The untold story of how Britney wrote "Everytime" with her background singer

17 minutes ago, NotBuyingIt said:

Those lyrics weren't from when Britney and Annet wrote the song - it was part of a charity auction. She also wrote the lyrics to other songs like Baby and Slave.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/71274934_britney-spears-handwritten-lyrics-to-baby-one-more

Ahhh thank you!  I didn't know that!  Why on earth did it sell for so much?! :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

Also - are the lyrics really then "you seem to move uneasy?"  I always thought this was probably an early version and that it was changed to "move on easy."

I am a flop fan :clownery_makeup_meme:

44 minutes ago, zxcvb said:

The fact that youtube has been widely consumed for the last 15 years and (other social media for at least a decade) and there is still no evidence Annet Artani can write more than one riff or melody on a musical instrument on her own (unlike Britney Spears) speaks for itself.

She couldn't write the K-pop hit "Nothing Lasts Forever" on her own and it doesn't look like she has a solo writing credit on any of the singles she's ever released either.

So I'm not sure there if there is a back-and-forth on this or if there is even two sides to the story at all.

Those are only published credits. We have no idea how many songs Annette has or hasn't written by herself. The vast majority of Britney's songwriting credits are also co-writing credits by the way. Using Annette's lack of songwriting credits post-Everytime doesn't prove anything.

You know what is proof though? The 50/50 co-writing credit she shares with Britney.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, NotBuyingIt said:

It doesn't mean she completely wrote Everytime by herself. Honestly, the fact that Britney says she simply sat down at her piano - implying she was alone - and doesn't know how the song came to her but it just did is sketchy. We know at the very least she wasn't completely by herself while this song was in the process of being composed. At some point, her backup singer turned live-in BFFL jumped in - to the point of earning credit, despite everyone being against it. Their relationship was destroyed and they were never friends again, but she got that credit.

How much did Anett write? I have no idea.

We already know Britney didn't compose the entire song, as Guy Sigsworth has previously attested:

"At the time, Britney had started to play the piano a bit, and she could certainly play well enough to spell out the root chords. She’d show me what she had, and I would say, “Well, here’s how we could fill this out.”

https://consequence.net/2017/09/from-bjork-to-britney-songwriter-and-producer-guy-sigsworth-on-being-a-kindred-spirit-in-the-studio/5/

What we do know is that Britney composed the initial riff of the song...

15 minutes ago, arama said:

Those are only published credits. We have no idea how many songs Annette has or hasn't written by herself. The vast majority of Britney's songwriting credits are also co-writing credits by the way. Using Annette's lack of songwriting credits post-Everytime doesn't prove anything.

Yeah, and we also have no idea how many songs Britney "has or hasn't written by herself".

22 minutes ago, arama said:

You know what is proof though? The 50/50 co-writing credit she shares with Britney.

We have proof that Britney Spears composed the initial riff of the hit single 'Everytime', as well as proof Britney Spears can write more than one melody or riff on a musical instrument, unlike Annet Artani.

• Love 4
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, zxcvb said:

We already know Britney didn't compose the entire song, as Guy Sigsworth has previously attested:

"At the time, Britney had started to play the piano a bit, and she could certainly play well enough to spell out the root chords. She’d show me what she had, and I would say, “Well, here’s how we could fill this out.”

https://consequence.net/2017/09/from-bjork-to-britney-songwriter-and-producer-guy-sigsworth-on-being-a-kindred-spirit-in-the-studio/5/

Yeah, and we also have no idea how many songs Britney "has or hasn't written by herself".

We have proof that Britney Spears composed the initial riff of the hit single 'Everytime', as well as proof Britney Spears can write more than one melody or riff on a musical instrument, unlike Annet Artani.

I don’t see that as proof that Britney herself - all on her own, without any assistance - wrote the initial riff as it appears on the finalized song. Annet could’ve been there. Or she could’ve later helped enhance it. We don’t know.

Maybe Britney DID write the initial riff. It still ended up being fused with material Annet claims she started during a piano session.

