Normani tweeted on Slave 4 U Video being 20 year old ❤️

Moscow

the pop queen and her predecessor. You only really understand once you’ve had such an impact and made a cultural shift like normani has…… it never quite hit her just how big of an impact motivation would have on not just music or the culture, but the entire world. Girl boss. 

• Haha 7
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

It’s always fascinating to me how Britney’s music and art aged like the finest wine. I’m assuming that people back in the day, including the rock’n’roll zeitgeists of Generation X had this impression that Britney was just going to be an early 2000s fad who made artificial music that would soon be forgotten but look at her now. Her relevance in today’s pop culture, music and amongst today’s crop of stars has really stood the test of time out of anybody from that era — maybe other than Beyoncé. Like I can‘t think of any major pop artist today that hasn’t spoken on Britney and her direct influence towards them. A true force of nature who’s brilliance was always undermined and discredited. I’m so glad the newer generation is able to see her for the legendary pop artist she is. She was truly ahead of the pack and during a time when pop music was always looked down on.

So true, and thank you for not discrediting Beyoncé’s success either. I think that these two are such a rare breed, and for Britney especially to have become a blueprint and authentic visual artist in her own right, relying on imagery that was fully her own so early in her career.

Whether it was Baby, Oops, DLBTLTK, Slave (I know it’s subject to dispute but she genuinely green lit the whole thing) and Toxic, it’s all her all the time. 
the musif video during this time was of course very important to be doing well on MTV’s rotation, many videos had a very campy 2000s made for TV/movies energy to them, and rightfully so.

But Britney’s really had a quality that put her on par with the likes of Michael and Janet. She could REALLY dance which is what differentiated her from others at the time. Look at how well and fresh the imagery and overall atmosphere of the Neptunes track is. The song itself is excellent, amidst relying on a sample baseline. it’s original. Beyond the song itself, the video….  Compared to the videos out that time Is just- idk. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Rik said:

So true, and thank you for not discrediting Beyoncé’s success either. I think that these two are such a rare breed, and for Britney especially to have become a blueprint and authentic visual artist in her own right, relying on imagery that was fully her own. 

Whether it was Baby, Oops, DLBTLTK, Slave (I know it’s subject to dispute but she genuinely green lit the whole thing) and Toxic, it’s all her all the time. 
the musif video during this time was of course very important to be doing well on MTV’s rotation, many videos had a very campy 2000s made for TV/movies energy to them, and rightfully so.

But Britney’s really had a quality that put her on par with the likes of Michael and Janet. She could REALLY dance which is what differentiated her from others at the time. Look at how well and fresh the imagery and overall atmosphere of the Neptunes track is. The song itself is excellent, amidst relying on a sample baseline. it’s original. Beyond the song itself, the video….  Compared to the videos out that time Is just- idk. 

Slave is just an overall brilliant pop culture moment. It was tastefully done in every way possible and it was THE perfect follow as a lead for her third album. The rollout was excellent. The shackles were off and she expressed herself that paved the way for others to rightfully do so. Imagine having three LITERAL cultural resets as your lead singles and within three years in a row — BOMT in 99, OIDIA in 00, and Slave in 01 — all with iconic imagery attached. It’s no wonder she became the most famous woman on the planet. She worked her *** off when no one else did or was willing to do so. I don’t think you guys actually understand that Britney is arguably the biggest pop music legend in all of history. No one did what she did and was able to execute it as perfect as can be. Her legacy is forever cemented and she is the greatest pop star of all time. Period.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

Slave is just an overall brilliant pop culture moment. It was tastefully done in every way possible and it was THE perfect follow as a lead for her third album. The rollout was excellent. The shackles were off and she expressed herself that paved the way for others to rightfully do so. Imagine having three LITERAL cultural resets as your lead singles and within three years in a row — BOMT in 99, OIDIA in 00, and Slave in 01 — all with iconic imagery attached. It’s no wonder she became the most famous woman on the planet. She worked her *** off when no one else did or was willing to do so. I don’t think you guys actually understand that Britney is arguably the biggest pop music legend in history. No one did what she did and was able to execute it as perfectly as can be done. 

They tried to sabotage slave 4 u as well, but I believe it’s honestly the game changer. And the beauty of it is her image and sound continued to become even more authentic to her as a result. The fact it was premiered for the first time ever at the VMAs, and was later followed by a performance with Michael Jackson shortly after is insanity. She essentially rebirthed and shut down the max Martin Y2K teen pop mold that night

what’s so great about Britney too is she never had to rely on appropriating Black culture, she would always credit those who worked with her and made it an effort to clarify she was feeling herself. She had an appreciation for rnb music and the Neptunes. Even when others tried to replicate it, it wasn’t the same 

The industry had to keep up with Britney, she was the trend and quite honestly brought a sophistication that I don’t think was present in some of music’s biggest breakout singles even. I genuinely think slave has aged better than vogue 

I also am glad she always tributes Janet during this time 

• Love 1