, and fans were supposed to receive a payment for that, obviously I suppose it would be very small, or depending on how much people it reached, or how much engagement (i.e how many people bought tickets by clicking on the link that a given person shared).

• Love 2
  • Like 1