MDNA and Lotus should've been released in 2011

2 hours ago, michael1814 said:

Had Christina released the explicit version as well it would have pushed digital sales but first week by probably 50%, had she performed it in The Voice on release week it would have pushed it as well… it not being performed was a nightmare.

it was the hit she let flop due to no effect.

She recorded a perfomance for The Voice but wasn't aired for some reason.

412194fed13cb493bab74bb26d4c5078.jpg

Well the reason your body wasn’t as big as it should’ve been was because there was NO PROMOTION for it! 

I think lotus is an ok album. It has the commercial singles on it (your body, let there be love, just a fool, blank page) the rest is album filler. The album could’ve been bigger though if she had released those singles and done PROPER PROMOTION!! 

mdna is sorta similar there isn’t many single worthy songs on there. I think she should’ve done **** **** as a single and done a short video (thriller film) like the tour performance. 

I enjoyed both albums for what they are but Lotus got real dated real fast. At the time, I had a friend who stanned Xtina hard to the point that made me not enjoy Lotus. I like the deep cut Best of Me. Red Hot Kinda Love and Make the World Go Round were fun tracks too, that I would occasionally play these days.

As for MDNA, it was too varied for its own good. Madonna is known to put out cohesive albums but this was not one of them and it received backlash, deservingly so. That’s not not say, it wasn’t without it gems. To name a few, I’m Addicted, Best Friend and I Don’t Give A (which I think is the best collab Nicki ever done to this day. 

1 minute ago, LaLisaManoban said:

You have that feeling because they didn't bring anything new to music. Both albums were just following the trends set up in 2011.

However, I enjoyed listening to Lotus. MDNA... well, the only comment I will say is that **** **** should have been released in Rebel Heart, cause it's the only good song of off MDNA.

oh **** I got censored!! i meant G A N G    B A N G! 

1 hour ago, LaLisaManoban said:

You have that feeling because they didn't bring anything new to music. Both albums were just following the trends set up in 2011.

However, I enjoyed listening to Lotus. MDNA... well, the only comment I will say is that **** **** should have been released in Rebel Heart, cause it's the only good song of off MDNA.

I know, that's why I think they would just be more appreciated in 2011 when everyone else was doing the same. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: I'm not saying the albums would get more praised or would be more successful, but just like, in the appreciation of the general public, or like, everyone in general, they would've just made more sense if they came a year earlier, because by 2012 the music scene was just different. 

Like where was Madonna in 2011? What was she doing? (For real, I have no idea)

Xtina I suppose was taking a break from Burlesque or I don't remember if she was already on The Voice, but it's like, more than this being about Lotus or MDNA themselves, is the fact that every major pop girl was releasing music in 2011, so where were Madonna and Christina? :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack: But I do believe that at least the singles from those albums would've done better in 2011 than they did in 2012. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I know, that's why I think they would just be more appreciated in 2011 when everyone else was doing the same. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: I'm not saying the albums would get more praised or would be more successful, but just like, in the appreciation of the general public, or like, everyone in general, they would've just made more sense if they came a year earlier, because by 2012 the music scene was just different. 

Like where was Madonna in 2011? What was she doing? (For real, I have no idea)

Xtina I suppose was taking a break from Burlesque or I don't remember if she was already on The Voice, but it's like, more than this being about Lotus or MDNA themselves, is the fact that every major pop girl was releasing music in 2011, so where were Madonna and Christina? :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack: But I do believe that at least the singles from those albums would've done better in 2011 than they did in 2012. 

Madonna was working on MDNA and just waiting for her  2012 superbowl haltime to get promotion for MDNA.

Christina was already on The Voice.

I think record labels have a LOT of say in what gets released when. I agree that both should have come out sooner, late-2010 early 2011, but they probably didn't want to compete with Lady Gaga and Katy Perry's (or even Kesha's) momentum. I just listened to MDNA in full on my bike ride last week and I still think it's a fun, cohesive ride. Can't say the same about Lotus

Sadly, even great artists like these two MEGA superstars end up following trends, thereby ending up "late" to the game. But I don't think that makes it bad. I would argue the same thing for Hard Candy. Had that been released in 2006 (or early 2007), it would have sonically fit with how big Timbaland was at that time.

In a way, it's like they are still part of a wider time capsule (i.e. 2006-2008 urban vibes vs. 2009-2012 EDM/"MDMA" vibes ;)). Madonna and Xtina just happened to be at the tale-end both times.

On 10/13/2021 at 11:02 AM, I Always Sing Live said:

Kinda weird how so many pop girlies released their worst work in 2012/2013. Basic Jingles, MDNA, Stars Dance, Lotus, etc. The only notable thing about those two years was Lana's and Lorde's debuts.

Funny how you say this. I believe that electropop boom of 2009-14 were overall just horrible years for pop music and contained some of the most uninspired and generic music, despite so many people pretending to believe that “iT wAs tHe PeAk Of PoP mUsIc!1!1!” when it’s really just nostalgia kicking in. Sonically, it was a great era for alternative, hip-hop, EDM and indie music but a lowlight in pop. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Funny how you say this. I believe that electropop boom of 2009-14 were overall just horrible years for pop music and contained some of the most uninspired and generic music, despite so many people pretending to believe that “iT wAs tHe PeAk Of PoP mUsIc!1!1!” when it’s really just nostalgia kicking in. Sonically, it was a great era for alternative, hip-hop, EDM and indie music but a lowlight in pop. 

I think it was decent when it came to the charts, singles, and radio, though a lot of it was still quite tacky when looking back on it. As for pop albums, yeah, not many of them have aged well.

Now that I think about it, it's true... and 2012 was the beginning of the watered-down, moody, almost unfinished sounds in mainstream.

Lotus is an acceptable, close to average record in my opinion. MDNA is a mess, I believe. But both 'Your Body' and 'Girl Gone Bad' probably had better chances at succeeding in the musical landscape of 2011. Too bad people didn't pay attention because both are absolute bangers.

Xtina couldn't release Lotus in 2011 (but lyrics leaked in 2011 so it is a very 2011 song) - already in 2010 she released two albums (Bionic & Burlesque), so for her it wasn't a right time.

Your Body with promotion could be a hit, but she didn't care. She made it because her label wanted a pop driven material after her massive flop. She did it and escape xD The same story with Just A Fool - zero promo and they sold 800.000 of the single without a video. Another hit that she didn't care about xD

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block