Anitta saying the n-word during Instagram live

Jordan Miller

You guys are so progressive and woke, congrats on supporting a great cause... :clownery_makeup_meme:

There's literally like a 100 latino rappers who say it in every song they put out. It was dumb when they tried to attack JLo for saying it and it's dumb now. But at least it made sense in 2001 when Jennifer Lopez use to play movie roles that passed her off as white. Fat Joe has been saying it his music for 25 years and featured with black artist where he says it. 

Where is the rule that states what type of mixed race heritage person can say the N word and which ones can't? Doja Cat is half white :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

The rapper Latto literally says the N word 8 times in Big Energy, her biggest hit. Her name is LATTO because she's half WHITE :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

Most Latino people come from mixed race heritage and some are more white passing or just white. Annita is clearly a woman of color. :duh_mind_thinking_smart_meme:

So sick of people looking for a cause to push social justice where there isnt one. And this could all be eliminated if people stopped giving words so much power, it's silly. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

3 hours ago, Avatar said:

You guys are so progressive and woke, congrats on supporting a great cause... :clownery_makeup_meme:

There's literally like a 100 latino rappers who say it in every song they put out. It was dumb when they tried to attack JLo for saying it and it's dumb now. But at least it made sense in 2001 when Jennifer Lopez use to play movie roles that passed her off as white. Fat Joe has been saying it his music for 25 years and featured with black artist where he says it. 

Where is the rule that states what type of mixed race heritage person can say the N word and which ones can't? Doja Cat is half white :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

The rapper Latto literally says the N word 8 times in Big Energy, her biggest hit. Her name is LATTO because she's half WHITE :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

Most Latino people come from mixed race heritage and some are more white passing or just white. Annita is clearly a woman of color. :duh_mind_thinking_smart_meme:

So sick of people looking for a cause to push social justice where there isnt one. And this could all be eliminated if people stopped giving words so much power, it's silly. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

Aren’t you mixed and Black though lol? Like U can literally say it if u want to and there isn’t a problem …. So hear me out plz I’m not trying to insult u with this.

Perhaps the attitudes expressed in this thread are why Black people are uncomfortable with some mixed people (with Black heritage but appearing as mixed) saying the word. It is about a proximity to whiteness whether people want to accept it or not. Doja is mixed and Black and appears as so, therefore she can say the n word without people thinking she’s not Black and saying it. 

If I remember correctly and am in fact right about this, you don’t need me to explain how your ancestors suffered at the hands of this word and how Black people continue to be ******** or assaulted via the same vein of attitude.

The reason for why Black people (and mixed people who are in fact Black and look Black) can use the word is because they more than likely would and could be subjected to discrimination. As you know, Anti Blackness is alive and well and people still use the word to harm Black people. 

These Jim Crow legacies don’t disappear and certainly continue to have an impact …. For example: Black people’s ability to wear their preferred and protective hair stylings in school and so forth. As you know, AAVE while now adopted by Gen Z, was still pioneered by African Americans and yet they have been kicked out of schools for using it or are told it was not a legitimate dialect as recent as this year. 

I’m not sure if you authentically believe in the effects of colourism, but the reason for why the word is safeguarded for certain mixed (with Black) people… is because there is a level of privilege that does come with being lighter skinned. There is differential treatment between darker skin people even IN the Black community.  If the person doesnt look “Black” or is legitimately so light skinned that they are practically white passing, it kind of makes sense that Black people wouldn’t want them saying the word. Why? Because it gives people the pass to use the n word in whatever way, whether it’s colloquially or in a song, or when legitimately hate criming a Black (including mixed) person. 

it doesn’t matter that Anita is a woman of colour because at the end of the day she is not Black and is not mixed with Black. It is offensive and has been offensive since forever. The word holds power because our Black brothers and sisters are legitimately being harmed by non Black people, in the spirit of that word. You can still be a person or colour and Anti-Black as this rejection cross cuts so many cultures. 

I don’t think there is anything wrong with reclaiming trauma if you belong to a certain marginalized group. How many exhalers joke about how gay something is or colloquially use “f*ggot”? A lot and it’s because they are gay. It’s quite literally the same thing and more lol

and for everyone who isn’t Black (or mixed with Black and appearing as so) has used the n word, it’s not hard to just stop using it. You can literally sit on the right side of history if you make that one small change today and acknowledge why it’s wrong. That’s part of growing. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Rik said:

Aren’t you mixed and Black though lol? Like U can literally say it if u want to and there isn’t a problem …. So hear me out plz I’m not trying to insult u with this.

