The untold story of how Britney wrote "Everytime" with her background singer

3 hours ago, RedBloodedWoman said:

You’re reading it incorrectly. Annette’s publishing is through ASCAP, Britney’s is through BMI on this song... hence “ASCAP controlled”..the other 17.5% is the publisher who’s also through ASCAP.

I was going to say this too. 50% of registering a song is for writing and 50% is publishing. I am sure Britney has her own publishing and gets a portion of that pie too. 

• Like 4
14 hours ago, arama said:

Guys, Britney isn't perfect. I don't know why you're all so quick to disbelieve Annette.

because this is like Annette's third version of what went down and this one sounds really bitter and shady and there's not a whole lot of evidence to back up her words. ...Especially because she was credited since the very beginning.

Annette's first version of the story was about how Britney sat down in the piano in Germany and started playing the notes and the lyrics started coming too. Annette helped her out in smoothing out a few lyrical parts, but she credited most of the creation to Britney

Annette's second version was now how Britney attached herself to her, as if she was desperate for a friend, and Annette thought Britney was a lost and clueless girl.

• Love 7
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Applejack said:

because this is like Annette's third version of what went down and this one sounds really bitter and shady and there's not a whole lot of evidence to back up her words. ...Especially because she was credited since the very beginning.

Annette's first version of the story was about how Britney sat down in the piano in Germany and started playing the notes and the lyrics started coming too. Annette helped her out in smoothing out a few lyrical parts, but she credited most of the creation to Britney

Annette's second version was now how Britney attached herself to her, as if she was desperate for a friend, and Annette thought Britney was a lost and clueless girl.

Yikes, OK. That changes things - a shifting story is tricky.

Either way, I don't think these two were meant to be friends forever.

It is easy to go out and say this about a person who hasn’t been seen since 2019. According to Sam she is the most free human on the planet, yet it is still “insiders” who keep spinning narratives instead of HER. We see old Con employees having dinner with Rosengod, not Britney. Where is she? Seems like this shady girl thinks it is the safest time ever to start claiming Britney’s iconic song. 
sign language bullshit GIF

• Like 1

Such crap. Just like when she  lied to her management company by pretending to be 26 years old when she was really 35. Then got mad and sued them because they said she was a racist, lazy, bimbo of a liar who desperately called up radio stations asking who she had to sleep with to get her songs played. :rlynow_britney_really_clasped_um_ok_seriously:

https://nypost.com/2011/11/17/queens-singer-sues-management-firm-for-portraying-her-as-a-lazy-bimbo/

• Like 4

This reminded of something I read long time ago. There was a producer or songwriter who said that Britney didn’t steal something she didn’t own, referring to songwriting credits. I can’t find the article but found something similar. 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/472188/songwriter-defends-britney-spears-for-not-demanding-co-writing-credits

"I would just like to address one thing! The media is talking trash about how Britney didn't write any of the songs on her album … HELLO! Wake up everybody! NONE OF THESE ARTISTS WRITE THEIR OWN SONGS!!!!!! (there are a few exceptions … lady gaga, will.i.am/BEP, chris brown is starting to write a lot of his own stuff … ummmm … and now I'm running out of artists). Anyway … here's my thing … and I feel VERY passionate about this issue. Britney could have come to me, like all these other A-list artists, and said …

ARTISTS MENTIONED

"Hey, you wanna be on my album? I'm gonna need writing credit for that song AND part of your publishing even though I didn't write anything! And then I'm gonna go on tour and gross $150 million in ticket sales and not give you any of that, even though I'm performing your song!"

"I could rattle off a laundry list of artists who I've had that conversation with! And I'm on the other end like … "Oh okay … so you wanna r*** me, but just with the tip?!" *Prince side eye* Britney's one of the few artists I've worked with who didn't try to take something that wasn't hers. In my experience, from a business standpoint, her entire team is nothing less than a bonafide class act!"

• Like 3
15 hours ago, arama said:

Pointless.

17% or 50%, she still has a songwriting credit and contributed to the song. End of.

What is pointless is Annet Artani's meritless interview.

14 hours ago, NotBuyingIt said:

I don't know too much about the technical terms, but from what I understand that doesn't mean Britney wrote exactly 65% of the song - that'd be impossible to confirm.

I understand they each have their own side of the story - but the song definitely included input from both. Perhaps Annet did start a piano session one day with Britney at her side, and perhaps Britney felt super connected to the energy, added in her own work (maybe Britney’s own riffs that were already in progress as well as new lyrics and melodies that were being inspired by the session with Annet), and didn't necessarily feel like Annet was leading as much as she was. Who knows.

No idea, but I think there's a mixture of truth and incorrect perceptions from both Britney and Annet. I love B and don’t judge her either way. Honestly, if I were a musician I bet the same thing would happen to me one day. Songwriting is personal and feeling connected to something you helped create must be an incredibly proud achievement.

I also believe in B’e talent and know that she isn’t a copycat psychopath - this clearly has nothing to do with that.

Again-and this is very simple- what we know is that we have evidence Britney Spears composed the initial riff of the hit song 'Everytime'...

"At the time, Britney had started to play the piano a bit, and she could certainly play well enough to spell out the root chords. She’d show me what she had, and I would say, “Well, here’s how we could fill this out.”-Guy Sigsworth

https://consequence.net/2017/09/from-bjork-to-britney-songwriter-and-producer-guy-sigsworth-on-being-a-kindred-spirit-in-the-studio/6/

And that we have evidence Britney can write more than one melody or riff on a musical instrument, unlike Annet Artani...