Bottom line: we know Annet claims to have initiated a piano session where she shared some lines and melodies. Britney implies she was by herself. Either way, they both got credit.

I think they both have their own side to this and both likely are wrong in ways.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, arama said:

Delusional, do your research before spewing bull****- Annette only has 17.5% songwriting credit:clownery_makeup_meme:

17-EB9827-54-B2-41-FD-B848-7-F37-EC45-AF

• Love 3
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, NotBuyingIt said:

It looks like they both share 17.5%, for the combined total of 35%? I may be reading this incorrectly.

You’re reading it incorrectly. Annette’s publishing is through ASCAP, Britney’s is through BMI on this song... hence “ASCAP controlled”..the other 17.5% is the publisher who’s also through ASCAP.

• Love 3
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hollow said:

I'm a songwriter and I can tell you: some of these artists believe they did more than they actually did. 

Me too! It’s very common for producers to take a song you’ve written completely on your own & intentionally tweak it just to steal pieces of your publishing. Some people even get credit just for being in the room when the song was written/produced it’s disgusting.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, RedBloodedWoman said:

You’re reading it incorrectly. Annette’s publishing is through ASCAP, Britney’s is through BMI on this song... hence “ASCAP controlled”..the other 17.5% is the publisher who’s also through ASCAP.

What is Britney’s percentage? Did another publisher at BMI get any?

1 hour ago, zxcvb said:

Pointless.

48 minutes ago, RedBloodedWoman said:

Delusional, do your research before spewing bull****- Annette only has 17.5% songwriting credit:clownery_makeup_meme:

17-EB9827-54-B2-41-FD-B848-7-F37-EC45-AF

17% or 50%, she still has a songwriting credit and contributed to the song. End of.

2 hours ago, RedBloodedWoman said:

Britney Spears Music is her publishing company via BMI. She controls 65% of the song. Publishing & songwriting splits are two completely separate things

I don't know too much about the technical terms, but from what I understand that doesn't mean Britney wrote exactly 65% of the song - that'd be impossible to confirm.

I understand they each have their own side of the story - but the song definitely included input from both. Perhaps Annet did start a piano session one day with Britney at her side, and perhaps Britney felt super connected to the energy, added in her own work (maybe Britney’s own riffs that were already in progress as well as new lyrics and melodies that were being inspired by the session with Annet), and didn't necessarily feel like Annet was leading as much as she was. Who knows.

No idea, but I think there's a mixture of truth and incorrect perceptions from both Britney and Annet. I love B and don’t judge her either way. Honestly, if I were a musician I bet the same thing would happen to me one day. Songwriting is personal and feeling connected to something you helped create must be an incredibly proud achievement.

I also believe in B’e talent and know that she isn’t a copycat psychopath - this clearly has nothing to do with that.

• Like 1
On 10/9/2021 at 3:57 PM, Isla said:

You know for years I wrongly assumed Britney solely wrote this song and it was only in the last few years that I realised she co-wrote the song with Annet. All writing credits I've found for the song have Annet listed as a co-writer.

I don't want to believe Britney herself would remove Annet from the credits, that doesn't seem like something she would do. Remember Britney herself has often not taken credit for other things she has written.

It does sound like maybe someone in Britney's management/team/someone at Jive may have 'manipulated' her into removing Annet's credit so it can appear Britney wrote the entire thing herself and to make it more 'personal'.

I think that saying "she was manipulated" follows the same narrative of the conservatorship, that she is susceptible to influence, that she is weak and that she cannot do what she wants. I perfectly believe that Brit would have fought for full authorship if she considered Annet's contribution to be little or insubstantial.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, oscar0 said:

I think that saying "she was manipulated" follows the same narrative of the conservatorship, that she is susceptible to influence, that she is weak and that she cannot do what she wants. I perfectly believe that Brit would have fought for full authorship if she considered Annet's contribution to be little or insubstantial.

Yeah fair point. But c'mon, we all know how shady Britney's team can be. And unfortunately a lot of us have been easily manipulated in certain situations that we've not had much control over.