'Britney Vs Spears' is #1 on Netflix in the US

It was a quite boring, since it basically didn't give us any information that we didn't know already. however, It is good in the way that, it adds more noise to Brit's situation, so more people can be aware about was going on.

I loved the title though, "Britney Vs Spears"  

I cried at the end of the documentary, but because of her, every time I hear her testimony in court, it makes me cry, yo can feel her anger, frustration and sadness. 

sad black and white GIF

• Love 2

Yay!  So happy people are finally hearing this story!  Following the #FreeBritney movement, some of the documentaries may start to feel a bit redundant since they are not just made for the Britney stans of the world, but for casual observers to understand the complexities and horrifying realities of her life under the conservatorship, and to bring exposure to conservatorships overall.

One thing in particular I appreciated about the Netflix documentary (which was also true for Framing Britney Spears) was the extent to which they went out of their way to emphasize Britney's talent, influence, and power pre-conservatorship.  So often throughout her career she's been framed as a "puppet" and just part of a "machine," but it's important that the public understand how involved she was and how she determined the path for her image and career.  Despite what the naysayers say, there would be no Britney without Britney.  If the music industry could just manufacture Britneys (and they've tried!) we'd have hundreds of replicas.  But there has been no one like her since.

Second, I think they did a decent job capturing the enormity of 2007/2008.  Without experiencing the day-to-day updates and paparazzi videos that some of the newer fans may have been too young for, it's hard to understate just how overwhelming it felt for fans (so I cannot even fathom what she was going through on her own).  We saw everything through a very specific media filter that was enthusiastically villainizing Britney and those around her.  Even some long-term fans started to turn their backs - does anyone remember another fan site... I think called tantalize.net or something?  Really big around 2004?  I think it was the first site I actually saw the Toxic video on.  Anyway, I just remember a post from the site owner in mid 2007 that essentially said that they had stuck with her throughout most of the drama, but that year was just too much for them.  Britney was extremely isolated by the toxic media culture around her, and Britney fans felt similarly alone defending a star they loved but who had VERY few defenders in the media at the time (a quick shout-out to those like Craig Ferguson and even Xtina who refused to pile on).

All this to say, it's important to understand how the conservatorship was originally perceived by everyone - even fans.  At first, it felt like one element of stability during what was an extremely chaotic and overwhelming time.  The media led us to believe that this was what was needed and what would save her, and I felt like the Netflix documentary made me remember this.  And until recently, we're only starting to understand just how misrepresented Britney was (and continues to be to some extent) and how effing crazy it is that her father was able to forcibly seize her life, empire, and money with no clear exit from his control.

I'm so very sorry that we weren't able to see or understand her fear and despair and that it's taken over 13 years for her to escape.  While I think the NYTimes docs are more substantive and have played a more important role, I hope the Netflix doc with its vast reach will help everyone to understand how we need to protect not just Britney but anyone under or at risk of a conservatorship to make sure people are having their rights unlawfully and unjustifiably stripped away.  I hope this is the first of many, many happy days for Britney.

• Love 2