Shakira on the cover of cosmopolitan USA, November edition

• Content Curators

some excerpts from her interview:

As a woman who’s in her 40s now, there comes this madurez (maturity), right? How are you seeing that in yourself?

I’m the type of person who really needs to genuinely believe in what I do or I’d rather pass. I’m proud of having succeeded on my own terms. When I first came out, there wasn’t really an audience for Latin pop or Latin female pop artists. When I was 15, I started to listen to Nirvana and all the alternative Seattle rock and Metallica. I was exposed to different kinds of influences. I didn’t make the music I made just to please a type of audience or to accommodate a specific need of the market. I did what felt honest. On the flip side, when I entered the U.S. market, I wanted to honor my Latin roots. At the Super Bowl, I wanted to introduce champeta, a street dance that belongs to a virtually unknown corner of my country. I’m always trying to be unafraid through my career. I’ve had a great fan base that has been so loyal. Even when I lost my voice. In that darkest hour of my life, I realized how lucky I was. All those people gave me everything I needed to heal. And I healed. Contrary to what the doctors said.

I’m going to go back to your early career. Was working in English always a goal?

First I had to play small gigs in my hometown starting when I was about 10 years old. I would perform at office parties, quinceañeras, bar mitzvahs—every-freaking-where. It took a lot of work to be noticed. I wanted to reach the biggest audience possible. I was that ambitious. I do feel a little ashamed saying it out loud. From an early age, I really wanted the world. I wanted to share my music with as many people as possible. I wanted everyone to listen to me.

Of course. You’re doing all these new things: surfing, skateboarding, studying philosophy. So first, I want to know: Who’s your favorite philosopher?

Socrates, of course. I think asking questions is the most ingenious way to discover the truth—if there is any truth to things. There can be many truths, like two sides of a coin. I often try to apply that to the upbringing of my kids. I’m a tiger mom and a helicopter mom and all these different moms. [Laughs.]

read the full interview below:

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a37636616/shakira-cosmopolitan-cover-november-2021/

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Content Curators
19 minutes ago, jennyj said:

Girl is literally aging backwards... Shaki treat me to some of that fountain of youth :runga_stupid_love_gaga_running_away_bye_pink_chromatica:

She likes to stay out of the sun no smoking limited alcohol sunscreen every day and I think some vitamins on her face I think c? 
she’s been doing that for ages 

also It doesn’t look like she’s had excessive Botox at all 

• Love 1
  • Content Curators
37 minutes ago, MikeHunt said:

Most googled star in America...:wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around:

I just looked it up and it's apparently true. Fascinating! I never hear anything about Shakira until recently about her possible prison time. 

its mainly considering her superbowl was last year

not to mention just how relevant she is in latin communities still with two singles from her last album crossing the billion view mark on yt, and there are many many latin communities in usa 

its funny cause one of her last singles la bicicleta was played constantly all over the radios in miami few summers ago like constantly yet wasnt played once in like lets say where i live in massachusetts 

shows the cultural difference

25 minutes ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

its mainly considering her superbowl was last year

not to mention just how relevant she is in latin communities still with two singles from her last album crossing the billion view mark on yt, and there are many many latin communities in usa 

its funny cause one of her last singles la bicicleta was played constantly all over the radios in miami few summers ago like constantly yet wasnt played once in like lets say where i live in massachusetts 

shows the cultural difference

Thats crazy. I know she gets crazy views on youtube but i guess i live in SoCal and we have a big latino community here and even though the radio stations play spanish songs on mainstream stations, i only hear Shakiras music here and there. I really wasnt aware of her impact. Slay Queen!!!

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block