VMA: No Britney, no ratings

She should never perform at the VMAS, mainly because it just for very young kids now. The older we get the more we see it's just big business using these singing children to spread a message :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:  I think Britney should perform only when she wants, like in the bedroom for Sam :deserves_kim_kardashian_smirk_pink:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

And I laugh my *** off. I was scrolling through the guide and saw just how many channels the VMAs were on and they still can't get a ******* audience. Maybe they should start paying people to watch? :ohi_okay_chewing_gum_well_welp:

Award shows are on par with talk shows imo. I hate watching them. I'll DVR it and fast forward to what I want to see because I have zero interest in watching the whole thing. 

The show is just trash at this point.  They try to be so over the top and it always just falls so flat.  Back in the 90’s - early 2000’s it was pretty much a standard awards show, but with a little bit of an edge.  The stage wasn’t some absurd shape (and it wasn’t the size of a standard kitchen)…all the nominees showed up…nowadays it’s pretty much just the winners that show up (which makes it super predictable)…there used to be an array of performers from Rock, Rap, Pop, Country, R&B, Etc…now it’s just basically pop and rap…it didn’t try too hard back in the day…it was just a really cool awards show.  It lost its appeal, to me in 2007.  Yes, Britney was there, but it was so all over the place…in Vegas with performances in a million different places throughout Vegas.  Ever since it went down.  I haven’t watched since 2016 (that one sucked too) but I feel like the amount of awards they give out has gone down too.  Idk it’s just not interesting anymore.  MTV has lost all credibility.  It might as well be called RTV (the R standing for Rediculousness, because that’s pretty much all they air).

• Love 1
  • Like 2
20 hours ago, HeavenOnHell said:

Time has changed and so much. And music nowadays is mostly bad and so are the newer artists and the vmas and all the award sh?t shows.

Its hard to have an appetite and excitement to watch on tv nowadays because you can watch them anytime and anywhere online. Just a single google search will feed you of your wanted artist or show or movie or whatevs.

So i guess the wide use of internet is to blame after all? 

Hmmmm.

:mhmnod_yes_agree_nodding:

And that kinda bums me out. I got into a lot of old stuff I like because of stuff like Pop Up Video (original version). I enjoyed how they truly showed random videos from up to date stuff, old stuff to rare stuff. Stuff like that did give people a peek at stuff they might not hear otherwise because they don't know about it to look it up. If you do know about the stuff, yeah, it's out of date. Why watch it when you can go to youtube or go to wikipedia to look up factoids? I had tried watching the up to date Pop Up Video and it seemed like it was stuff pulled off Wikipedia. The original could be on the snarky side.

On 9/16/2021 at 8:09 AM, Stannedforever said:

Awards shows are a relic from the time when people used to go on music stores and BUY albums/singles, and artist had to be creative with their songs, music videos, performances and tours to lure people to buy those albums/singles, meanwhile nowadays artist can produce endless amounts of generic filler songs to spotify and albums are meaningless collections of those spotify songs. Artists nowadays get awarded for being mediocrely popular :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

THIS

VMA became irrelevant because it's all about streams and followers these days :demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup: Gen-Z has a short attention spam thanks to TikTok so they can't sit down for 3 hours to watch attention hungry B or C list 'artists'. 

People will just watch short clips on YouTube and check red carpet pics the next day. That's it :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod:

• Love 2
On 9/16/2021 at 7:15 AM, Body ache said:

Before the "M" in MTV ceased to stand for “music,” the VMAs was a gigantic ratings spectacle for decades. The awards show racked up its highest rating in 2011 with 12.4 million viewers tuning in, beating its previous record of 11.95 million in 2002.

In 2011 it already was ceased to stand for “music". Looking Let Me Think GIF by TipsyElves.com

I think is more that nowdays with internet you can see the show in other moments, or see specific moments of the show.

I know im VERY late to this but:

LOL really? THAT LITTLE VIEWS?? :weusay_tiffany_cackle_cackling_chuckle_giggle_lol_haha_hehe_laugh::haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

This shows how bad the VMAs and music in general has become.

Its sad though cause the VMAs used to be a big exciting thing to look forward to

and now it isnt.

And maybe its a sign that im getting old but I BARELY know a few of the "stars" that went there.

• Like 1