Jesy Nelson scores first ever solo Top 5 hit in the UK with "BOYZ" featuring Nicki Minaj

Slayer

Okay here is my whole take on the thing. Yes, people, mostly libtards, are blowing the ‘blackfishing’ thing out of proportion. In this hypersensitive ’cancel-culture’ climate (where people have nothing better to do than to create problems), pop artists unfortunately cannot express themselves the way they used to unless they are willing to give in. Jesy should have known that’s how today’s climate works but then again, I genuinely think she didn’t know or else she probably would have mapped out a different concept.

The song and video is very early 2010s with a dash of early 2000s, particularly due to the Diddy homage. In other words, it’s outdated but also slightly refreshing in a climate when we’re so used to seeing so much minimalism.

The song itself isn’t that bad but the LYRICS are an entire different story and where the problem is imo. From her verses to the chorus to even Nicki’s verse — it’s just tacky. Again, the sampling is great but the lyrics could have been so much better. At least her voice is great on it. It’s very ‘Britney’ / ‘Tinashe’. The video isn’t that bad either and the editing was great. I will say that she could have worked on and rehearsed some of her dancing some more. Some parts of the choreography were so out of unison and just looks bad overall. 

Other than the lyrics, my other big complaint is that I think she’s trying too hard to reach a certain market, particularly the U.S. While the song isn’t bad, I can say that the U.S. general public will most likely not be here for this song and I doubt it will gain any heavy rotation. Hey, maybe I’m or I’ll be wrong. To some, it may also feel very try-hard or that she’s trying to act like something she’s not, hence all the backlash she’s getting.

Regardless, it’s hard to make it in the industry as a successful solo artist, especially coming out of a pop group but props to her. I’m really hoping the future singles will at least have better lyrics and will feel more authentic. Again, the vibe is halfway there and I think she’s in the right direction. Wishing her the best.

• Like 1

A really good watch. This YouTuber makes a good point while using JoJo as an example. JoJo has been influenced by black culture and r&b/hip hop music, yet she’s never been accused of blackfishing. Basically, there’s a way to go about this without the way that Jesy did it.

Also,”boyz” is #123 on iTunes. Hopefully Jesy fixes this and she and Nicki apologize to Leigh-Anne for clearly fake messages. I still cannot fathom Nicki getting on video to defend this and attack another woman of color who just had twins. Sigh

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, gapeach704 said:

A really good watch. This YouTuber makes a good point while using JoJo as an example. JoJo has been influenced by black culture and r&b/hip hop music, yet she’s never been accused of blackfishing. Basically, there’s a way to go about this without the way that Jesy did it.

Also,”boyz” is #123 on iTunes. Hopefully Jesy fixes this and she and Nicki apologize to Leigh-Anne for clearly fake messages. I still cannot fathom Nicki getting on video to defend this and attack another woman of color who just had twins. Sigh

I don't know how many times you need to be told the messages are real, the person who Leigh had the conversation with has shared multiple screen recordings and went on instagram lives showing it.

If Leigh hadn't wrote these messages none of this mess would have happened.

Guess what? Jesy's market is the UK not the US, where she's doing very well.

But yes I do think Jesy should educate herself more.

3 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I don't know how many times you need to be told the messages are real, the person who Leigh had the conversation with has shared multiple screen recordings and went on instagram lives showing it.

If Leigh hadn't wrote these messages none of this mess would have happened.

Guess what? Jesy's market is the UK not the US, where she's doing very well.

But yes I do think Jesy should educate herself more.

Even if the messages are real, the problem is still with what Jesy did/is doing. I personally do not believe they're real, and a lot of people feel the same.  And then for Nicki to go on live and perpetuate the "angry black woman" stereotype towards Leigh-Anne...it's just messy and I was hopeful that Jesy's split would be smooth.  This is just not it.  But, the Youtuber in that video had really good points.  So maybe Jesy's next single should feature JoJo since JoJo is unproblematic and her entire discography is influenced by R&B and Hip-Hop. But this, is not how you make a debut. Sad their breakup is messier than 5H's.  I still cry over the 5H breakup...

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, gapeach704 said:

Even if the messages are real, the problem is still with what Jesy did/is doing. I personally do not believe they're real, and a lot of people feel the same.  And then for Nicki to go on live and perpetuate the "angry black woman" stereotype towards Leigh-Anne...it's just messy and I was hopeful that Jesy's split would be smooth.  This is just not it.  But, the Youtuber in that video had really good points.  So maybe Jesy's next single should feature JoJo since JoJo is unproblematic and her entire discography is influenced by R&B and Hip-Hop. But this, is not how you make a debut. Sad their breakup is messier than 5H's.  I still cry over the 5H breakup...

A JoJo feature would be great but I don't think Jo would be up for it with all this drama. :mj_reading_paper_michael_jackson_blinking_glasses: It probably didn't even cross Jesy's mind anyway, I'm sure she'll aim for high profile artists like Nicki. Hopefully not many doors were closed for her after this...

This is going to be very draining for Jesy. It feels like it gets worse every day on the internet. Majority of LM fans on social media are acting as if she never existed.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, boyinthemirror said:

A JoJo feature would be great but I don't think Jo would be up for it with all this drama. :mj_reading_paper_michael_jackson_blinking_glasses: It probably didn't even cross Jesy's mind anyway, I'm sure she'll aim for high profile artists like Nicki. Hopefully not many doors were closed for her after this...

This is going to be very draining for Jesy. It feels like it gets worse every day on the internet. Majority of LM fans on social media are acting as if she never existed.

I mean, what’s making it worse is how she’s doubling down on it rather than apologizing 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Slayer said:

You clearly are one-sided, Jesy apologised during the live.

She needs to apologize to Leigh-Anne.  Jesy told us fans that she left LM to focus on her mental health which all of the fans (including me) supported.  But, what about Leigh-Anne's mental health? She sat there and said nothing while Nicki was attacking her on live.  And Leigh-Anne just had twins.  That's just the lowest of the low.  You can't shout that you're an advocate for mental health, while tearing someone else down.  Just saying

• Love 2

This song is awful. I feel like if you have to sample an old song and put Nicki Minaj on your debut single as a solo artist, there’s just not much hope lol. Cheap tricks to try to get a hit. I’m not a huge little mix fan, but I think her leaving little mix was a mistake. I guess maybe she’ll do well in the UK, but I don’t think she’ll be able to cross over to the us. We’ll see tho, hope her future music is more pop, and less trying to be Doja Cat. And didn’t Nicki retire?!

• Love 5

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block