(1:50)

On 10/9/2021 at 11:33 AM, G-unit said:

That is sad.  I wonder what she said to her that was threatening.  It’s so out of character for Britney to not want to give someone credit for song-writing…especially considering she isn’t an artist who absolutely HAS to write all of her own music and, up until that time, she hadn’t written much of her own music.  I’m curious about that conversation or why they wouldn’t want to credit this woman.  Maybe because the song was a response to CMAR and they thought it would look more personal if Britney was the sole writer?

Maybe Britney has her reasons . Maybe Britney came up with pretty much all of it and invited a friend in on her song . Maybe the friend felt like wow . Shes showing me this beautiful song . Then maybe said what about change this word or what about this .. The started to brag and say I helped , I helped . I deserve money and credit . We know nothing . She got her credit . Yet maybe it was not much involvement. She sounded like a poor me little brat . I would honestly like to know details . Then she mentions talking to Britney . Yet will not say what was said . Another BS reply. You go so far to say your sob story . Have the credit . Yet spill almost all but not the crucial points. Britney never speaks up . You do get your credit . Maybe Britney is sick of phony friends . Shes had phonies her entire life . We know one side . And good on a Britney for not being a doormat

• Love 1
On 10/10/2021 at 5:49 PM, RedBloodedWoman said:

Imagine calling another user (on a ******* Britney Spears fansite)“obsessed” when your username is literally “BritneyIsMyPlanet“...get off of Annet’s **** & the **** outta my mentions. We don’t know **** about Annet, but we DO know that Britney has never cared about taking credit for something she never wrote... several writers can vouch for that. You also obviously don’t know much about Britney, because she wrote & composed “Someday” BY HERSELF ON THE PIANO & even played piano on the final mix of track... she plays on “Like I’m Fallin” too, stop trying to **** on Brit & her artistic abilities. Ignored.

You are ******* crazy and need mental health evaluation. That’s all I’m gonna say to this rude and unstable reply along with **** YOU! 

I don't believe Annette.

As many have already noted, she changed her story a bit too often. Also Michelle Bell said that Britney was hesitant about singing "Everytime" to her record label. And this contradicts Annette's story where Brit's behavior was the opposite of the hesitant.

+ it feels like Artani has omitted most of the story that could make Annette herself look bad. I mean, she wanted a solo career, but when, according to her, Britney practically offered it to her by wanting to make her an opening act, Annette began to make excuses ("And she was saying stuff like, 'Oh, my God, we should tour together. You could open up my tour,' and like I'm 24 years old, and you're saying this to me? I kept thinking, 'Holy crap, this is nuts.'") and say that she did not want to become like the ones who uses Britney, but at the same time she practically lived in Brit's house and traveled to fancy places at B's expense... :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

• Like 3
14 hours ago, zxcvb said:

What is pointless is Annet Artani's meritless interview.

Again-and this is very simple- what we know is that we have evidence Britney Spears composed the initial riff of the hit song 'Everytime'...

"At the time, Britney had started to play the piano a bit, and she could certainly play well enough to spell out the root chords. She’d show me what she had, and I would say, “Well, here’s how we could fill this out.”-Guy Sigsworth

https://consequence.net/2017/09/from-bjork-to-britney-songwriter-and-producer-guy-sigsworth-on-being-a-kindred-spirit-in-the-studio/6/

And that we have evidence Britney can write more than one melody or riff on a musical instrument, unlike Annet Artani...

(1:50)

I’m not trying to make you repeat yourself and show the same content we’ve previously analyzed. I promise I understood what you were trying to articulate! If we don’t agree, then we don’t agree. That’s honestly OK with me (I mean this with sincerity).

What I will continue to stand by is that we can’t prove anything from a quote (from someone who wasn’t in the room when the riff was initially created, plus who says he helped Britney fill the tune in), or videos of Britney playing the piano after Everytime was created. Unless there’s a literal video documenting Britney coming up with the Everytime riff the very second it happened, or a video of Annette (this goes both ways!), we don’t know.

Anyone can say anything - even Annette. I know Britney is fully capable of playing some nice piano tunes and coming up with beautiful riffs. I have no idea how much of the song - the riff as well as the other pieces - was jointly created with Annette or at the very least inspired by the piano session they shared. I’m not saying Britney isn’t talented or creative. I’m not saying she’s a copycat. I just don’t know and it IS interesting that Annette ultimately got some credit.

And I need to emphasize that I don’t even care that much about an initial riff. It doesn’t mean someone wrote an entire song. Maybe B did create that riff but Annette helped create lots of other pieces of that song. Or perhaps Annette helped inspire the riff. I can’t debate about something I don’t know. It’s pointless.

What I find more damning for Annette is that her story has apparently changed quite a bit. THAT makes me suspicious of her claims and is far more compelling.

https://news.yahoo.com/untold-story-britney-spears-wrote-140000177.html

yikes.. I wonder what happened, poor girl

Artani eventually got Spears on the phone to talk about what happened, but the background singer said the conversation - that she's "not going to repeat" - was so bad she "was literally bawling on the phone." She added that Spears felt like a person she didn't "know or recognize."

"I didn't ever really want to believe that she would not want to give me credit for cowriting the song," Artani said during our most recent call. "I didn't believe that that's who she was - at all."

Artani said she told Spears that she didn't care about the money, something she reiterated to her manager. After that, the background singer let the managers and executives sort out the crediting.

"In the end, they gave me my credit," she said.

Reps for Spears didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Throughout our conversations, Artani repeatedly said she had no desire to "trash" Spears and mused about the various reasons that her onetime friend had such a change in attitude when it came to the song's official release on her album.

"To be clear, even after all these years, after all of that, I don't believe in my heart of hearts that it came from her," Artani said. "Even though the words were coming out of her mouth that were threatening, I don't believe ... because I saw her be really manipulated by so many people."