Which mainstream artists are on their way to becoming a flop?

31 minutes ago, gapeach704 said:

Ed's new music is clearly a product of payola.Β  Everyone I know hates his new music.Β  I used to love Ed, but the new music is a fried piece of sh****t

Well that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. But number are numbers and even if they are bought, this is still the main criterion to determine if a song is a flop or not.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, LaLisaManoban said:

Well that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. But number are numbers and even if they are bought, this is still the main criterion to determine if a song is a flop or not.

I'm not calling him a flop, but I do think Ed will be one of the mainstream flops in the next few years lol.Β  In my opinion. Unless he collaborates with BTS...then he'll be set for life lol

Well, everyone ends upΒ  flopping sooner or later. You end up being less relevant sooner or later, but I don'tΒ  think this is flopping. There are incredibly transcendent artists that can't have a number one song anymore.Β 

In my opinion, a true flop is someone who rises to prominence all of a sudden but can't remain there for more than one era. So, from that perspective, I quite frankly don't see Olivia Rodrigo replicating the success she had with Driver's License. None of her folowing songs have been able to even come close.Β 

• Love 1

Obviously, Nicki. I love some Minaj, but her personality is just garbage. I can already imagine her throwing another tantrum and diss tracks to Doja, Megan and Cardi since her future releases are gonna tank.Β 

Expect another album where she plays the victim and position herself as another female patriot against bully, where she's the biggest bully in the industry.Β :sponge_spongebob_sarcastic_meme_sarcasm:

Spoiler

Onika, I am not expecting for any apologies, but fβ€”ing redeem yourself morally.Β :jackk_alien:

Β 

• Love 1
  • Like 5
  • Super Mods
16 hours ago, gapeach704 said:
  • Ed Sheeran
  • Camila Cabello
  • LaShawna Mendes
  • Nicki Minaj
  • Selena Gomez
  • Demi Lovato and their alien friends
  • Justin Timberlake
  • Justin Bieber
  • Lizzo
  • Miley Cyrus
  • Lil Nas X (the jury is still out....but I give him maybe 3-4 more years)
  • Megan Thee Stallion

Nah Miley and Selena still doing great sales and chart wise :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

the rest I agree with

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, BUWYGF said:

Nah Miley and Selena still doing great sales and chart wise :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

the rest I agree with

Plastic Hearts hasn't even gone gold yet.Β  None of the singles hit the top 10.Β  I'd say it's clear Miley is losing her steam.Β  She'll always be relevant and culturally visible, but chart wise her star is fading.Β  The last album was a flop too.

And Selena's album underperformed too. I love Selena but it's clear she's taking the route of pursuing other endeavors (tv, film, producing) because her music relevancy is fading.

• Like 1

Cardi B. I don't care how much a label pushes an artist, she is one dimensional and not very talented. Label backing and charisma can only take you so far, eventually you'll need to start actually growing and changing as an artist which I think is out of Cardi's range. Megan will definitely overtake her and last longer.Β 

Lizzo is another.

I think anyone saying Billie Eilish is wrong. She isn't my thing (I hate the ASMR minimalist vibes to her music) but there's no denying the talent her and her brother have so I see it lasting a while.

I honestly don't even know who a lot of the people mentioned in this thread are (or at least I have never listened to their music) so that's all I can contribute ha

• Love 2

Demi, Nicki and Halsey if only cause they're toxic people who are wasting their talents by being toxic people and saying and doing stupid things and sticking their noses in drama that doesn't concern them. If they stopped with the toxicity and focused on the music then maybe they'll last, but I think at this point the internet has turned on them. (maybe you could add Cardi B and Lizzo to this list, but Lizzo's personality isn't as toxic IMO [she could get there IMO, but she isn't there right now])

• Like 1
  • Super Mods
3 hours ago, gapeach704 said:

Plastic Hearts hasn't even gone gold yet.Β  None of the singles hit the top 10.Β  I'd say it's clear Miley is losing her steam.Β  She'll always be relevant and culturally visible, but chart wise her star is fading.Β  The last album was a flop too.

And Selena's album underperformed too. I love Selena but it's clear she's taking the route of pursuing other endeavors (tv, film, producing) because her music relevancy is fading.

