This Day in Pop: Britney Spears and Joey McIntyre in Concert airs on Disney Channel in 1999 (October 16)

this-day-in-pop.png

On October 16, 1999, the Britney Spears and Joey McIntyre special concert aired on Disney Channel.  The concert was recorded on August 23 at in front of the Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith attraction at the Disney MGM Studios.

From Orlando Sentinel:

Singer Joey McIntyre hits right notes with his snappy answers

Pop princess Britney Spears was a crowd-pleaser at Disney World on Monday, but it was her Disney Channel concert special co-star Joey McIntyre who proved himself "The Boy Band Retread Most Likely to Snappy Banter his Way into Landing a Talk Show and/or Disney/WB Sitcom."

Here's how the pop stars responded to questions at the news conference and a question-and-answer session with park guests before the show, which will air Oct. 16.

When are you going to record again?

Britney: "After this tour ends in five weeks."

McIntyre: "I'm going to take another five years off when I'm done with this album."

If you could only take one thing to the moon, what would it be?

Britney: "Oh, Lordy. Food - a lot of food. Cookie-dough ice cream and music, so I wouldn't get bored."

McIntyre: "It's like the desert island thing ... but different. Some Prozac because I'd be going out of my mind."

Do you have a boyfriend or girl- friend?

Britney: "I'm single. I really don't want someone to miss - I'm so busy."

McIntyre: "I don't have a boyfriend. ... At the moment I don't have a girl- friend - but don't tell her."

If you could be someone else for a day, who would you be?

Britney: "Marilyn Monroe - just to experience what she went through with her life."

McIntyre: "I know there there are a lot of guys out there, but if I could sing like Celine Dion for one day, I'd rock it."

Shortly after having to explain graciously to a reporter that he was not Fellow New Kid'er Turned Solo Artist Jordan Knight, McIntyre was asked what the other New Kids on the Block were up to. His response?

"Who cares? Donnie [Wahlberg] is like in the No. 1 movie in the country [The Sixth Sense). He lost like 30 pounds for the part. I have a place in New York - he was staying there and he was so emaciated I felt sorry for him. Danny [Wood) is in Miami working on music and has like four kids - he's a Mr. Mom. And John [Knight) is building houses - he's a tycoon."

Britney addressed the persistent rumors that she is dating 'N Sync's Justin Timberlake.

"No, I'm not. I wish I were. I think he's a cutie."

Of the upcoming three Dawson's Creek episodes she's going to tape:

"I think I'm supposed to be a dork - I think Katie Holmes is going to make me over."

ee59e4741a8e946876870180ffe3319b.jpg

s-l1600-1649-600x833.jpg

6528b83fd3771d7a89724d9ad62441b5.jpg

• Love 3

OHMYGOD I watched this on Disney Channel sooo many times when I was a preteen - I was obsessed! She looked absolutely beautiful (esp that late 90s purple eyeshadow look) & I think that shade of blonde suits her best more than any other shade of blonde.

I am truly blessed to have had Britney’s debut teeny bopper years as an influence in my preteen/formative years - those who missed out on this missed one of the greatest gifts of all :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:

1999ney will always have a very special place in my heart :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming:

14 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Of the upcoming three Dawson's Creek episodes she's going to tape:

"I think I'm supposed to be a dork - I think Katie Holmes is going to make me over."

I will FOREVER be bitter she wasn’t on Dawson’s Creek! She kept on talking about it :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:

• Love 4
12 hours ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Love it, 1999ney never fails to put a smile on my face. Takes me right back to my childhood and the days of innocence. 

1999ney will always have an extremely special place in my heart - one of my top favorite eras. 

Remember Jessica Simpson’s Disney Channel concert? Loved that, too!

Is this video the closest thing we have to an HD concert recording of the BOMT tour? 

Remains a mystery to me how not a single professional recording exists of that tour (supporting the worldwide #1 song / #1 album).

That black audio belt is such a clear giveaway that it's 1999 Britney  :britoverit_britney_eyeroll_roll_eyes_annoyed_whatever:  ... I love it!