VMA Ratings TANK

KrisJ

The VMAs will soon stop airing, and then resurrect themselves a la American Idol for Britney's (far in the future) comeback, whenever that is, and they'll hype it and make up a new award for her.

I hate the VMAs ever since Toxic didn't win and really any of her videos. I mean... I feel like all the POM ones were sympathy, and let's be honest, she should've won for SO MANY OTHERS ... that one... :gross_britney_ew_sick_red_sunglasses_cringe_disgusted:

• Love 2

I wanna say something about Britney being at the VMA’s in 2015 and 2016

-Britney appeared as a presenter at the 2015 VMA’s: low ratings

-Britney appeared as a performer (as well as Beyoncé) at the 2016 VMA’s: still low ratings

Even if Britney had made a surprise appearance at this years Video Music Awards, it still would’ve gotten low ratings. I really hate that fact because Britney is the VMA’s and her presence truly makes everything better 😞 it would’ve been nice if Britney (and even Miley and Ariana) were there at the VMA’s to make things more tolerable 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

this is the thing

I keep asking the same every year, do young people even watch TV anymore?

It makes total sense that it has a greater social media interaction than TV rating. Again, who's watching tv these days? And if there's people watching it, it must be the older generations, who have no connection whatsoever with the people attending these events nowadays.

Not to mention the whole fact that MTV doesn't even play music anymore, so what are they even celebrating with these shows? Like, the nominations are based on what, or which artists are expected to perform?

I ignore if they actually do it, but as you say, they should just air the show online, and then add everything on snippets on their social media pages.

I totally agree with you, this is not a music channel anymore and the generations have changed.

I hear you about the lackluster performances, @Rik but I really don't think that is all. 17 year olds don't care about Janet or Britney the way their core fan bases did back when and do. I think these channels aiming to attract young people's viewership need to rebrand themselves. As @PokemonSpears said, these people just have a totally different mindset, different interests and mentalities. They binge watch only what they care about, without having to deal with anything that they dont like, enjoy or care about. The experience is totally individualized. Even I, not being a teenager, but in my twenties, rather catch a performance online than sitting through the whole thing. Also, most of these new "big time celebrities" have different selling points than those of the early two thousands. I just think things have unavoidably changed and some entities are struggling to realize that. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, FlexAroundTheWorld said:

The VMAs will soon stop airing, and then resurrect themselves a la American Idol for Britney's (far in the future) comeback, whenever that is, and they'll hype it and make up a new award for her.

I hate the VMAs ever since Toxic didn't win and really any of her videos. I mean... I feel like all the POM ones were sympathy, and let's be honest, she should've won for SO MANY OTHERS ... that one... :gross_britney_ew_sick_red_sunglasses_cringe_disgusted:

Its common knowledge public voting on all awards began in 2006.

That's how Britney started winning the public had a say who's the winner..

It wasn't sympathy cos the fans voted for Britney spears and she started winning.  

@Isla said  toxic losing to crazy in love makes sense cos VMAS had a committee who determined the winners prior to 2006

• Love 1
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

Well ... there wasn't ..

Shawn Mendes

Camilla 

NYSYNC

(They presented during the show too)

Paris Hilton

etc...

Haha I know what you were getting at but a lot of those people were there and presented or performed.  Just in case you’d like to see, couldn’t find the links from the show of the presenters but found them on the carpet.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Alio said:

I don't know how to feel about it but I'm 33 now, when I was watching live and screaming like crazy was back when Britney was kissing Madonna...now it's a new generation, I don't even know who they are ! It's for the new kids. Do I think it's crap now ? Of course :ipass_britney_xfactor_no_words: but every generation says that when their world has changed...

( I still believe our generation with Britney was the best anyway, right ? ) :bsass_britney_boys_nod:

Yep I’m 27 now and We lived in the best time for sure!! 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, KrisJ said:

- Only 900K viewers

- MTV saw a 31 per cent plummet in viewership from last year's award show 

- The VMAs have seen declining numbers since 2011, which peaked at 12.4million viewers

- But social media interactions are high, with the 2021 VMAs pulling in more social media reaction than the Super Bowl for the first time 

- No Britney = No Ratings

Source

Those are the main channel numbers vma full ratings come out later when all the channels are calculated. Last years main channel numbers were only 1.3 mil but total numbers were 6.4 million when all the other channels were added. 

Why do y'all love to hate so much?:sippinga_gaga_hotel_ahs_drinking_sipping_wine_spill_tea:

All award shows are tanking, not just the VMAs. People no longer watch awards live, they just care about headlines and performances the second day.

The 2021 VMAs were probably the best MTV did in a very long while, probably since 2016. I mean surely there was no Britney or Gaga or Beyonce... but Normani, Chloe, Lil Nas X, Olivia, and Doja deserve recognition. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block