Perhaps the attitudes expressed in this thread are why Black people are uncomfortable with some mixed people (with Black heritage but appearing as mixed) saying the word. It is about a proximity to whiteness whether people want to accept it or not. Doja is mixed and Black and appears as so, therefore she can say the n word without people thinking she’s not Black and saying it. 

If I remember correctly and am in fact right about this, you don’t need me to explain how your ancestors suffered at the hands of this word and how Black people continue to be ******** or assaulted via the same vein of attitude.

The reason for why Black people (and mixed people who are in fact Black and look Black) can use the word is because they more than likely would and could be subjected to discrimination. As you know, Anti Blackness is alive and well and people still use the word to harm Black people. 

These Jim Crow legacies don’t disappear and certainly continue to have an impact …. For example: Black people’s ability to wear their preferred and protective hair stylings in school and so forth. As you know, AAVE while now adopted by Gen Z, was still pioneered by African Americans and yet they have been kicked out of schools for using it or are told it was not a legitimate dialect as recent as this year. 

I’m not sure if you authentically believe in the effects of colourism, but the reason for why the word is safeguarded for certain mixed (with Black) people… is because there is a level of privilege that does come with being lighter skinned. There is differential treatment between darker skin people even IN the Black community.  If the person doesnt look “Black” or is legitimately so light skinned that they are practically white passing, it kind of makes sense that Black people wouldn’t want them saying the word. Why? Because it gives people the pass to use the n word in whatever way, whether it’s colloquially or in a song, or when legitimately hate criming a Black (including mixed) person. 

it doesn’t matter that Anita is a woman of colour because at the end of the day she is not Black and is not mixed with Black. It is offensive and has been offensive since forever. The word holds power because our Black brothers and sisters are legitimately being harmed by non Black people, in the spirit of that word. You can still be a person or colour and Anti-Black as this rejection cross cuts so many cultures. 

I don’t think there is anything wrong with reclaiming trauma if you belong to a certain marginalized group. How many exhalers joke about how gay something is or colloquially use “f*ggot”? A lot and it’s because they are gay. It’s quite literally the same thing and more lol

and for everyone who isn’t Black (or mixed with Black and appearing as so) has used the n word, it’s not hard to just stop using it. You can literally sit on the right side of history if you make that one small change today and acknowledge why it’s wrong. That’s part of growing. 

Anitta considers herself a black woman. 

And as far as I know there was never a meeting where all the black people in the world decided which people with black heritage were considered black and which ones aren't. Besides Americans one drop rule which created the second-class citizenship and made everyone who didn't even look black, black.

The only black people that get upset with mixed or passing privileged people saying it, are the ones who choose to live in a victim mentality. The same ones who disparage and divide their own people for not being "black enough", or talking in a non stereotypical way. Or they believe that all white people are out to get them and they'll never get ahead in life. Even though there's literally thousands of known successful black people who are richer and more successful than the "Privileged White People"

Attacking people for the words they use, no matter the context is the least progressive and positive thing anyone could do. 

In my experience, most people don't care who says it. It's only when a person in the public eye or someone on social media that they disagree with is when its a big deal. And I say this as a person whos been around many cultures and races, My whole life I've heard white, latino, asian, Middle eastern, native americans all use the word as if it was nothing and nobody said anything or cared. I've seen the token white person get a pass with it with their black friends tons of times. I'm sure Eminem says it all the time, but is smart enough not to on camera.

To this day people of all cultures like to pick and choose which battles and causes they want to push. There's more black on black ******* in American. But we only hear about the white on black ones when they want to push the race narrative to further distract and divide the country. The latest subway shooting in NY, before it came out that the guy was black, everyone hopped on social media to say he was white and that it was white supremacy. And when it came out that he was black, they stopped talking about it. If he was white there would have been riots and fires.

We live in 2022 and people want it to be 1952 so bad.

People of color don't need a safe space and more segregation. They need to interact with everyone and focus on what they have in common and not what makes them different.

Colorado Elementary School Promotes Racially-Segregated Playground Event |  National Review

This is from a school in Colorado from a few weeks ago.

But back on topic. Dave Chapelle had a joke in one of his last specials where the tv network told him he couldnt say f*ggot because he's not gay and he said you let me say N*er all the time on the show and I'm not a N*er either.

Both words have a derogative meaning. But only if you give them power. Maybe people will stop using it when black people stop. But I personally don't believe any word should be banned from use. We can't even type the word s-e-x on this forum.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block