24 years ago today, Janet Jackson released her sixth album ‘The Velvet Rope’.

Moscow

You posted this thread 8 hours ago and it flopped harder than the remix. Where are the people who say she’s The Queen Of Pop? :emma: Probably on the same place where are the ones who mutter Lil Kim is The Queen Of Rap! :emma: Bermuda Triangle, yup, there are they! :emma: 

Anyway, I don’t hate on her. I really don’t, I just pointed out some FACTS! HBD tho! :emma:

• Haha 2

Last night, I saw a WatchMojo.com video that listed Janet as the #13 coolest person of the 90’s 🙌🏽 I’m glad the media is circling back around to honoring her contributions to pop culture. 

Ahhh TVR… the first time I heard Janet use the word “ga y” (Free Xone) was so liberating for my 10/11yo self. The icon I Stan sees me! I still get a chill whenever “Twisted Elegance” comes on - I’m instantly transported to my room, with my headphones on, holding the line book in my hands and ready to digest. And boy did I digest!!! This album really shaped my language, as far as finding the most clever and interesting ways to express myself. It’s like the journal I didn’t write but spoke my entire truth. 

My favorite song from this album is “Empty”. I was one of my few peers who had AOL at the time so I instantly connected with that anxiety of waiting on that “friend“ to email or hop onto AIM. “Sometimes you’re there. Sometimes you’re gone.” I used to go into chat rooms to find new people to talk to, just to kill the time. What a world that opened up!

Whew so many memories attached to this album, I can’t even articulate it all. 

• Love 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block