The ICONIC ‘Call Me Maybe’ turns 10!

DignifiedLove

10 years ago today on September 20th of 2011, Carly Rae Jensen released the now iconic classic, ‘Call Me Maybe’ and pop music would never be the same.

712jo74r3iL._SL1500_.jpg

The pop anthem received massive acclaim becoming a viral sensation and went on to be global hit spanning a total of 9 weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song also reached #1 in 16 countries — including Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Hungary, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Poland, Scotland, Slovakia, South Korea, Switzerland, the UK and Venezuela while also topping the Year-End Charts in 4 countries.

The video, released in March of 2012, has over a billion views on YouTube and is recognized as one of the biggest songs from the 2010s decade going over 10x platinum (Diamond) in the United States alone. It was the best-selling single worldwide in 2012 and remains the best-selling single of the century by a female solo artist. It has shifted a total of over 18 million units worldwide, according to the IFPI. It is the 7th best-selling digital single — to date. 

The song was nominated for 2 GRAMMY Awards which included Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance but lost to ‘We Are Young’ by Fun and ‘Set Fire to the Rain’ by Adele. 

In 2017,  Billboard.com ranked the song at #1 on their ‘The Best Chorus of the 21st Century’ list and recently in September of 2021, RollingStone placed the song at #436 on their ‘500 Greatest Songs of All Time’ list.

Here some viral parodies and spoofs that will surely take you back in time. :fakecry_christina_aguilera_xtina_crying_tears_wipe_sad:

Edited by Midnight
  • Love 6
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Midnight said:

A cultural reset an undeniable masterpiece? Successica not your exceptional taste being tainted like this.

Anyway, everytime I hear this song I die a little inside :whitney_houston_huh_oh_really_well_look_stare_welp:

It’s an amazing, catchy song!! :liar_red_mad_angry_anger_yell_slap: Even back in the day, I didn’t mind it. I would say nowadays I love it even more because of the early 2010s nostalgia attached to it. 

• Love 2
  • Content Curators
27 minutes ago, SUCCESSICA IS A QUEEN said:

It’s an amazing, catchy song!! :liar_red_mad_angry_anger_yell_slap: Even back in the day, I didn’t mind it. I would say nowadays I love it even more because of the early 2010s nostalgia attached to it. 

:alook_meme_down_up_look_see:

I'm gonna pretend like I never read that from you.

Thoughts and prayers, get well soon.

• Love 1

I wanna be there when you touch fire

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block