Racial appropriation of Black American Hip Hop Culture by European Society

Watching Netflix today and once again I see a white guy with a grill, the clothes, the swag, etc all steaming from the racial appropriation of Black people in American specifically Hip Hop or urban culture. A Dutch series called Rich Forever is the newest example. I’m always thinking who Greenlite this? Who gave the OK. When you listen to current French rappers many of them sound like The amigos or Lil Baby ... one of them actually has copied everything Lil baby does including the cadence of his rap voice. This includes the British rappers , Africans rappers and of course the Black and White rappers of all of Europe. Who gave you guys permission to copy our culture and not say Thank You? Or just acknowledge these are our influences! It’s very frustrating to watch the world steal from my culture while black Americans many times are shunned or ostracized for the same lyrics or behaviors . Why is this ok ? And why aren’t more people talking about it? So yeah Let’s Talk .

-MeccaBKnowing 

I will never understand how this could be an issue. 

I mean if you’re a singer/rapper/musician, you are who you are because of the artists you listened to. They shape you artistically and it is inevitable that elements of those artists get attached to you. 

How many people would go “I did this first” when it’s clear they haven’t?

It’s up to anyone’s intelligence to understand who draws influence, who copies and who brags. But I do not agree that artists should ask permission to express themselves or that they have to thank their inspirations. Their artistry already does.  

Did Monet ask for permission? Did Michelangelo? Did Bach, Mozart, Beethoven?

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods

Here's the thing, Europeans don't have problems with racism the way Americans do. That's why the story of us "appropriating" anything will never fly. 

We don't selectively make sure black youth has bad elementary education and therefore never get higher education. Our police doesn't shoot at black people the moment they see them, nor do they assume they're criminals the moment they pull them over for a speeding ticket.

The European ladies don't randomly scream at black people in Lidl or TESCO or any huge supermarket chain accusing them of ridiculous things. 

HR's don't single out black candidates on interviews and give them less opportunities. 

European governments are simply not racist, or if they are, not as nearly as the USA one. This topic is unnecessary. Black community in Europe, is, was, and always will be seen as equal to anybody else. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 2

You have to know that most of Europeans are veryyy ignorant when it comes to these stuff and they don't understand what they are doing. They simply don't know what is wrong because they are ignorant and they have no idea about sm things. This isn't USA. It's a totally different culture and mindset. Trust me, most of the time they DON'T KNOW they are doing something racist like for real.

• Like 1

in many european countries 'race' doesnt really exist - that was a third reich thing and we've moved past that

in fact apart from english the word race is almost never used to refer to humans

also europe is small and packed so people are used to cultures mixing

lastly american culture, including hip hop is broadcasted everywhere in the media, its just what people see and many people look up to that cuz we dont really have local movies or music at least not as much or as good quality

u cant see europe through american lenses, it just wont work

• Like 2
On 9/21/2021 at 1:33 AM, The One and Only said:

You have to know that most of Europeans are veryyy ignorant when it comes to these stuff and they don't understand what they are doing. They simply don't know what is wrong because they are ignorant and they have no idea about sm things. This isn't USA. It's a totally different culture and mindset. Trust me, most of the time they DON'T KNOW they are doing something racist like for real.

OMG ITS EXACTLY THE OPPISITE. WHATT??? when it comes to racism europe is 2097258353 years ahead of US. maybe thats why it comes off as ignorant to you because they simply do see everyone the same. LIKE its only since recently, Floyd, that US Is finally starting to disscuss it openly even.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Markoct said:

OMG ITS EXACTLY THE OPPISITE. WHATT??? when it comes to racism europe is 2097258353 years ahead of US. maybe thats why it comes off as ignorant to you because they simply do see everyone the same. LIKE its only since recently, Floyd, that US Is finally starting to disscuss it openly even.

Europe is literally the place where racism started... Educate yourself about colonialism first, sweetheart.

And also, there's more of European countries where black people are very rare so maybe that's why it seems to you there's no racism

1 hour ago, The One and Only said:

Europe is literally the place where racism started... Educate yourself about colonialism first, sweetheart.

And also, there's more of European countries where black people are very rare so maybe that's why it seems to you there's no racism

Sounds to me like your education is very cherry picked and weak.

Europe is NOT where racism started; it existed from the dawn of mankind to say at least. Please stop with the bold headlines.

What it is however is the first place that placed huge efforts to end it.

For your homework you should research more aboit racism on other continents through history and present day and find out that there is more than just black, white and asian and for extra points you should figure out how not only you are not helping to make the world a better place but on contrary.

It is sad to see how non linear world and humankind problems are forced into linear narrative.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, White Tiger said:

Europe is NOT where racism started; it existed from the dawn of mankind to say at least. Please stop with the bold headlines.

For your homework you should research more aboit racism on other continents through history and present day and find out that there is more than just black, white and asian and for extra points you should figure out how not only you are not helping to make the world a better place but on contrary.

It is sad to see how non linear world and humankind problems are forced into linear narrative.

Don't take everything that literally, I meant the fact that Europeans killed sm people and cultures through colonialism and all of these other horrible stuff. Study literally says that European slaughter of Native Americans changed the climate. The world has never seen before that level of racism I feel.

I think it is difficult to understand in the US because they have very important racism issues. But cultures are always mixing and for thousands of years it has been like that. Think are passed on to other cultures, this has been like that since before the Roman empire. We took many things from the Egyptians, Greeks, Arabs. Like fellow users mentioned, the word "race" is barely used in Europe except some countries that i won't mention. Besides that, it is very much assumed that we are all mixed. I think the problem in Europe is more the classism.

You should expect that if other cultures like what your culture offers, more things will be passed over. That is how it works.

2 hours ago, The One and Only said:

Omg :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile: ok doll. Keep thinkimg they way you think. I see a bright future.

1 hour ago, White Tiger said:

THANK YOU

• Super Mods
6 hours ago, The One and Only said:

That goes exclusively for western europe (spain, portugal, uk, netherlands, france, belgium). The rest of europe (eastern, central and northern) never really colonized African countries in the first place. Or any country for that matter. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block