Spice Girls fans - did you like GEM?

I wanted to like it cuz I stanned the Spice Girls, but I didn't like it. I feel an act can have a signature sound but still modify it to be modernized. Britney's sound has proven this. Madonna, Cher and others have as well. This song sounded too stuck in the 1990's days but not even a hit but more like a filler track. 

They're the ones who put the 'spice' into the Spice Girls. Mel C and Victoria were always the... brown, less colourful members. Love them all though. TBH, whereas I felt Geri's absence in the clips I've watched from the 1998 tours, Victoria wasn't missed at all on their 2019 tour. It shows she's the least essential Spice. Which is ironic as she went on to become by far the most famous.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

I wanted to like it cuz I stanned the Spice Girls, but I didn't like it. I feel an act can have a signature sound but still modify it to be modernized. Britney's sound has proven this. Madonna, Cher and others have as well. This song sounded too stuck in the 1990's days but not even a hit but more like a filler track. 

I feel like these 3 together could have made an awesome album in the 2010s. This song sounds like it was written as an Emma solo song tho. I do miss Mel C and Victoria in the song tho. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, arama said:

They're the ones who put the 'spice' into the Spice Girls. Mel C and Victoria were always the... brown, less colourful members. Love them all though. TBH, whereas I felt Geri's absence in the clips I've watched from the 1998 tours, Victoria wasn't missed at all on their 2019 tour. It shows she's the least essential Spice. Which is ironic as she went on to become by far the most famous.

I love all 5 but I do agree that sonically Victoria is least important but she does have stage presence tbh. 

54 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

They are my 3 fav too but I have to admit Mel B wasted her potential as a solo artist. 

Yeah. I guess her personal life overshadowed her career and all those talent shows she did didn't help. Tbh I think out of all of them, only Geri's career is full of very iconic moments but I've just been a fan for a year :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

56 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

I love all 5 but I do agree that sonically Victoria is least important but she does have stage presence tbh. 

She does, she's a better dancer than Geri but when she wasn't there at the 2019 shows, I didn't miss her at all weirdly. I still prefer having all five spices on the stage.

Do you like their solo music?

Just now, boyinthemirror said:

Yeah. I guess her personal life overshadowed her career and all those talent shows she did didn't help. Tbh I think out of all of them, only Geri's career is full of very iconic moments but I've just been a fan for a year :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

Her Brits 2000 performance. No words  :snarky_katy_merry_go_round_smile_proud_spinning: Geri was so influential in the 1990s. It was her that came up with the idea of them using 'girl power' as their mantra even if she didn't invent it. Their image as a girl-gang, their 'us against the world' mentality, that was all Geri's doing.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, arama said:

Her Brits 2000 performance. No words  :snarky_katy_merry_go_round_smile_proud_spinning: Geri was so influential in the 1990s. It was her that came up with the idea of them using 'girl power' as their mantra even if she didn't invent it. Their image as a girl-gang, their 'us against the world' mentality, that was all Geri's doing.

Didn't she also come up with the "Spice Girls" name? Gosh she's so iconic and elevated the group so much. Now she's all posh and I'm intrigued about why she wears white all the time. Still loooove her tho  :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes:

2 minutes ago, boyinthemirror said:

Didn't she also come up with the "Spice Girls" name? Gosh she's so iconic and elevated the group so much. Now she's all posh and I'm intrigued about why she wears white all the time. Still loooove her tho  :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes:

Yup, that was her. I know, she's all lady of the manor now haha. Total 180 from the past. But still as camp as ever :chershade_red_wig_oh_hair_hmm:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, boyinthemirror said:

I truly think Mel B needed the girls to keep her focus on music - she was too concerned with other things *boys* without the girls. IMO Mel B and Emma are the 2 truest to the group. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, arama said:

She does, she's a better dancer than Geri but when she wasn't there at the 2019 shows, I didn't miss her at all weirdly. I still prefer having all five spices on the stage.

Do you like their solo music?

Yes! I love a lot of their solo music. Mel B has the worst solo music but this song of hers is one of the best solo Spice girls songs. She had so much potential. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block