Why Was Scream and Shout so Successful?

Kletus

It was most importantly a hit with the kids I was in 6th grade at the time and girls were always singing it, and William was still quite popular and Britney was still a mainstream enough that middle schooler knew about her thanks to xfactor but it still wasn’t openly acceptable to blast her music and be a Britney fan, which I actually wasn’t a Britney fan until work ***** 

• Like 1

I live in the UK and will.i.am was really popular here at the time of the song’s release so I’m not surprised it was a hit here.

Tbh I’m surprised it was a hit in the US as will.i.am’s singles at the time weren’t taking off there. Even That Power with Justin Bieber flopped…. 

• Like 1

I never thought it was all that to begin with. Brit had a good part in the song, but to me it was still Will's song even though Brit was the one who really sold it. Without her I don't think it would have been as big as a hit or at least not as in the public consciousness at the time if it was with someone else.

Now I still don't understand how it still streams well. Most of the streams are given to him as lead, even though it blew up more because of Brit.

3 hours ago, itsxrichiexbish said:

Definitely the Britney b line... and just a theory but I think that’s why Britney worked with will.I.am, her team wanted to replicate that success... maybe she didn’t want to primarily work with him. Idk just my theory

This is obvious that they wanted to replicate that level of success but other than Work ***** there was no good attempt at it. Work ***** had many things but that instrumental during chorus wasn't watching enough.

Going back to Scream and Shout, when you are in a club the melody is insane. Its like it explodes... 

10 hours ago, RAITEI said:

This is obvious that they wanted to replicate that level of success but other than Work ***** there was no good attempt at it. Work ***** had many things but that instrumental during chorus wasn't watching enough.

Going back to Scream and Shout, when you are in a club the melody is insane. Its like it explodes... 

can’t relate. I disliked this song so much because of William and how Britney’s role was very limited in this song.

will.i.am was pretty big in Europe and the UK so he helped there. FF era had been a flop in most European countries.

Britney was riding the downfall of the digital era in the US in which itunes sales still counted a lot on the billboard charts (Scream and Shout actually could have hit #1 if billboard hadn't change the rules to favor streaming in 2013, so the week the remix launched, it barely helped the song repeak at #3 while Harlem Shake got to #1).

FF had been a great era for her presence in radio spins and Xfactor helped a lot too.

I think Scream & Shout is a blessing and a curse. It is her biggest selling and charting song of the 2010s BUT it gave team con the idea (once again) that she was so massive that they could literally release anything without promo/purpose/heart (Britney Jean) off her name and still get tons of cash.