I think Miley is simply doing her own thing, she stopped giving af about charts.

Selena, on the other hand, is simply not trying anymore. I love her music but it's evident she's not giving her 100%, merely 50% :unbothered_apple_chew_bite_hair_eat_chomp_red:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, BUWYGF said:

I think Miley is simply doing her own thing, she stopped giving af about charts.

Selena, on the other hand, is simply not trying anymore. I love her music but it's evident she's not giving her 100%, merely 50% :unbothered_apple_chew_bite_hair_eat_chomp_red:

I think Selena is giving...15% at this juncture.Β  After that tragic AMA performance, she didn't even try to promote the last album. Poor thing.Β  I enjoy her music though

• Love 1
  • Like 3
On 10/14/2021 at 4:07 PM, Martini said:

I have some opinions so if you can't handle that then MOVE ALONGΒ wendy-williams-wendy-williams-side-eyes.

Β 

Billie Eilish - delusional emo lil girl her shtick is getting real tired

Doja CatΒ 

Halsey

Β 

agreed with the Billie Eilish comment... her voice and intro to her new song literally make my ears bleed, that "happier than ever" songΒ :ugh_britney_disgust_gross_ew:

her attitude recently has been annoying af too, you're right she's definitely delusional... I'm also sick of seeing her at awards shows sitting with her creepy brother, looking unimpressed and pulling faces like their Jay Z and Beyonce or somethingΒ :madonna_weird_alien_cuckoo_nuts:

Β 

ocean eyes remains unbothered though.... love that song

Β :wontcry_tears_crying_sad:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I can only think of Billie, a lot of people are tired of her sound.

Gaga is ok by now, but it really upsets me that since TFM/BTW she didnt have a really good album. I have the impression that (except for ASIB) the only ones who listen to her are her large fanbase.

Edit: Yes, Nicki too. Each year her image get worse

On 10/14/2021 at 2:27 PM, gapeach704 said:

I'm not calling him a flop, but I do think Ed will be one of the mainstream flops in the next few years lol.Β  In my opinion. Unless he collaborates with BTS...then he'll be set for life lol

I feel like BTS is everywhere but nowhere at the same time and it confuses meΒ :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

• Haha 7
  • Like 1
On 10/14/2021 at 7:34 AM, Jordan Miller said:

It's weird how the GP LOVES an artist for an era then want nothing to do with them afterward.Β 

I think it has to do with who are the main consumers now.

I remember when I was a kid, it was "the grown ups" who decided what was popular or not. Of course also teenagers, but a lot of adults I knew were into music, they had all these millions of CD's to play in their car, etc. But as time went by and with the digital era, it's like the majority of the adults just don't consume music anymore, at least not in a way that affects the charts, but teenagers and kids do.

For example, in Latin America we still have many acts from the 90's and 80's selling stadiums these days, but you see those artists streaming numbers, and they're nowhere to be found, they don't figure in any chart and they're lucky if any of their videos surpasses the 10M views mark. So what are all those people that attend the concerts doing? Certainly not streaming their artists on digital platforms.

So going back to your comment, it's a weird combination of the fact that people, or the vast majority, for some unknown reason stop consuming music in a way that actually influences the charts when they reach a certain age (20's, 30's, idk) and the new generation of kids/teenagers that get a phone, a tablet, etc, and start consuming music on their own, and that they don't want anything to do with those artists that maybe their older siblings liked, or even their parents.Β 

It's either that adults have less time to be streaming their fave song all day, or that the tastes in music become more specific, more restricted to maybe just a few songs, or in my case for example I spend most of my time listening to old music, but I suppose everyone that does the same, listens to different stuff, so we don't even coordinate enough to make the old stuff chart or something. Also many may not stick to what they liked when they were teenagers and move on to something else.

Β 

So yeah, I think it's in some way expected that from now on, we'll get these batches of new artists that become the "hottest" thing overnight, last a few years, and then they're gonna be replacedΒ  by a new batch of artists, and so on every few years.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Γ—
Γ—

We noticed you're using an ad blocker Β :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated πŸ’œΒ Β 

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. πŸ™

I've disabled ad block